The best cycling advice you have ever received

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet

    Tags:

  2. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet

    Mmm, to true. Talking from recent experience I take it?

    Thick yellow or white road marking paint ain't too clever either.

    --
    Mark

    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    2. Buy a bike with mudguards.

  4. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet

    Good advice for motorbikes too. Don't see them here, in Sydney they often cover holes in the road
    with peices of steel about the width of the lane and 4 feet long. Completely smooth. Bloody stupid
    but they continue to do it.

  5. Tim Dunne

    Tim Dunne Guest

    "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet

    Beware of kamikaze wildlife, particularly pheasants.

    Tim
    --
    Sent from Birmingham, UK... Check out www.nervouscyclist.org 'I find sometimes it’s easy to be
    myself, but sometimes I find it’s better to be somebody else.' - Dave Matthews 'So Much To Say' My

  6. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > 2. Buy a bike with mudguards.

    3. "Be careful, the road's icy round the corner." Offered by a group of ramblers, and boy, were they
    right! It was difficult enough to stand up, gawd knows at what point we'd have finished sliding
    downhill sans bicyclette had we not dismounted.

    Pete

  7. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:32:19 +0000 (UTC), Johnny Klunk <[email protected]:> wrote:
    > "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet
    >
    > Good advice for motorbikes too. Don't see them here, in Sydney they often cover holes in the road
    > with peices of steel about the width of the lane and 4 feet long. Completely smooth. Bloody
    > stupid but they continue to do it.

    They're called roadplates, and they do use them in teh UK, but you need to have a very good reason
    to put one down in a generally trafficked bit of road. You're most likely to come across one if they
    are digging a trench along your road and it needs to stay open across your driveway for a while -
    then you'll get a roadplate across teh trench so you can get in & out.

    Not so long ago they dug a trench across my road, right in front of the house, which meant that when
    I approached to turn onto my drive I went across teh trench about 2 or 3 m before turning right into
    teh drive. They covered the trench with two road plates, one in each lane, with a handy two-inch gap
    between them just my side of teh white line. Luckily, I spotted it and a swerved violently enough
    that the front wheel skittered across teh gap and didn't drop straight down it. When they weren't
    putting roadplates down, the same outfit left their traffic lights at red in all directions for the
    evening rush-hour one time, and on another didn't leave enough petrol in teh generator, so teh
    lights went out in time for the morning rush-hour. When they finally re-surfaced it, they did so
    with a sodding great vibrating road-roller at just before 7:00 am on a Sunday morning.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  8. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > Not so long ago they dug a trench across my road, right in front of the house, which meant that
    > when I approached to turn onto my drive I went across teh trench about 2 or 3 m before turning
    > right into teh drive. They covered the trench with two road plates, one in each lane, with a handy
    > two-inch gap between them just my side of teh white line. Luckily, I spotted it and a swerved
    > violently enough that the front wheel skittered across teh gap and didn't drop straight down it.
    > When they weren't putting roadplates down, the same outfit left their traffic lights at red in all
    > directions for the evening rush-hour one time, and on another didn't leave enough petrol in teh
    > generator, so teh lights went out in time for the morning rush-hour. When they finally re-surfaced
    > it, they did so with a sodding great vibrating road-roller at just before 7:00 am on a Sunday
    > morning.

    Superb. I've no first hand experience with conducting road works and setting up traffic lights.
    However a few years with the things I do have experience with, a small amount of experience and
    common sense goes a long way. I frequently wonder who's setting these things up and why they haven't
    learned...

  9. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Peter B wrote:
    > "Marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>2. Buy a bike with mudguards.
    >

    > 3. "Be careful, the road's icy round the corner." Offered by a group of ramblers, and boy, were
    > they right! It was difficult enough to stand up, gawd knows at what point we'd have finished
    > sliding downhill sans bicyclette had we not dismounted.

    4. Don't hang your jacket over the handlebars.....

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  10. John B

    John B Guest

    Simonb wrote:

    > 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet

    1. - That the oval rear reflector part of the old Ever Ready lamps can make a good wine glass.

    (discovered when stuck on a cold late-November overnight in Normandy when only accommodation was a
    concrete-floored bus shelter and only sustainance a tin of cold beans and a bottle of vino between
    the two of us).

