The benefits of being Nearsighted

Scott

Guest
So I'm riding home the other day, just before crossing
a huge intersection, and a mammoth bee bounces off the
lens of my glasses. <phew> (Well, it *looked* mammoth
from real close up!)

But it made me think -- what if my head had been tilted
just a wee bit differently and the bee got trapped
between the lens and my eye. I suppose such a
thing can happen. Ouch!

I guess if I didn't wear glasses, goggles would be
something I'd be looking at.

Scott

Scott wrote:
> So I'm riding home the other day, just before crossing
> a huge intersection, and a mammoth bee bounces off the
> lens of my glasses. <phew> (Well, it *looked* mammoth
> from real close up!)
>
> But it made me think -- what if my head had been tilted
> just a wee bit differently and the bee got trapped
> between the lens and my eye. I suppose such a
> thing can happen. Ouch!
>
> I guess if I didn't wear glasses, goggles would be
> something I'd be looking at.

There's also a middle-ground solution called "sunglasses" -- even with clear
lenses for night riding.

Bill "risk compensation" S.

Scott wrote:

> So I'm riding home the other day, just before crossing
> a huge intersection, and a mammoth bee bounces off the
> lens of my glasses. <phew> (Well, it *looked* mammoth
> from real close up!)
>
> But it made me think -- what if my head had been tilted
> just a wee bit differently and the bee got trapped
> between the lens and my eye. I suppose such a
> thing can happen. Ouch!
>
> I guess if I didn't wear glasses, goggles would be
> something I'd be looking at.
>
> Scott

When riding, one must always wear glasses,
Or else, crud into you eyes will crashes.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

Bill Sornson wrote:

> There's also a middle-ground solution called "sunglasses" -- even with clear
> lenses for night riding.
>
> Bill "risk compensation" S.

AGREED! There is no advantage to being nearsighted.

Mr. Magoo

Bob Wheeler wrote:

> When riding, one must always wear glasses,
> Or else, crud into you eyes will crashes.

Proofread poems (?) before posting,
Or your ass, will get a roasting.

<eg>

"Bill Sornson" wrote:
> Proofread poems (?) before posting,
> Or your ass, will get a roasting.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If your poems are always like those,
I prefer that you write only prose.

when you get old though, you will still be able to read by taking your
glasses off.

wle.

wle wrote:
> when you get old though, you will still be able to read by taking your
> glasses off.

I am old!!
Actually the problem resolves with age. I developed cataracts, had
them taken care of and wound up with 20-25 vision. First time I don't
need glasses since I was 10.

I submit that on or about Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:49:12 -0500, the person
known to the court as Scott <[email protected]> made a
statement (<[email protected]> in Your Honour's bundle)
to the following effect:

>So I'm riding home the other day, just before crossing
>a huge intersection, and a mammoth bee bounces off the
>lens of my glasses. <phew> (Well, it *looked* mammoth
>from real close up!)

That's nothing. The arbor snapped on my power tool and threw the
diamond cutting blade in my face. They were still washing pieces of
polycarbonate out of my eye two hours later, but no long-term damage
was done.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

gds <[email protected]> wrote:

> AGREED! There is no advantage to being nearsighted.

You obviously have never removed your glasses and used your "bad" eye
to examine something tiny from inches away instead of having to rummage
around trying to find the magnifying glass.

Bill, who caught a bee in the lens today too.

| You can fool some of the people all of the time, |
| and those are the ones you have to focus on. |
| -- George W. Bush |

Beiung nearsighted as well, I have been riding with glasses for all my
33 years on (and off) the road.

Funny why it took the rest of the cycling world so long to figure out
the benefits...

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" wrote: (clip) Funny why it took the rest of the
cycling world so long to figure out the benefits...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Because they are not farsighted.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:49:12 -0500, Scott <[email protected]>
wrote:

>But it made me think -- what if my head had been tilted
>just a wee bit differently and the bee got trapped
>between the lens and my eye. I suppose such a
>thing can happen. Ouch!

Yeah, my dad caught a beetle like that the other week. OTOH, I
smacked a swallowtail butterfly last week. Don't duck -- that would
let the insect get above the glasses.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Patrick Lamb wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:49:12 -0500, Scott <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>But it made me think -- what if my head had been tilted
>>just a wee bit differently and the bee got trapped
>>between the lens and my eye. I suppose such a
>>thing can happen. Ouch!

> Yeah, my dad caught a beetle like that the other week. OTOH, I
> smacked a swallowtail butterfly last week. Don't duck -- that would
> let the insect get above the glasses.

I've learned the hard way not to ride with jersey unzipped at certain
times of the year. I'm much more concerned about inhaling a bee or wasp
through my mouth and being stung in the throat. I've swallowed a few
bugs that way, the big ones can get stuck, I've also learned to always
leave a little water in my bottle to wash them down.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Bill Sornson" wrote:
>
>>Proofread poems (?) before posting,
>>Or your ass, will get a roasting.

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> If your poems are always like those,
> I prefer that you write only prose.

Stick to the bike, I say to thee
for a poet thou ne'er will be..

gds wrote:
> wle wrote:
>
>>when you get old though, you will still be able to read by taking your
>>glasses off.
>>

> I am old!!
> Actually the problem resolves with age. I developed cataracts, had
> them taken care of and wound up with 20-25 vision. First time I don't
> need glasses since I was 10.

I'm as blind as a bat... and I guess becuase of it I began to have that
'close vision' problem earlier than 40. Around 35 I began to notice
reading small print was a problem... when i wear my contacts especially.
It means also that doing closeup stuff like fixing a flat can be an
ordeal when you can't really see. F&ck this... as soon as I can afford
it I'm getting my eyes lazered. I know it doesnt't fix the closeup
problem but at least I won't have to wear contacts anymore. NOw I have a
pair of dumb reading glasses from the dollar store that I wear with
contacts so I can read menus, but they're kind of funky, not old biddy
glasses. I can't wait until I can get the lazer treatment!