The 'bent scene today: still a fever for coroplast? : )

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jeff Potter, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    Anyone care to take a stab at what they think the bent scene is like today? How has it
    changed recently?

    I'm also wondering if people are as coo-coo for coroplast as they were a few years back.

    I think it's great stuff, but offhand (I'm a bit out of the loop) it seems like not as much is
    being done.

    It seems like Low-racers are going great guns. As are perhaps Compacts. Seems like maybe prices are
    coming way down for high quality compacts.

    Or maybe it's all 'whistling in the graveyard'?

    Are there any clearly bestselling overall bents? Are SWB's as popular as ever? Does the TE keep
    chugging away on top?

    I did note that the Sun EZ Trike was 'world's bestselling bent' there. Interesting stuff.

    Has Bob Bryant or Bryan done a recent "State of the Biz" essay?

    Thanks!

    --

    Jeff Potter
    ****

    Tags:

  2. Might want to tell yourself that theres a world outside the US too. ;-) (As most of your questions
    only have meaning in the US)

    Cheers Mikael

    "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone care to take a stab at what they think the bent scene is like today? How has it changed
    > recently?
    >
    > I'm also wondering if people are as coo-coo for coroplast as they were a few years back.
    >
    > I think it's great stuff, but offhand (I'm a bit out of the loop) it seems like not as much is
    > being done.
    >
    > It seems like Low-racers are going great guns. As are perhaps Compacts. Seems like maybe prices
    > are coming way down for high quality compacts.
    >
    > Or maybe it's all 'whistling in the graveyard'?
    >
    > Are there any clearly bestselling overall bents? Are SWB's as popular as ever? Does the TE keep
    > chugging away on top?
    >
    > I did note that the Sun EZ Trike was 'world's bestselling bent' there. Interesting stuff.
    >
    > Has Bob Bryant or Bryan done a recent "State of the Biz" essay?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jeff Potter
    > ****
    > *Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself
    > culture... ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies... ...rare books on ski,
    > bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller about smalltown smuggling ... more radical novels
    > coming up! ...original downloadable music ... and articles galore! plus national "Off the Beaten
    > Path" travel forums! HOLY SMOKES!

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > Might want to tell yourself that theres a world outside the US too. ;-) (As most of your questions
    > only have meaning in the US)
    >
    > Cheers Mikael
    >
    > "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Anyone care to take a stab at what they think the bent scene is like today? How has it changed
    > > recently?
    > >
    > > I'm also wondering if people are as coo-coo for coroplast as they were a few years back.
    > >
    > > I think it's great stuff, but offhand (I'm a bit out of the loop) it seems like not as much is
    > > being done.
    > >
    > > It seems like Low-racers are going great guns. As are perhaps Compacts. Seems like maybe prices
    > > are coming way down for high quality compacts.
    > >
    > > Or maybe it's all 'whistling in the graveyard'?
    > >
    > > Are there any clearly bestselling overall bents? Are SWB's as popular as ever? Does the TE keep
    > > chugging away on top?
    > >
    > > I did note that the Sun EZ Trike was 'world's bestselling bent' there. Interesting stuff.
    > >
    > > Has Bob Bryant or Bryan done a recent "State of the Biz" essay?

    I would be surprised if corrugated polymer board [1] was not available in Europe.

    Most lowracers currently being produced [2] are from Europe.

    Bryan Ball is currently in Europe courtesy of the United States Air Force.

    [1] To use the generic term - Coroplast is a registered trademark.
    [2] As are most out of production lowracers. However, as we all know, the best out of production
    lowracer was built in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA. :)

    Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

  4. "Tom Sherman" skrev

    > I would be surprised if corrugated polymer board [1] was not available in Europe.

    Well if you could find me some pieces greater than a sheet of paper here in Denmark I'd be eternally
    grateful. Might even say nice things about that little runt of a bike you keep babbling about. ;o)

    Mikael

  5. Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Anyone care to take a stab at what they think the bent scene is like today? How has it changed
    : recently?

    Bents are entering public awareness, we are seeing slow

    and more mature. Well, I guess it hasn't changed that much recently.

    : It seems like Low-racers are going great guns. As are perhaps Compacts. Seems like maybe prices
    : are coming way down for high quality compacts.

    Cycle Vision is ruled by low-racers, and a few velomobiles. SWB bikes are becoming the norm of the
    bent world. Compacts as in CLWB? Not really. Tadpoles are somewhat popular, at least locally. What
    is coroplast? ;p

  6. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    > Might want to tell yourself that theres a world outside the US too. ;-)

    You are so right Mikael, TEXAS!

    Jerry(430 meters from Mexico)Rhodes

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

  8. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Jeff,

    I recently bought a Mueller Windwrap fairing for my trike. Great device that meets lots of criteria:
    aerodynamics, weatherproofing, adjustability, good looks etc. But, it did not cover my feet well
    enough for the winter.