    John B

  11. On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:32:19 +0000 (UTC), "Johnny Klunk"
    <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> said:

    >> 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet

    > Good advice for motorbikes too. Don't see them here, in Sydney they often cover holes in the road
    > with peices of steel about the width of the lane and 4 feet long. Completely smooth. Bloody stupid
    > but they continue to do it.

    I'm lucky enough to work in an old mill that has been converted into offices, restaurant, an art
    gallery, etc.

    Some $%^£* artist has had the bright idea of plonking a replica weighbridge down in the entrance
    driveway. Cast iron, and smooth as a baby's bum, with rims to the sections to hold water, some
    stupid lettering cast into it to catch on the sidewalls of the tyre and push you sideways, and gaps
    between the sections to trap narrow tyres. *Delightful* in the wet. Perhaps I can be the first
    person to be injured on a bicyle by a "work of art".

    Ooh look - here's some photo of it: http://www.deanclough.com/arts/Resources/weiner.jpeg (from
    http://www.deanclough.com/arts/collection.html)

    http://www.hdowns.co.uk/lw3.jpg (from http://www.hdowns.co.uk/hdweb_lw_art_page.htm)

    --
    Alan J. Wylie http://www.glaramara.freeserve.co.uk/ "Perfection [in design] is achieved not when
    there is nothing left to add, but rather when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de

  12. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet
    > >

    > Mmm, to true. Talking from recent experience I take it?
    >
    > Thick yellow or white road marking paint ain't too clever either.

    Ditto those stupid road studs on pedestrian crossings. Especially on corners.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

    > --
    > Mark
    >
    > "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

  13. Andy B

    Andy B Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet
    > >

    > Mmm, to true. Talking from recent experience I take it?
    >
    > Thick yellow or white road marking paint ain't too clever either.

    oh too true - that's my local pet hate too. woah-ha-ah-ha-hah-ha-aha-hah-aha-aa

  14. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > 1. - That the oval rear reflector part of the old Ever Ready lamps can make a good wine glass.
    >
    > (discovered when stuck on a cold late-November overnight in Normandy when only accommodation was a
    > concrete-floored bus shelter and only sustainance a tin of cold beans and a bottle of vino between
    > the two of us).

    How refined. Slugging it from the bottle like proper folk too good for you?

    :)

  15. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    "That landing looks a little too loose"

    Advice not heeded when I was 16 as I jumped of an 8ft cliff drop. The surface being very loose and
    at a slant. I continued to descend as I landed, only to be stopped by one quarry lake.

    My advice (mainly for off roaders) is to learn how to scuba dive for recovery of bikes and
    possesions from quarry lakes.

    Gadget

  16. Simonb wrote:

    > 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet

    Avoid manholes without manhole covers -- wet or dry

    Never ride through a puddle you can't see the bottom of.

    Don't ride down steps on a fully loaded touring bike if you value your rims. (Corollary: Council,
    don't put steps on bike paths)

    Adrian

    Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
    Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44

  17. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > Beware of kamikaze wildlife, particularly pheasants.

    And foxes dragging roadkill.

    Happened to me.

    Mark

  18. James Shugg

    James Shugg Guest

    [email protected] (Marc) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > 2. Buy a bike with mudguards.

    2a. Buy a bike.

    Three years ago, a friend said I was mad commuting to work on the tube, when I could do it in
    less time on a bike. I took the plunge, and it's totally changed, for the better, the way I live
    in London.

    Oh, and I got mudguards a week later.

  19. John B

    John B Guest

    Tony W wrote:

    > "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > 1. - That the oval rear reflector part of the old Ever Ready lamps can make a good wine glass.
    > >
    > > (discovered when stuck on a cold late-November overnight in Normandy when only accommodation was
    > > a concrete-floored bus shelter and only sustainance a tin of cold beans and a bottle of vino
    > > between the two of us).
    >
    > How refined. Slugging it from the bottle like proper folk too good for you?

    > :)

    One has to maintain one's high standards when the guest of such a salubrious establishment.

    John B

  20. "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet

    2,3,4 or whatever we're up to..

    Avoid braking hard in the middle of bus lanes covered in a diesel/rain water
    mix...

    Rich