The Best Laid Plans -- Succumb to Weather?

musette

Aug 29, 2003
I've been thinking about how the weather/climate conditions affect Grand Tours. Of course, factors such as wind can facilitate a team's splitting of the peloton (e.g., USPS during certain stages in the Vuelta), but the impact of weather can best be illustrated during the two ITTs of the 03 TdF.

The first was a very hot day, contributing (at least according to LA) to LA's loss of a chunk of time to JU. Being the capable manipulator of the press that he is, LA keeps on telling the story that he was outside getting ready for the ITT, while JU was sitting in an air-conditioned room.

The second ITT, in which JU needed to make up time, was a rainy, wet day, as everybody knows. That was already a negative factor, in terms of JU's potentially making time up on LA's lead. :(

What other stages of the TdF do members recall weather having played a significant part in? (There are of course certain LA uphill rides, as a hint, at least.)

Originally posted by musette
I've been thinking about how the weather/climate conditions affect Grand Tours. Of course, factors such as wind can facilitate a team's splitting of the peloton (e.g., USPS during certain stages in the Vuelta), but the impact of weather can best be illustrated during the two ITTs of the 03 TdF.

The first was a very hot day, contributing (at least according to LA) to LA's loss of a chunk of time to JU. Being the capable manipulator of the press that he is, LA keeps on telling the story that he was outside getting ready for the ITT, while JU was sitting in an air-conditioned room.

Yeah, Lance was dehydrated.

Funny how the heat didn't affect anyone else.

Rain is expected for the TTT, esp for the afternoon teams (i.e., USPS), according to the LA website thepaceline.com. :0

Further updates from LA website: "rain is definitely in the forecast, especially for the afternoon teams. Temperatures in the lows 70s F, winds North-East between 12-19 mph, possible gusts 30-35 mph under the storms"

Mayo starts 1:35 before USPS.

Much better. Rain is affecting all the teams and not just T-Mobile and USPS. May the best team under the conditions win. I'm still rooting for USPS, although USPS will have to use more of their rouleurs and will not be able to deply the climbers as much.