The best cycling tips in the world...ever!

100% cotton t-shirts are the only thing to wear - when you start to sweat it just gets damp - all these synthetic ones feel horrible and itchy - will ruin you whole ride

when racing think about efficiency - this is something people rarely mention but think about being fluid, not wasting energy - one way to do this is actively try and keep your HR down - you will end up being as efficient as possible

> any one know a good position when riding into the wind

I have previously done some calc's (some attached below) looking at the effect of wind and gradient on average speed on a closed circuit race. I have been meaning to also do the calcs to see what sort of effort profile improves average speed in the face of wind & gradient variation.

My intuitive feeling is that you should increase effort above average into the wind and uphill, then recover when the wind and gradient are helping you.

This of course assumes that you can choose your own pace and are not influenced by peloton tactics.

Some old sample results of mine :

The wind results assume that you apply the same effort under all wind conditions to overcome only v² air resistance. Vo is the speed with this effort with no wind or gradient. W is the wind speed :
Vo 36.0 km/h
W 22.0 km/h Beaufort Number 3.3 Gentle Breeze

This first table shows the road speed when travelling on a single straight line course (fixed wind direction)
This will be valid for a race from point A to B in a straight line only
V into wind 14.0 km/h
V with wind 58.0 km/h (In practice this will be less due to tyre and other v^1 friction)
V across wind 32.8 km/h
V+45 against wind 28.0 km/h
V -45 with wind 42.0 km/h

Now if you do a there and back race on a straight road, these are the average speeds
V ave fore/aft 22.6 km/h
V abeam 32.8 km/h

Now consider a closed, more or less square circuit, these are the speeds for aligned with the wind, 45 degrees off the wind, and a circular course :
V-circuit 26.7 km/h
V+-45 33.6 km/h
V-Circle 29.8 km/h

Now lets look at gradients

My assumptions were
5 deg downhill 60.2 km/h
uphill 18.0 km/h

10 deg downhill 85.0 km/h
uphill 8.5 km/h

The first speed below is the effective speed over successive downhill and uphill, while the
second is the arithmetic average of the two - notice how effective speed drops fast with gradient while average speed increases. Of course with a downhill followed by an uphill there is a certain amount of carry due to inertia, which is not present with the down after the up.

Average UP/DOWN 5 deg (UP+DOWN)/2
27.7 39.1 km/h

Average UP/DOWN 10 deg
15.5 46.8 km/h

> My intuitive feeling is that you should increase effort above average into the
> wind and uphill, then recover when the wind and gradient are helping you.

I have had a go at some predictions of cycle effort adjustment in the face of oncoming wind to maximise average speed. I don't necessarily believe them at the moment as they are not verified, but for for a first stab - here they are.

I will not be able to revisit these for about three weeks, maybe some other people can respond with their thoughts in the interim.

First I had to tune up an aero and tyre friction model, just quickly using five data conditions I have (unfortunately at a mix of altitudes and on different bikes). There are other unknowns in this model, since my estimates of relative effort for powered conditions are the best guesses I can make. However the qualitative rather than quantitative results are what I want to see.

The friction model has tyre friction proportional to weight-on-wheels normal to road, and the aerodynamic models have v¹ and v² terms.

I tuned the three friction coefficients using a steepest descent algorithm searching for a least squares solution, final model RMS force error is about 5% of peak friction and gravitational forces.

The friction model characteristics are

v¹ and tyre friction crossover at 36 km/h
v² and tyre friction crossover at 24 km/h
v² and v¹ friction crossover at 18 km/h

I have run two scenarios thus far - will want to verify these before I do more runs and predict the optimum effort profile (also for gradients).

The first case (well actually I ran it second as a sanity check) has no wind. For given physical effort conditions the average road speed on a there and back course is
38.6 km/h .

The "there" was into a 0km/h wind, with gearing 16/52, and the "back" was with a 0km/h wind with gearing 13/52, so not actually realistic, but it means the next case only has wind variation.

Then I considered an increase in propulsive force of 20% "into" the 0km/h wind. I setup a conservation condition that (effort x time) must be preserved, using this and an interating condition on the interaction between speed and effort, I calculate what the effort level on the "with" wind direction should be. [I did consider an energy conservation condition, but suspect that time integral of exerted force is more indicative of fatigue than energy expended].

This effort profile my model predicted an increase of average speed to
42.9 km/h .

This does not make intuitive sense at the moment, I would expect the average speed to go down if the effort profile in still air deviates from flat, but all the cross-checks I looked at quickly are correct.

