The best race wheel

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by fivefourteend, Nov 3, 2003.

1. fivefourteend

fivefourteend New Member

I want to get a new set of wheels, what would be the best choice for crit race.

Mavic cosmic, Mavic Ksyrium Elite, Rolf prima elan or vigor.

Tags:

2. Roche

Roche New Member

For me and racing wheels. I had Heliums. Mangled them terribly easily. Crap in my opinion.
    Then i got Ksyrium Elites. I was well impressed with them. Very rigid and stood up to hard rough roads very well. They lasted me 2 years of racing. Thats proper racing. But i did find that once they went out of true they were never the same after getting them fixed.
    I bought a set of Ksyrium SL's at the end of the summer and they are a class wheel and more expensive than the Elites. you're basically paying the extra cash because they are a bit lighter. I think they're meant to be stronger aswell but i havent really raced them hard yet.
    Just one problem with wheels such as these or any wheels that require special spokes. If you go away and have a problem with them bring spare spokes and a spoke key that fits......if you dont know how to true a wheel then somebody else might....
    To be honest i think there's a lot to be said for the standard dura-ace hub with the normal spokes and sup rims......but then again you have to be part of the cool gand and talk wheels....

3. holli

holli New Member

Best wheels? Mavic Open Pro (32), DT 1,8/2,0 spokes and Campagnolo Record hubs. The best money can buy!

If you have Shimano groupset(hope not) then DT Hügi has hubs for you. Offcourse you can have DT Hügi hubs in Campagnolo equipped bike as well.

4. king_matt87

king_matt87 New Member

well as far as custom wheels go Campagnolo record hubs are so smooth and then go for a light rim velocity Razor are good at 400g and just a good hrady triple buttered spoke have at least 2 cross. Even a pair of the new velocity OC are good because ur back wheel will stay nice and tru u never said what bike ua hev or ur budget so from what u told me u want a HP right go for teh new Campagnolo record ULTRA HYPERS light full carbon aslo in singles and with high grade Record hubs I just want to say Campagnolo Hubs HAVE BALLS not some little cartrage bearing u need to repleace when it gets slack u just tighten teh easy to use cone no need to take the wheel form teh bike. from the wheels u stated go for Rolf prima elan rolf are very good and roll well nealy as smooth as Record

5. SchwinnFan

SchwinnFan New Member

What about Bontrager Race X Lites...
    It's good enough for Lance to race on
    shouldn't be good enough for you???

6. rossoreduk

rossoreduk New Member

ewwww Bontrager.....i wouldnt go there...no sir!

7. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner New Member

Ksyrium work fine for me. Strong, light, straight.

8. drewjc

drewjc New Member

king_matt87 i agree with u. record hubs and velocity rims (or campag montreal).....Next time would u please have a quick read through your post b4 u click "submit" as i found it very difficult to read some of your mispellings (sorry to be pedantic).

9. drewski

drewski New Member

well, he's paid to use Bontragers.

didn't he use ksyriums until trek/bontrager put their foot down?

10. retrogeek

retrogeek New Member

Campy Eurus.

Light, can be had at a good price compared to other wheelsets in that weight range, and G3 spoking looks cool when standing still! They also seem to be very strong, have read reviews of riders weighing much more than I and they have reported no problems.

11. timmit

timmit New Member

kysiriums - at any race from the tour to a local 3rd cat race you'll find these more than any other wheel. they do everything well - good value, quite light (for the money), strong, aerodynamic - if I had double the money I'd go with some lighter carbon wheels.