The best high end frame

Pinarello is good, Colnago is good, Olmo is good, Carrera-podium is good, Cinelli is good. (that's for the Italian)

those brands all make very good frames, if you are a lucky man you can have the possibility to try em all !!!!!

Stay away from the low end frames of those brands, can be taiwan product with decals on it (maybe good frame but you can buy the same at a lower cost)

Stay away from "custom made" frames, usually are the same taiwanese products with a "little name artisan handmade" on it!!!!

ciao

You could get a custom Deddaciai or Columbus Aluminum frame for less than the price of a Canondale CAAD7. :p

I have a Wilier Izoard frame. It is a carbon / alumimium mix with the frame joints being al. and the tubes being carbon. Supposed to give you ridgidity and comfort.

Wilier Triestina are very nice frames - http://www.wilier.it/

You can get them in carbon, aluminum, or steel. And depending on your dealer, or if you contact them direct, you can get custom geometry.

Im new to the forums here and this cought my eye so I thought I would throw my .02 into the bunco. If you are looking at such frames as Colnagos top Carbon beauties then you seem to have the budjet for something like a De Rosa .... Have you checked them out? It would be worth it .... as for that Colnago, personally that would be my choice, while they are about to put another luxery frame on the market soon that one is sure enough to do your years justice. I was going to buy one until I unexpectedly had to cut my budjet in half and ended up falling in love with one of the Felts. Anyway, the 40 rides unbelievably perfect on all ocassions to me, great for sprinting and hil climbs and comfy for longer strides. All in all I think it would do you more than some good to hop on some of these high end frames at the local shops and see what you think ;)

Cheers

I ride a Colnago Dream Plus. It's all aluminum and definitely on the stiff side. And not all that comfy, even with the relaxed Euro geometry. But it's soft and smooth compared to the Canondale Caad5 I tested (at least I think it was a 5, maybe it was a Caad4).

I tested a Serotta Colorado a few weeks back for the heck of it. Uh, now THAT's smooth. Take a look at Serotta frames for sure. Try looking at roadbikereviews.com as well.

The dude who said 'forget steel it's outdated,' is clearly nuts. I'm thinking about building a 2nd Colnago Master Extra Light because of the smoother ride steel gives, without any compromise in BB stiffness.

I'm curious why a carbon seatpost would matter at all. Last time I checked, the post is receiving shock vertically. Unless that baby is compressing vertically, it isn't going to do much.

I'm looking into Willier frames as well.Thanks for all the reponses guys.Aztec have you had any problems dealing with colnago?

Originally posted by BaCardi
While I agree that the name on the frame is of absolutely no importance to the performance on a frame, it is WAY too broad a generalization to assume that this or that framebuilder has his frames outsourced if you will.

Forget Canondale. Its all for show. The tubing diameters on Canondales are way too big, creating a too stiff frame. If you are like the small portion of the people that like that, then by all means go for it. However, you haven't ridden in years, so how would you know? I had a friend that owned a Cannondale. All of about 6ft 3in and 190 lbs and even he thought the Canondale was too stiff and complained about how it beat him up on long rides. When he went back to steel it was a night/day difference.

There is a custom framebuilder in your country that builds out of steel, aluminum, and carbon. His name is Terry Dolan - http://www.terrydolan.co.uk/ - and he has also built for Chris Boardman in the past. His welds are VERY, VERY nice. Check out his website. The good thing about this is that you get custom geometry to fit your body and custom tubing diameters as well even if you do decide to get an aluminum frame. Read - no ultra stiff Canon if you choose aluminum. Dedacciai and Columbus also manufactures aluminum tubes that are thin wall and unlike Canondale, you can choose your tubing diameter which influences stiffness and comfort. But, you'd have to choose a custom framebuilder. This is the way to go for high end and if you compare prices, it works out to be cheaper than a Canondale plus the added benefits of custom geometry/tubing. A carbon or titanium seatpost and stem will NEVER compensate for an too stiff frame and you'd be kidding yourself if you think so.

Since there are a lot of people contributing to this question, what about mid-price frames, say £1000 for frame and forks? I would be interested to hear. I am looking for a comfortable ride and am 6'1" and 195lbs - I work out a lot - honest;)

Deej

Originally posted by HandyAndy
I'm looking into Willier frames as well.Thanks for all the reponses guys.Aztec have you had any problems dealing with colnago?

