the best padded shorts/tights....

encomium

Dec 23, 2006
just a bit of a poll to see what people think which clothing manufacturer has the best padding.

encomium said:
just a bit of a poll to see what people think which clothing manufacturer has the best padding.

Search this forum, do NOT start another thread. Been there, done that with this same question numerous times. What's best for me might not be best for you, though I will add this is not an area to cheap out on.

encomium said:
I've bought Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau, and Descente AeroX. The Descente's are the best for me. Regarding cycling clothing, the more expensive stuff is better. I've not hit the part of the curve where the diminishing returns outweight the costs; The Descente shorts cost twice as much as the PI shorts but I no longer wear the PI's, the Descente's are just so much more comfortable.

Anybody found something better than the Descente AeroX shorts/bibs? In this price range I'd rather not just guess and buy something based on its marketing hype.

I'm sold on the new 3D Chamois that many companies are now using. If cost is no object, I can highly recommend the Sugoi RS Flex short ~120USD.

I have used cycling shorts made by INSPORT for quite a few years now. They generally run considerably less than the name brands and do not leave me wishing I had purchased something else.

Let's say they are good enough that I am not going to risk trying another brand, though many look appealing indeed.

I am going by the entire cycling shorts in genral though and not only the padding.

Thom_y said:
I'm sold on the new 3D Chamois that many companies are now using. If cost is no object, I can highly recommend the Sugoi RS Flex short ~120USD.

Well I hope they last longer than mine.
I bought 2 pairs of the Sugoi RS bibs and one had the lycra fall to pieces after 12mths and the other ones padding only lasted 7 mths before wearing out.
The RS shorts that I bought for my wife also had the lycra fall apart.
Bibs cost $250 ea in Aus so don't waste your money on Sugoi.
I've been wearing sugoi for the last ten years and had great wear out of the other clothing that I have but the new stuff is ****.

Buy descente or pearl izumi. more comfortable and a lot better wearing

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
I bought 2 pairs of the Sugoi RS bibs and one had the lycra fall to pieces after 12mths and the other ones padding only lasted 7 mths before wearing out.
What's this in term of ride time/miles? I'm finding recommendations made to me about things like shorts are falling well short of expectation only to have someone say to me "Oh, well I don't ride as much as you." I had great recommendations on the Performance Century bibs, but they lasted me 3-3 1/2 months which translated to about 4200km / 142 hrs.

I've got two sets of Pearl Izumi's aerosensors in the mail now. I wish there was a wear indicator on shorts that said "Don't keep wearing these after XXXX. Saddle sores impending"

I use several type of the Assos bib shorts. Can't recommend them enough, very comfortable, great on long distance rides. Actually goes for all the Assos gear. Damn expensive though, but I find them worth every penny.

I have three pairs of an unknown brand called "Quiet Earth"(what a mad name for cycling shorts) I bought on ebay about 2 1/2 years ago. I think they cost about $35 US each? They're non bibs(keeps the gut in!)

Since buying them I've done about 17 000kms. One pair(that I seem to use most) are just starting to wear through the lycra.
They're probably not the most comfortable(the chamois looks pretty plain) but I'm very impressed with them:)

I bought mine last spring and wore them almost every other ride through the summer and fall. Probably rode 3500k this summer. I know they recently changed the lycra material to a thinner, dimpled material and its 10 panel shorts with flat seams. I wash mine on the handwash cycle with as little HE detergent as possible in a frontload (HE) machine. Luckily they are holding out so far. But the chamois is my favorite.

I rec. Craft. I've had a pair of bibs for almost 3 years now and still good as ever. My Pearl Izumi's are good too, but I like the Craft 'feel' a lot more. When I get more cash I am looking forward to trying Assos.

I am using a pair of Endura brand shorts that I paid $50. They are extremely comfortable with a high quality brand. I cannot comment on longevity, but they were selected by a shop owner with an engineering degree. The products that he selected in other categories that I am familiar were very high quality so I took a chance since they were so comfortable. So far I am glad that I did.

He chose blackskins for tights(unpadded) and they are working out well also.

A lot of people wear padded bicycle shorts under their unpadded tights for extra insulation.

Actually, my favorite chamois is the one found in the Nashbar gel shorts and tights--a seamless, fairly slick, not-too-thick pad that never abrades, even when I forget to use my Assos butt creme. I own four of them, and the padding on one has gotten noticeably thinner from a lot of use, but the others are holding up very well.

My favorite shorts are the Performance Century shorts overall, but I wish they had the slightly more comfortable Nashbar chamois.

encomium said:
Iv tried so many different types and makes of bib shorts over the years and have finally found a comfortable decent fitting clothing made by Spiuk. I found it at www.spiuk.co.uk
Excellant by and helpful assistance for sizing to!!

I have tended to be cheap with shorts. I have purchased Pearl Izumi padded tights. I like these, even if they smash the package a bit. I bought some very cheap Canari and a non-brand name short that has a very small chamois. The Canari has lasted about 10-11 years. I bought a pair of Trek shorts--paid more money for these. The chamois is a little thicker. But within two years I have developed see through spots right where you don't want them. I'm thinking of ditching these. The rest of the world probably wants me to ditch them. But I'm mad because they shouldn't be wearing out. Any other place for the see through part wouldn't matter.