The Best Sunglasses for Cycling

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by thereiner, Oct 7, 2003.

1. thereiner

thereiner New Member

Any ideas? Anyone try the Oakley Racing Jackets (i.e. Hincapie's specs).

Tags:

2. dobber

dobber New Member

My two cents. Cheap ones. $20 max. Ones you won't care if you left em behind, if they fall off and get run over.

So cheap you have an extra set stuck in your bag. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Heck, I've even used somewhat sporty looking safety glasses.

3. khuon

khuon New Member

In general, I agree. However, for those of us that need to have something that will accept prescription lenses, cheap generally doesn't offer many options.

4. xeu

xeu New Member

I'm planning on getting a pair of those glasses that change shade depending on the amount of sunlight they are exposed to (they are perscription eyeglasses). If you are a mountain biker, just get string of some sort that keeps them on for those rough jumps.

5. dobber

dobber New Member

Good point, never occurred to me. Blessed with better than 20/20, but with the color perception of a rock.

Until this year I never though about wearing glasses. That is until I took one in the face from a bird

6. blip

blip New Member

The oakley jackets are great optics but are a pain in the arse as they do not fold and i eventually broke the arm off mine. Rudy project make the best cycling glasses bar none. I have a pair of ekynox with a few different lenses for different conditions. They can be expensive but sertainly no more money than the oakleys

7. rek

rek New Member

I bought a pair of Rudy Project Kerosene glasses when they were on special at a bike shop. I would never buy them at list price though, as they are so expensive (as are the extra lenses.) Can't fault them on merit, though, they're very adjustable and durable.

On the prescription front, I decided to short-cut the issue entirely, and switch to contact lenses.. it's great to have clear peripheral vision again :)

8. khuon

khuon New Member

I too have Rudy Project Kerosenes. I choose them because they fit well on my face, accepted an Rx insert, were very adjustable and their venting system actually works. I tried the Oakley M-Frames and just could not get it to sit right on my pudgy little nose. Although I liked the Oakleys their lack of an adjustable nosepiece caused me to rule them out. I think my Kerosenes are every bit as good as the M-Frames.

9. patch70

patch70 New Member

Another Rudy Project fan... (Ekynox)

10. khuon

khuon New Member

For road cycling, I will wear my contacts. I however always have a contact case, small bottle of rewetting drops and my Rx inserts in my back pocket as well as some clear lenses for my sunglasses to augment the smoke grey ones I wear in the daytime. If I get something in my eyes and have to eject my contacts, I won't be left thumbing a ride home or waiting for my irritated wife to come fetch me. For MTB'ing contacts are simply not an option so I do need something with Rx capability.

11. drewjc

drewjc New Member

To answer your question the Oakley Racing Jackets that my mate wears are second only to my Oakley Pro M-Frames. They are both very expensive and very comfortable. If money wasnt a deciding factor (which is never the case) i would recommend these (M-Frames or Racing Jackets) as they are lighter weight and more flexible than Rudy Projects (which are great glasses in their own right) creating a very comfortable fit without pressure points. There is also a version of the M-Frame that has foldable arms for storage purposes but i believe the added strength of a one piece design outweighs the negatives of not being able to fold them (just put them on your head). The Oakleys are available in all shades of lenses and frames including prescription although i have heard that these are very expensive. One last thing. I have tried cheap glasses and after using quality optics for some time i have vowed never to go back to them. They tend to distort the light and at times have made me feel sick. Just check the number of riders in the peleton riding with these glasses (Lance, Hincapie, Millar, O'Grady, McEwen, Vinokourov, McGee, Beloki, Mayo, and Hamilton, Brown & Zulle who all use prescription versions)

Conclusion:
    Oakleys are the best glasses but price is a HUGE factor;

Rudy Project have excellent optics but are a little stiff and heavy aswell as a tad expensive;

Cheapies are shocking quality and may fall apart/distort light but u can replace them easily and even carry a spare pair with little impact on the budget.

Given the choice again i would still chosse my Oakleys.

12. isdsms

isdsms New Member

And do you know why they all wear the expensive glasses? Sure, quality is a factor and if you've got the money to spend... buts it all about sponorships. Cycling is turning into a big business. I know that Lance is sponored by Oakley. Any others?

Still, I wish I had a pair.:D

13. cpa

cpa New Member

I agree, Rudy's are the way to go
    Got a new pair of Ekynox SX off eBay dirt cheap.

Fog free, fit great, interchangeable lenses AND look great..... I wear 'em everywhere !!

Get 'em !
    :D

14. jitteringjr

jitteringjr New Member

I wear contacts too and one night when I was doing a long ride I decided to take my sunglasses off because it was getting too dark out for sunglasses. About 1 min later, I took a bug in the eye and it got caught up in my contact. I spent 20 minutes trying to get it out without getting droped from the group. Lesson learned, never go unprotected again.

I want to get a pair of sunglasses that I can change out the lenses with clear ones, but for now I wear my black "Men in Black" Ray Bans....

"We are the men in 'tights'...
    the galaxy defenders....
    We are the men in 'tights'...
    they won't let you remember...."

15. jtfleming

jtfleming New Member

baseball safety glasses with changeable color lenses...you can flip the lenses up when you want to uncover your eyes

16. JohnO

JohnO New Member

I sprung a sinful amount of money for M Frames, and they actually worked out pretty well. Sun doesn't come over the top when I'm spent and the head is hanging down... really keep the breeze off of the eyes.

Decided to patronize Oakley when I read how the prez. of the company put Lance on their medical insurance when he was sick. "Cover him, or we take our business somewhere else" I figure they made a great contribution to cycling, so I owed them at least one purchase in return. If I hadn't read about that in Lance's book, I probably wouldn't have bought the M frames.

However, at $150 a pop, I don't think I'll be getting any more.

17. Cletus75

Cletus75 New Member

I wear Oakley's casually (Wired 2.0s) but wanted something else for sport - I still have bad memories of how fragile those Blades and RazorBlades were back in the late 80's / early 90's. Bought Rudy Project Kersosenes and am very happy with them. Their scratch guarrantee was a big selling point too - says something about their confidence, whereas I scratched those Wires within 48hours.

ISDSMS mentioned the big business aspect - have you noticed how hard Rudy were pushing that all the jersey winners (bar Lance) this year were wearing their glasses? The ads seem to be in all the magazines (cycling and tri). Though the tri ads seem to focus a bit more on McCormack of course!

18. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

Over the years I've ridden with, and lost or broken Oakley Eyeshades, Blades, Razorblades, Mumbos, Frogskins, Minutes, A-Wires, Fives and M-Frames. I still have the Fives and M-Frames - I use the Fives for MTB (much cheaper to replace!) and the Ms for the road (good wide coverage around the eyes).

On rainy and overcast days I use D'Arcs Scanners - real cheap :) - but they came with clear, orange and smoked lenses. The whole set cost the same as one clear lens for the M-frames. Optical quality is no problem and they fit just fine...

19. bigfloppyllama

bigfloppyllama New Member

I've tried a few of my friend's oakley's and while nice, but found I prefer Rudy's. I just ordered the Rydon's for a pretty nice price, so hopefully they're just as good as the Freeon's I've been using.

20. tbick

tbick New Member

I have Oakley, Bolle and Rudy Project, and a pair of $16 el-cheepo sport glasses.

I would sumit that factor number one is comfort.

Additionally, the ability to prevent transmission of UV rays is worth consideration.

Personally, my Rudy Project Rydon sunglasses are the most comfortable, best designed I have seen....my next favorite pair over the Oakley and Bolle are the $16 glasses.....go figure!