The best bike is one with two wheels

ChuckTowne

Dec 1, 2013
Cyclist are always asking what type of road bikes to buy and which ones are the best. Comparing two bikes together and such. Now I know that the rider is the biggest factor on a bike and it doesn't matter how much money you spend, you will still suck on a 10k bike if you don't train. But I was trying to find some information about professional cyclist and their favortie bikes. Over a cyclists career he/she will probably ride for multiple teams. An whoever that team is sponsored by ( Specialized, cervelo, trek, etc) that is the type of bike that they ride. I just want to find some info about professionals talking about how they hated riding for a certain team because they hated the sponsored bike. An their favorite bike. Thanks.

Tom Boonen did not like his Specialized bikes (despite him winning Paris-ROUBAIX). He claimed the geometry caused him back pain and Spesh redesigned the frame geometry to fit him.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/2009/probikes/?id=tom_boonen_specialized_roubaix_sl2_09

I would not call it "hate" for the brand though. Just the geometry.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/2009/probikes/?id=tom_boonen_specialized_roubaix_sl2_09
"Total weight for the complete bike is 18.3lb – a merely average figure for a typical road racer but a good indicator of the extra strength included therein that will be needed to carry Boonen to the finish."

Geewiz, the rocket scientists added extra weight to handle the ROUBAIX cobbles and Tomeke's godlike power output.

18lbs with Super Record and 32 spoke wheels... I'm guessing the frame weighs in at about 1500 grams with a 500+ gram fork. Something tells me that the warranty will not be getting called upon.

Last time I went to the LBS where I got the Allez they had an S-Works Roubaix on the hook setting it up... It was a sight!
big-smile.png

Black - Yellow frame... Looked eeevil...
big-smile.png

It was funny, they where working on a 9000 euro bike and I went there for a 5 euro spoke adjustment...
big-smile.png

Quote by Dan:
"Something tells me that the warranty will not be getting called upon."

Unless he lends it to George? I wonder what Hincapie thinks of Bontrager aluminum steerers...

There were, back in the day, several professional riders that rode Masi frames painted and decaled to match whatever factory sponsored bike they were on. Eddy comes to mind. A couple of Peugeot and Bianchi riders also rode Masi frames. Again, I would not call it hate for a specific brand as opposed to a preference for another.

Now, no one,...well, very few...even know 'who' manufactured their bike and exactly where it was built. There is the somewhat famous picture of the hundreds of factory workers lined up in formation in front of their Chinese factory (was it in Zeodong? Spelling?) while being addressed by the company president.

He was congratulating his workers for their success...the top three finishers in the 2008 Tour Du France were on three different brands of bikes...all three were built in that factory.

Found it...here's the pictures:

http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/

Years ago, I used to import and sell the Gardin line of bikes from Canada. I rode one that was actually made in Italy by Battaglin.

Big George was probably not thrilled. That look he gives the camera on the side of the cobbles is a combination of pain, anger, anguish, and the good nature I'll always remember him for. But maybe those engineers learned a lesson, how does the old saying go? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again.

Hey I think I see that pretty gal with the glasses from Yoeleo in the crowd.

Track drop outs with water bottle mount and brake cable routing??? Ok...I got fooled again.

So basically it doesn't matter what bike is considered a "better" bike. As long as you have the same rider with the same output of performance the results will be about the same?

Originally Posted by ChuckTowne

So basically it doesn't matter what bike is considered a "better" bike. As long as you have the same rider with the same output of performance the results will be about the same?

What part of the equation is the bike on race day?

At 2:30 Tony Martin, possibly the worlds fastest man on a bike over distance, answers your question. But you are correct in assuming it is mostly in the legs.

0.jpg

Originally Posted by danfoz

What part of the equation is the bike on race day?

At 2:30 Tony Martin, possibly the worlds fastest man on a bike over distance, answers your question. But you are correct in assuming it is mostly in the legs.
wink.png