The second case is with a 16 km/h wind, first a leg into the wind, then the return. With a flat profile and the same effort as without wind, the average speed predicted was
36.1 km/h ,

while with a 20% effort increase into the wind the predicted average speed is
39.9 km/h .

Once again, my intuition tells me that the speed should drop more than around 3 km/h, but I will have to go through the individual calcs to see whether I believe these results.

Finally, the following are the headwind /tailwind speeds that make up the 39.9km/h average speed with effort profiling :

34.4 & 47.4 km/h .

Originally posted by Guest
any one know a good position when riding into the wind now that winter is upon us in south africa the wind will be a big problem any ideas other than the obvious make your surface area smaller. and another question when replacing your cleats is it vital that you line them up like your old ones were cos i tried but ever since i replaced mine i have struggled with illitibial band problems. :-/

Wind is mental. Don't fight it. Its helping make you stronger.

Always wear a T-shirt under your cycling jersey. This will provide some protection to shoulders etc. in the case of a fall. Also helps absorb sweat which will feel better than a soaked jersey. :eek:

t-shirt? are you kidding? i hope you dont mean a cotten one. that would not be comfortable, all wet and soggy.
most cycling jerseys are designed to wick sweat away from your body.
a good idea is to wear a cycling undershirt(defeet makes a nice one, wicks sweat away to keep you dry) so in case you crash.

Try to keep your drinks at body temperature (37c). It takes a lot of energy out of your body to heat it up or cool it down if it's not around that level. Use the enerygy to push the pedals a bit harder instead. _;D

actually, physiological studies have shown cooler liquids are absorbed through the stomach wall significantly faster than fluids at body temp, so if fast hydration is in order, go with chilled drinks. the energy taken to raise said cold fluids to body temp once imbibed is more than offset by the increased body temp generated by actively contracting muscles.

alot ov this stuff is not worf readin cos its
a) rubish
b) contradictory &
c) repetative

don't look up wen goin up a hil, ..sheesh! how do u know wen to attack if yuv no idea where the top is? Duhhhh..why has everybody started riding past me so fast, we're going up a hill ??

don't put your gloves on the ground wen u fix a puncture in the cold. stick em up yur jersey. Best tip on here andits mine. and also keep sum ov em latex gloves wiv yur spare tubes to keep yur ands cleen! my bike is filthy in winter.

Originally posted by Bugno
alot ov this stuff is not worf readin cos its
a) rubish
b) contradictory &
c) repetative

don't look up wen goin up a hil, ..sheesh! how do u know wen to attack if yuv no idea where the top is? Duhhhh..why has everybody started riding past me so fast, we're going up a hill ??

don't put your gloves on the ground wen u fix a puncture in the cold. stick em up yur jersey. Best tip on here andits mine. and also keep sum ov em latex gloves wiv yur spare tubes to keep yur ands cleen! my bike is filthy in winter.

Hey learn to type / spell or keep a dictionary at your side like the rest of us dyslexics .

Originally posted by el Inglés
Hey learn to type / spell or keep a dictionary at your side like the rest of us dyslexics .

I'm just emphasising the stupidity of some of these comments.....
:D

Like a jet plane........
Clearly way over some peoples heads.

On easy days pay specific attention to your technique as its easier to concentrate on it when more relaxed allowing for more natural adoption to the style when training hard.

T-Shirts
"Helly Hanson" make sports t-shirts that take sweat away from the body to keep you cool, almost like a cycling jersey. Wearing this not only multiplies the amount of sweat removed from your body, it also gives you that added protection if you hit the road (literally).

Water
According to "Cycling Weekly" (Dec 20 - 27 2003, P79) a 2% drop in hydration = 10% Drop in perfomance. Think about it.

Between rides I keep my water bottles full of water in the fridge. It keeps stuff from growing in them. I replace the water before I ride with what ever I'm drinking at the time.

Take vitamins a c and e after a hard training session. Kills off free radicals leaving your cells in better condition

Always wear a T-shirt under your cycling jersey. This will provide some protection to shoulders etc. in the case of a fall. Also helps absorb sweat which will feel better than a soaked jersey. :eek:

A wicking jersey (made from polypropylene for instance) will move sweat away from your skin and keep you dryer. A cotton t-shirt will keep moisture on your skin longer than needed to cool your body. You'll also be less comfortable with a cotton t-shirt; go with a wicking jersey alone in warm weather. For cold weather cycling your base layer should be of wicking material. Keeping a wet t-shirt next to your skin will keep you colder, perhaps dangerously so.

Dont stretch before riding - your muscles will be too cold and you could cause damage. Stretch after the ride to keep muscles long and supple and to maintain a good range of movement.