The best cycling tips in the world...ever!

Originally posted by Michael Ferebee
Also always travel with a small but efficient first aid kit.

Ehhh, not sure about this, it might help but two problems, one, it's extra weight and accessories and a cyclist already has plenty. Secondly, there's not a whole lot a cyclist can do after they've been knocked out and laid out by an accident. S--- happens.

Thomas Davis

Originally posted by jasonc47
Train using "slow" tires... keep the slicks for the race! Like swinging a weighted bat in the on-deck circle! I used to ride a mountain bike (like one would a road bike) prior to my first road purchase. It was amazing the difference!
I agree I train on a mongoose mountain bike during the winter up til May then I pull the ole roadster out for the big rides just to see how much I improved from the previous year.

Originally posted by tomdavis80
Ehhh, not sure about this, it might help but two problems, one, it's extra weight and accessories and a cyclist already has plenty. Secondly, there's not a whole lot a cyclist can do after they've been knocked out and laid out by an accident. S--- happens.

Thomas Davis
Needless to say I'd rather be with than be without

set realistic goals and pick them off one by one, ride at ur pace nobody elses and when it comes to racing, get stuck in and stuff tactics, just make sure u get to the finish b4 ne1 else!

Originally posted by EoinC
4 little tips to help your riding style :-
1) When riding a track bike on the road, don't take on a steeper descent than you can hold back on - ask me how I know!
2) When taking off at the lights trying to get the holeshot on the traffic with a big stand-up effort (again with a fixed-wheel track bike), it is a good idea not to have worn-out cleats. When one foot comes out and the other one stays in, a strange sort of wobble develops which ends up throwing you over the bars in front of rather baffled onlookers - ask me how I know.
3) When you ride rollers for the first time, it may be better to hold onto something until you get your balance right before changing to a high gear to see what it's like when you do a full out effort. This is particularly prudent when you have chosen your mother's bathroom as the site of your inaugural ride - ask me how I know.
4) When you are young (a long time ago) and you offer to ride your mate's bike down a long winding hill, with a big drop-off on the left, a high bank on the right, rough-chip surface and ending in a T-intersection, perform your pre-start checks. Always check to see that the stick you put in place to retain the back-peddling brake's torque arm (after the bolt fell out) is firmly in place. It is a good chance to be reminded of the consequences that may befall you if the stick falls out. They run in this manner : Sinking feeling - Sudden assessment of ongoing acceleration - Sudden assessment of nasty alternatives to left, right and ahead - Survival manoeuvre to push off handlebars in the hope of dropping off the back of the bike - Immediate sense of having provided insufficient input to the manoeuvre when hot-spot tells you that you have landed on the back wheel and are now accelerating towards the seatpost - Strange sense of "wellbeing" (very relative concept) when your feet hit the ground and immediately propel you into a series of forward rolls, parting you from the bicycle (like a spent booster on an Apollo mission) and cushioned by the welcoming rough-chip road - Upon pulling up to a halt, an overall sense of bafflement takes over as you gaze through the haze of the smoke coming off your ruptured jeans to where your mate's bicycle went over the cliff-of-death into the pine trees below, and wait for him to come running down the hill to tell you what he thinks about what you did to his bike. Some friendships just weren't meant to last - ask me how I know.
Follow these tips above and all your cycling experiences will be happy ones.

Sweet baby jesus, that's funny. My girlfriend and I are tearing up. Great stuff. :D

Originally posted by tomdavis80
I'm not entirely sure that it's bad to have cold water. I'm in Arizona and having cold water would be a premium in the summers considering that the water is used to keep the body cool and it lowers the body temperature. Perhaps in 80 degree heat, it'd be fine, but in 100 degree heat, not having cold water and in fact having it hot is much much worse because the body has to work that much harder to cool it down and it sweats out water at a faster rate due to thermodynamic laws.

Thomas Davis

You'r correct there m8. It does take energy to heat up the water that you drink, but it isn't the chemical energy that u use to spin your pedals, its the left over heat energy from repiration. Cold water means u wont have to sweat as much, as it will lower your core temperature and also your blood.
An other good tip is to get your face wet and lean forward. It triggers your 'dive reflex', which means your brain thinks that you are under water. It means you body sends less blood to your stomach etc and doesn't waste oxygen and energy on them.

