The Best Rider Never to have won the Tour

philoakley

Nov 29, 2003
Who do you think is the best rider never to have won the Tour?. Obviously Raymond Poulidor springs to mind but riders such as Sean Kelly and Tony Rominger also. Any thoughts?

philoakley said:
Who do you think is the best rider never to have won the Tour?. Obviously Raymond Poulidor springs to mind but riders such as Sean Kelly and Tony Rominger also. Any thoughts?
Rominger
Bugno
Breukink
Zuelle
Chiappucci
Berzin
Virenque
Tonkov
Hampsten

Are we talking about Tour contenders never to win the Tour, or just riders never to win the Tour? Because names like Van Looy, De Vlaeminck, and Van Steenbergen come to mind, but they never contended. If only contenders, then there are the obvious names like Poulidor, Kelly, and perhaps Jalabert (as well as many, many others).

philoakley said:

philoakley said:
Another vote for Sean Kelly. He was a class act. It was great when he won the Vuelta.

Am new to biking, but I have heard a lot about Chipolinni (spelled wrong). Would he qualify.

John

Cipollini? He's too one dimensional. The day he wins Liege-Bastogne-Liege (or some such hilly race) he'll merit inclusion in this list.

john benkert said:
Am new to biking, but I have heard a lot about Chipolinni (spelled wrong). Would he qualify.

John

He's a sprinter at the end of his career.
He could qualify in the >best riders never to have 'finished' the Tour< but has never ,ever been a contender even for a podium place.If the road goes vertical for more than a mile he usually climb off.

john benkert said:

John

I am very very tempted to tell you what Cippollini would qualify for but it would be moderated
Let's just say, it certainly wouldn't be the best rider never to have won a Tour !

For to be considered for the question - the rider has to finish the Tour, Cippo hasn't even managed to do that !

philoakley said:

It's a great question, Phil.

I think Sean Kelly has to be considered (world no I rated cyclist 1984-1989).
Poulidor too.
Jalabert.

The french cyclist from the 1950's Gemiani (have I spelt that correctly ?)
was a great three Tour a season rider.

I agree with Rominger and Kelly and Jalabert.
Chiapucci is up there (even though I didn't like him much).
Jean-Francois Bernard could have won if he had more heart.
How about Andy Hampsten?
I hope we never have to add Tyler Hamilton to this list...

wadoflove said:
I agree with Rominger and Kelly and Jalabert.
Chiapucci is up there (even though I didn't like him much).
Jean-Francois Bernard could have won if he had more heart.
How about Andy Hampsten?
I hope we never have to add Tyler Hamilton to this list...

It's a bit silly as we can keep on adding names till we spammed the whole board to smithereens. But I will add three names to this list:

Hennie Kuiper
Herman van Springel
Bugno

I think Joseba Beloki was the best rider to ever show up for a Tour in July and not win. I'm talking about the Tour where he fell and broke his leg. He was in phenominal condition that year(his best ever)...and even Lance had noticed that this guy was going to be very dangerous...until his crash. So we never know what might have been. Beloki came into that Tour at his all time best....and none of the riders mentioned thus far were quite as strong during any of their Tours. Hampsten...a joke. Chiappucci should be on the list. Poulidor would be Liggett's favorite. Bugno desrves consideration. Erik Zabel is perhaps the best rider that has never won a tour...and never will win one. The best one day racer of all time in my book.

I hope we see him(Beloki) get back to that kind of form again soon.