    The Mueller mounting hardware seemed the best half of the product as it is so adjustable, so I just
    made my own coroplastic fairing to be mounted on the Mueller Hardware from some sign board sized
    pieces. Coroplastic (forgive the trademark violation Tom) is great stuff as it is stiff and strong
    enough to act as it own external frame.

    I am waiting for cold weather before I say for sure how well I did.

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

    Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone care to take a stab at what they think the bent scene is like today? How has it changed
    > recently?
    >
    > I'm also wondering if people are as coo-coo for coroplast as they were a few years back.
    >
    > I think it's great stuff, but offhand (I'm a bit out of the loop) it seems like not as much is
    > being done.

  9. watsonglenn

    watsonglenn New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    I think the Internet and sites like E-bay will have a great effect on recumbent sales. I bought my Trek recumbent through E-bay and so do a lot of people.

  10. Moosebear

    Moosebear New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    I think that this is very true. I've been curious about recumbents for over a decade, but it's only in recent years that I've been able to learn about them, thanks to the internet. I don't think that I would have bought one without being able to research it first thanks to the net.

  11. Mike Rice

    Mike Rice Guest

    On 22 Oct 2003 23:14:38 +0950, watsonglenn <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I think the Internet and sites like E-bay will have a great effect on recumbent sales. I bought my
    >Trek recumbent through E-bay and so do a lot of people.

    It was the EZ Sport on Ebay that got me thinking I could *maybe* afford to get a bent. After test
    riding several models I decided that I would go for a Tour Easy, which I wound up buying from a
    dealer I found on-line (my 'local' supplier is 60 miles away & the distant dealer saved me $400
    after paying shipping...).

    Mike Rice

  12. Harv

    Harv Guest

  13. Hwadler

    Hwadler Guest

    What about some pictures?

    Herman

    Gary Mc wrote:
    > Jeff,
    >
    > I recently bought a Mueller Windwrap fairing for my trike. Great device that meets lots of
    > criteria: aerodynamics, weatherproofing, adjustability, good looks etc. But, it did not cover my
    > feet well enough for the winter.
    >
    > The Mueller mounting hardware seemed the best half of the product as it is so adjustable, so I
    > just made my own coroplastic fairing to be mounted on the Mueller Hardware from some sign board
    > sized pieces. Coroplastic (forgive the trademark violation Tom) is great stuff as it is stiff and
    > strong enough to act as it own external frame.
    >
    > I am waiting for cold weather before I say for sure how well I did.
    >
    > Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City
    >
    > Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Anyone care to take a stab at what they think the bent scene is like today? How has it changed
    >>recently?
    >>
    >>I'm also wondering if people are as coo-coo for coroplast as they were a few years back.
    >>
    >>I think it's great stuff, but offhand (I'm a bit out of the loop) it seems like not as much is
    >>being done.

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Sticker Jim wrote:
    > ... I think there is also a pretty strong home builder group in Toronto as well, with one
    > individual selling his custom bents out of a bicycle shop there - Urbane Cyclist, I think it's
    > called....

    Carey Chen's Outlander bicycles are what you are thinking of.
    <http://webhome.idirect.com/~outlander/>

    Tom Sherman - Recumbent Pedant Curmudgeon

    "Don't Have a Cow, Man!" - Bart Simpson

  15. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    It's interesting how people will complain about bent prices then pay $500 for a set of upright
    wheels that hardly make a difference to their ride. Or they'll pay thousandsUS$ for an upright
    that's hardly different from any other. Without blinking an eye. Bents actually cost less than many
    deluxe uprights and deliver far more in the way of performance experience. Sure, their parts/tubes
    may not be as fancy, but these things actually affect the ride far less than things like position,
    which bents offer HUGE variety in. I guess benting just appeals to a different demographic than
    uprighting. Maybe it's something like XC skiing: in downhill skiing people gladly pay jillions,
    getting new stuff every year, all of it very similar. XC hardly touches on this market style. It's a
    very flat market: yet in XC the right wax often makes a HUGE difference: but people complain about
    wax price. In alpine wax hardly matters yet I suspect that people pay freely to have shops apply it.
    In XC far more people do their own base-prep. It's weird how markets work.

    --

    Jeff Potter
    ****
    *Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself
    culture... ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies... ...rare books on ski,
    bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller about smalltown smuggling ... more radical novels
    coming up! ...original downloadable music ... and articles galore! plus national "Off the Beaten
    Path" travel forums! HOLY SMOKES!

  16. "Jeff Potter" skrev...
    > It's interesting how people will complain about bent prices then pay $500 for a set of upright
    > wheels that hardly make a difference to their ride. Or they'll pay thousandsUS$ for an upright
    > that's hardly different from any other. Without blinking an eye. Bents actually cost less than
    > many deluxe uprights and deliver far more in the way of performance experience.

    I was a spectator at a 30 klick timetrial this summer. Was quite fun really cause noone even blinked
    when you mentioned the price of the bike. I guess we had some of the cheapest ones there.

    A tailfaired old Baron was still faster than the y-frame carbon bike the fastest upright rider rode
    though. Very nice event. They had a separate class for recumbents.

    Mikael