In the Finish of a race, when is the best time to look around?

trick question, NEVER EVER look around in a sprint, use your EARS not your eyes, listen to the change in pitch of the wheels behind to judge when they are comming.
works for me anyhow.

If you are starting a base then stager the miles eg 4 weeks up, back 3 ( 200, 250, 300, 350, 250, 300, 350, 400, 300 ect)

Allows you to increase miles while keeping the legs fresh enough to add some quality.

Originally posted by Fixey
In the Finish of a race, when is the best time to look around?

trick question, NEVER EVER look around in a sprint, use your EARS not your eyes, listen to the change in pitch of the wheels behind to judge when they are comming.
works for me anyhow.

This would ordinarily be good advice, but it's worthless for deaf cyclists. How would you solve this problem?

Thomas Davis

Damn, you good :D

never thought of that, never raced against a deaf rider, quess a quick glance under the arm may be accepted, under the arm mind you, not around......

damn cant believe I didnt think of that little flaw :D

Maybe all you know this, but:

- Hydrate before you are thirsty, if you feel thirst it's already too late.

- In the race, don't do anything you haven’t tried at training (like power gels with caffeine or those energetic drinks) It can ruin your day.

My .2 cents

Originally posted by cuervo
those energetic drinks) It can ruin your day.

My .2 cents

Ok I did see the 'english is not my primary language" but I was kinda hoping it was a typo.

those 'energetic 'drinks are hard to catch. got to use a net or something.
heee. I am goign to call them that from now on. 'hey where is my energetic drink?'

My new advice :::
just get out and RIDE!!!!!!
Make sure you have some fun days too. Ride with the kiddies if you is a mom or pa' . Or ride thru a neighborhood on your mountain bike, bunny hopping all the potholes and curbs. go see the sites.
Just have fun at least once a week.
HAVE a easy 'play on the bike like a 12 year old' kinda day. life is too short to work all the time. :)

Originally posted by JuneBug
Ok I did see the 'english is not my primary language" but I was kinda hoping it was a typo.

June:

No, it wasn't a typo, in Spanish you call them "bebida energética" and that's close enough to energetic drink, don't you think?

Well, I'm sure you got the idea, and if you will call them energetic drink from now on, please, smile while you ask for it.

Regards

Originally posted by Tyler_68uk

An other good tip is to get your face wet and lean forward. It triggers your 'dive reflex', which means your brain thinks that you are under water. It means you body sends less blood to your stomach etc and doesn't waste oxygen and energy on them.

there's something both bizarre and lubricious about this recommendation. can't wait to try it!...both on the bike, or off!

cheers,

hardcastle

After you pick yourself up, having forgotten both feet are clipped in because you were chatting to a mate who is standing on the side of the road and decide for some strange reason that you should stop. Make sure you check all the things that may have loosened by the sudden stop, are not loose. Like your brand new mobile phone in its brand new Timbuk2 phone case velcro'd to your stem. Because when you hit that expansion joint in the bridge halfway through your ride, your new phone will not slip gently out of its snug little home, over your bars and does a neat half pike with a double twist off your front tyre, over the barrier, off the bridge and into the water 10 metres below for a prefect score from all the judges.

Keep your camelback bladder in the freezer between uses. This keeps the bacteria from growing inside. I've had the same bladder for 6 years and never needed to clean it out!

Originally posted by trekrider
Keep your camelback bladder in the freezer between uses. This keeps the bacteria from growing inside. I've had the same bladder for 6 years and never needed to clean it out!

I was like GROSS> sounds like something some psycho free rider from Vancouver would do.....I mean...THey will drink anything!!

wow that sounds like a song.

Actually that sounds like it would work. toss it in the freeze, thaw it before use and rinse once.
~~ of course you could get some really exotic cryogenic bacteria which no one has a cure for and turns you into a mutant. But hey. dem's da risks we take.

:p

My tube has lots of furry floating stuff in it. I rinse it with boiling water occassionally but has anyone found a cheaper bottlebrush than the Camelback brand that will fit in the tube?

Hey. if it doesn't kill ya; it must make you stronger ;)

Brian the unhygenic