The best cycling advice you have ever received

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > 2,3,4 or whatever we're up to..
    >
    > Avoid braking hard in the middle of bus lanes covered in a diesel/rain
    water
    > mix...

    Especially if there is a bus close behind !!

  2. Tony Hogarty

    Tony Hogarty Guest

    Mark wrote:

    >> Beware of kamikaze wildlife, particularly pheasants.
    >
    > And foxes dragging roadkill.
    >
    > Happened to me.
    >
    > Mark

    Or the buzzard that dropped a not quite dead Mallard chick on me, landed on my head and frightened
    the s*it out of me I can tell you.
    --
    Regards

    Tony Hogarty (take out garbage to reply)

  3. 42 - do not ride down a slipway coated with soggy aquatic weeds if you value your knees

    666 - do not attempt a j-turn down a concrete ramp on a recumbent trike

    12.5 - do not allow industrial strength bubble wrap to get intimate with your chain

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  4. Terry

    Terry Guest

    news:[email protected]s.de...
    > 42 - do not ride down a slipway coated with soggy aquatic weeds if you
    value
    > your knees
    >
    > 666 - do not attempt a j-turn down a concrete ramp on a recumbent trike
    >
    > 12.5 - do not allow industrial strength bubble wrap to get intimate with your chain
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

    Don't let go of the handlebars whilst attempting that jump just coz those guys can do it.

    --
    ---
    Don't be shy, click on the link below. http://www.justgiving.com/letour

    L'Etape du Tour 2003, rider number 3295, I must be mad!
    http://www.letapedutour.com/2003/us/index.htm

  5. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "Jim Price" <[email protected].com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Peter B wrote:
    > > "Marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > >>2. Buy a bike with mudguards.
    > >

    > > 3. "Be careful, the road's icy round the corner." Offered by a group of ramblers, and boy, were
    > > they right! It was difficult enough to stand up, gawd knows at what point we'd have finished
    > > sliding downhill sans
    bicyclette
    > > had we not dismounted.
    >
    > 4. Don't hang your jacket over the handlebars.....

    4.1 Or an umbrella ... ouch

  6. On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:39:34 +0000 (UTC), "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Don't let go of the handlebars whilst attempting that jump just coz those guys can do it.

    And never, ever bunny-hop a Brompton.
    --
    DG

    Bah!

  7. "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet

    Carrying a spare tube and pump will ensure that you never need to use them. Punctures only happen
    when you leave your spares at home.

    The biker at the gates of dawn

  8. Bloke on a bike wrote:

    > Punctures only happen when you leave your spares at home.

    Would that this were true. Alas, the P+nct+r+e Fairy is known to strike at other times too.

    o after dark o in the rain o when you're already late coz you couldn't find your keys / socks / head
    o when you have a magnum tailwind and just *know* you're on for a record-breaking run home. o when
    Lance Armstrong has just attacked o when it's 35 Deg. C. in the shade, and there isn't any (St.
    Martin-sur-Ardeche, 1985)

    And so on.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  9. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Disgruntled Goat wrote:

    > And never, ever bunny-hop a Brompton.

    And even if you just jump the front wheel, ditches with a diameter about the same as the front wheel
    are probably better off walked around carrying the bike.

    Old single track railway lines of the overgrown variety can get a bit itchy in prime nettle and
    bramble season on any bike, but being on an unfaired recumbent does not help matters...

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  10. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > Old single track railway lines of the overgrown variety can get a bit itchy in prime nettle and
    > bramble season on any bike, but being on an unfaired recumbent does not help matters...

    I've got into the habit of riding one handed, with my left hand crossed across my chest. Meanwhile,
    my horn and left brake lever collect vegetation.

    I went out for a ride the weekend before last with a friend who had just bought a Speed Machine. He
    found the vegetation at face level unexpected and somewhat disconcerting. I'd forgotten to mention
    it to him before the ride ...

    Thomas Paine

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:32:51 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Would that this were true. Alas, the P+nct+r+e Fairy is known to strike at other times too.

    >o when Lance Armstrong has just attacked

    Sorry, I can't stop laughing over this one. Major bummer!

    --
    Dave...

  12. Dave Kahn wrote:

    >> Would that this were true. Alas, the P+nct+r+e Fairy is known to strike at other times too.
    >
    >> o when Lance Armstrong has just attacked
    >
    > Sorry, I can't stop laughing over this one. Major bummer!

    A couple of Tours ago, somewhere in the mountains. *Filthy* weather - absolutely chucking down.
    Armstrong charges off up a mountain, Fat Boy Ullrich stamps on pedals to follow, enter the P+nct+r+
    Fairy, stage left.
    Pssssst! Not even a tree under which to shelter while waiting for the team car to show up. The look
    on Fat Boy's face made it abundantly clear that, at that precise moment, he had no idea whatsoever
    why he was doing this for a living.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  13. "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > 2,3,4 or whatever we're up to..
    > >
    > > Avoid braking hard in the middle of bus lanes covered in a diesel/rain
    > water
    > > mix...
    >

    > Especially if there is a bus close behind !!

    True! And the corollary to this is, don't think that black patches in bus lanes is just the paint
    wearing off!

    Rich

  14. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:12:41 +0100, Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 666 - do not attempt a j-turn down a concrete ramp on a recumbent trike

    Why not? Do you mean a skidding-J-turn (which I would probably avoid) or a rolling sort-of J-turn?
    Or is a J-turn not what I think it is?

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  15. Ian Smith wrote:

    > Why not? Do you mean a skidding-J-turn (which I would probably avoid) or a rolling sort-of J-turn?
    > Or is a J-turn not what I think it is?

    My understanding is it's like a handbrake turn but travelling backwards. Do this on a tadpole trike
    and you run a very real risk of fetching up on your back wearing the trike for a hat :-(

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  16. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    The best cycling advice I was ever given was "try a recumbent." I am happy to pass this on to all
    and sundry as a Service to Cycling :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  17. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > The best cycling advice I was ever given was "try a recumbent." I am happy to pass this on to all
    > and sundry as a Service to Cycling :)

    As advice goes, pretty damn good, but even better is "try several recumbents"...

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  18. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:02:29 +0100, Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Ian Smith wrote:
    >
    > > Why not? Do you mean a skidding-J-turn (which I would probably avoid) or a rolling sort-of
    > > J-turn? Or is a J-turn not what I think it is?
    >
    > My understanding is it's like a handbrake turn but travelling backwards. Do this on a tadpole
    > trike and you run a very real risk of fetching up on your back wearing the trike for a hat :-(

    That's my understanding, and you can do it rolling backwards down a slope quite happily. Skidding
    would take some practice I think.

    Anyway, when I first tried a handbrake turn on teh trice I fetched up on my back with the trike on
    top of me. After reassembling the headrest it was fine, and the bruising healed in due course...

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  19. On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 18:17:40 +0100, Simonb <> wrote:
    > 1 - Avoid manhole covers in the wet

    - Centre of lane when neccessary, not gutter.

    - Panniers, not backpack.

    - Dual redundancy for lights.

    --
    Andrew Chadwick <We're all in this together

  20. On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 07:30:06 +0100, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Beware of kamikaze wildlife, particularly pheasants.
    >
    > And foxes dragging roadkill.
    >
    > Happened to me.

    How so? Not painful for you, I hope.

    "Remember: foxes are more interested in roadkill than traffic, and may run into the road
    unexpectedly."

    --
    Andrew Chadwick <We're all in this together