I bought my frame from someone on eBay, and I've had no reason to deal w/ Colnago. I can say, though, that when my LBS determined that I couldn't fit their in-stock 57cm, they took a week getting back to me to tell me that pretty much it wouldn't be easy to get a 58cm from them. Another shop gave a similarly vague commitment to even trying to get one! If BUYING a frame is that tricky, then getting any kind of service is likely to be that much tougher. Italian stuff is great, but their customer service is questionable for sure. But it's not like a car with thousands of moving parts that bust, so service needs should be rare (knock wood).

Go for a Fondriest mixed alum. & carbon. Has far has I know I do not know anyone not being amazed by the way there Fondriest frames behave.

Enjoy the ride!

One of my bikes is a Time Helix Equipe HM. Very smooth riding bike. It's a '96 model. The new models look even better. You may want to check them out. I have over 20,000 miles on the frame with no problems.

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Hi Everyone.I used to race competitively when I was younger but have lived in London for the last few years and havent touched a bike in years but now an able to buy a high end frame and kit it out.

Any ideas/opinions on bikes?I was looking at colnago c40 or ct1 but am unsure now after reading reports on Fondriest bikes and the new giant tcr 0.

I will probably go with dura ace on ksyrium wheels regardless of frame choice.

I will be racing on it more than once a month.
Anyone got any ideas?

If you are going to Dura Ace on it who cares what the frame is. if you want a good bike for medium paced rides of all distances buy a nice Bianchi or De Rosa steel frae and put Campagnolo on it>

I don't know how old this trail is, but I returned to the sport after a fifteen year break and now ride as you are planning, this is my first season back and I have been 'up there' in all of the races I have ridden - there is only ONE place to go to - you might remember Weilersport in Bognor Regis, where Mick Perry plied his trade in high end Italian machines - he built my last road bike when I left the sport; my first return bike - recommending a Ciocc; beautiful bike, well balanced etc, and he is in the process of building my next - a C40; His premises are now titled 'Maestro' and he is in Pagham, West Sussex - most enduring fountain of knowledge on really racing real racing bikes; unbiased, down to earth and totally down the line. Mick Perry, www.maestro-uk.com

Thanks Tim!Just to let you know that I bought my c40hp in december 03 from Mike!Its a small shop but seems its know throughout the world!Great guy with a super service.

You were on the right track when you started.

Go back and look at the Giant TCR Composite. I am sure that the Colnago is a wonderful bike. But, so is the money that will be left in your pocket without making any compromises when you get the TCR CF bike. All the reviews are raves and compare it head to head with much more expensive bikes.

As far as durability, I personally do not believe it is an issue. Todays CF are far removed and far superior to what was being produced even a few years ago. Especially with a monocoque frameset, you do not have to worry about any bonding between the lugs and tubes.

Originally posted by Fignon le Great
stay away from the US *** frames they are novel but thats about it, the best frames are still made by the classics...
Mikem, I agree; Fignon's attack, above, requires some support. The American companies focusing on Ti frames are pretty darn noble -- no one can deny that Moots, Seven, Serotta, and Merlin, a few of the kings of the US Ti-bike market, are absolutely top-notch. Novel? That's unfair. These companies are churning out some of the nicer frames available.

Litespeed and Airborne aren't quite as poshy-posh as the above labels, but they aren't exactly Huffy, either. Each makes a few framesets that any serious racer or bike collector would happily cruise to the ends of the earth on.

Oh, by the way - I also have a De Rosa Merak - it's quite nice - looks lovely and gets a lot of comment at the start of races - so if you want 'a look' go for a De Rosa - they are VERY pretty bikes, mine has Chorus and Record Ergo, Deda Magic, and everyone who has seen it says it looks superb - but it handles 50 5 to my NEW C40.......or is it just psychological (better check the spelling)

At the beginning of this tread someone said buying a highend frame was subjective and they were 100% correct. Everyone has an opinion, but you need to ride a few and see what suits your taste the best. I myself am getting fitted for a SEVEN Axiom this friday. I tell them what bike I am currently riding, what I like and don't like about it, what type of ride I'm looking for (stiff, responsive, forgiving) and they build it just for me.