The best cycling tips in the world...ever!

Originally posted by tomdavis80
I'm not entirely sure that it's bad to have cold water. I'm in Arizona and having cold water would be a premium in the summers considering that the water is used to keep the body cool and it lowers the body temperature. Perhaps in 80 degree heat, it'd be fine, but in 100 degree heat, not having cold water and in fact having it hot is much much worse because the body has to work that much harder to cool it down and it sweats out water at a faster rate due to thermodynamic laws.

Thomas Davis

Yeah, I'm sure I would rather drink cold water than body temp water. After a half hour mid summer ride you can almost chuck in a tea bag and make a cup as you ride! Cold water feels a lot better as it goes down and has the advantage of actually cooling you down. Warm water is not as satisfying.
Also at the tour down under in Adelaide it is daily 45 Centigrade and the pros are always whinging at their bosses for cold bottles.

Originally posted by Guest
Always wear a T-shirt under your cycling jersey. This will provide some protection to shoulders etc. in the case of a fall. Also helps absorb sweat which will feel better than a soaked jersey. :eek:

This is the dumbest idea i have ever heard. The entire point of the jersey is that it is designed to be light and allow fluid air movement through and around your body. The addition of a T-shirt means that once you start sweating the t-shirt gets wet and becomes heavy (like all cotton things) Then it feels like you are trying carry an extra 3 pounds of water on your back. The jersey is made so that it will not absorb as much sweat and become heavy and it keeps you cooler to begin with because it is a lighter material. The use of a Tshirt will only make you more hot. My suggestion is to wear your jersey and don't fall. Its not that difficult. i haven't fully fallen off my bike in over 3 years and i ride almost 50 miles a day.

Originally posted by lanky
My suggestion is to wear your jersey and don't fall. Its not that difficult. i haven't fully fallen off my bike in over 3 years and i ride almost 50 miles a day.
Always wear a T shirt/vest when riding on the track (crashes are more frequent, often at speed and there is a lot of friction between wood and skin!).

Originally posted by 2LAP
Always wear a T shirt/vest when riding on the track (crashes are more frequent, often at speed and there is a lot of friction between wood and skin!).

ok. I will admit that i do not know anything about track racing because i have never done it. but for road riding, wearing a t shirt under a jersey is not a very good idea.

Buy yourself an SRAM chain with a powerlink, a block of paraffin wax, and a tube of powdered graphite.

Melt the wax under low heat (in an OLD saucepan) put a few squirts of the graphite... swirl it around. Then coil your new chain and submerge in the 'bath' for 20 mins or so. Don't let it smoke - keep it just hot enough to stay liquid.

Pull the chain out with a pair of pliers, and - wearing gloves - hang it to drip dry.

Remove your old chain - throw it out. Clean your cogset/derailleurs/chainrings.

Install the new wax-lubed chain. Repeat the second paragraph every 300 miles. Never have a dirty drivetrain again!

Originally posted by ewep
Eat breakfast at least 2 hours before a race.

That depends on the person. If I would eat 2 hours before, I would need to eat again in an hour or so. I know I'm in the minority, but I need to eat just before a race or just before any activity that I do. I probably burn more calories sleeping than most people do when they are awake with normal activity. If I don't eat at least 4000 calories a day, I can't gain any weight. I'm 55 and in great shape, and probably have one of the fastest metabolisms on record. :) I'm very grateful and thankful for being blessed in this way.

A few tips for enduro racing/rides,
spin up the hills it will reduce fatigue and lessen the risk of injury if the climb is very long then get off and walk for 50m it will loosen you legs and rest you cycling specific muscles.

Eat little and often, large amounts of food are difficult to digest when riding, small portions will keep you topped up.

Drink often, every 5 mins is good

Stay motivated, feel tired? humm a tune, do anything to keep a good frame of mind, dont dwell on how you legs/lungs/hands/butt hurt.

Stretch after a ride, eat a snack within 20 mins of finnishing, both will help you recover quicker.

Good luck

Cool liquids are absorbed the most quickly. Absorption is more important than the energy needed to warm the fluids. You'll produce plenty of heat. Not hot, not cold, just cool.

i suggest the use of a small camel back for any training ride. It can contain more water than any cage water bottle system and the insulation in the pack will keep it cool. The pack can also provide space for extra tubes, tools, hand pump, 1st aid and any other miscalaneous cargo.

Originally posted by Guest
When on a long slow climb ...... never! ...... never look up! ;)

true, and also smile!

i thought this was kooky till i tried it, but it really does help you go up hills!

That wearing a t-shirt thing is a dodgy subject. Living in Ireland its cold for most of the year and id always wear a good quality netted vest thing. i thnk they're called bunjees or something. They dont hold the moisture and they keep you warm even if its raining. After wearing one once you wont want to wear a t-shirt racing again.

never look up on a long climb is a very good one.
If you want to psyche out your opponents, getting twords the top of the climb start talking to them about stupid stuff. you could be really suffering and so are they but ust pretend you arent. ask them what they thought of the indirect taxation placed on wheely bins or something!

keep your head down and **** up and go like f*"k!

[1] When riding 'through and off': when you are going through to take your turn at the front, do so gradually. Do not surge forward. After your turn and pulling off, ease up slightly to allow the next rider to get to the front.

[2] In a race: if riding in the middle or back of the bunch, look out for the heads of the front riders bobbing - this means they are getting out of the saddle to either chase an attack or cope with a climb. Anticipate! Change gear and get ready to increase your pace.

[3] In a race: if you are surrounded by riders and you hit a steep climb, change down into an easier gear and start spinning to avoid grinding to a halt should you be held up by those in front of you.

Whether recreational or racing rider, when training use a heart rate monitor and a cyclocomputer (or a combined). Find a comfortable mix of RPMs and BPMs, and use this formulation to build your aerobic base. When not doing hills or sprints, I like to ride at approximately 92 RPMs, and I try to target the 145-150 BPM zone for heart rate. I find that this is challenging, yet still allows for endurance over extended distances. Find your anaerobic threshold, then listen to your body and find what's comfortable for you.

This

Also - keep a riding journal!!!!!

Dont anger the cycling gods by doing any of the following:
- spit behind you in a race.
- swerve suddenly in a group
- ride on the wrong side of the cycle path
- ride with no hands on a road you dont know
- get that "one more day" out of your tyre
- crunch your gears shifting
- wear one of those maintenance jackets when riding. They are for fixing holes in the road!

Make the cycling gods happy by:
- smiling or saying hello to each cyclist you pass.
- clean your rims after a ride.
- in the wet, bring the brakes to contact with the rim slightly before really braking to get the water of the braking surface.
- leading out your friend in a race once in a while
- riding each and every day and loving it!

Early in the season on solo rides it's ok to stop every 20 miles or so in order to get off the bike and do a lot of stretches on the ground - your body will protest a lot less, and you'll be a lot happier. Later you can do your stretches while pedalling, at red lights, and when you stop to have a quick bite. Make your stops quick ones, or your legs will feel way too heavy when you get back on the bike. - johnsmith

Don't forget eating utensils when you go to a stage race or omnium! That way you can feast on PB&J and cereal in your hotel room to save cash and get your carb on.

Leif