The Best Sunglasses for Cycling

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by thereiner, Oct 7, 2003.

1. lokstah

lokstah New Member

In the end, buying sunglasses is like buying -- well, it's almost like buying regular glasses. Most of the advice avaliable is well-meaning but it doesn't mean squat if the make or model just doesn't work well on your head, with your nose, your eye sockets, the spread of your eyes, the width of your face, the shape of your ears, and doesn't accomodate your optical needs.

My advice: go to a sunglasses store with a good selection (even your neighborhood mall's Sunglasses Hut will do) of different makes in a reasonable price range, and try on as many as you can. You'll know the right one when you hit it. If it's out of your price range, look for a second choice.

Just be sure they're comfy, with lenses that feel beneficial, and a shape and size that's appropriate for your field of vision (it's wise to tip your head downward, like you would in an aero tuck, to check the upper viewing range of the frame). About 5 months ago, I went sunglasses shopping and ended up with the $69 MiniSwinger from Arnette; they fit me like they were designed for my skull and the optics feel right.

Oh, and they look cool.

2. Sportfamous

Sportfamous New Member

Yes, Oakley stuff is very nice :) And you can get it for very reasonable price if you're lucky at E-Bay.

;)

3. stevenaleach

stevenaleach New Member

I can't suggest any "brand" names (a concept that I hate with a passion) but I would suggest looking into prescription sunglasses with polarized polycarbonate lenses. Very durable and a good insurance policy in case a piece of 50 mph gravel should decide to launch itself at your eyeball. The polarization is a nice bonus and will clear up glare some.

I can't deal with daylight at all without sunglasses due to an injury to my left eye. I have almost no useful vision in that eye, and the iris was torn and is permanently dilated... so sunglasses driving, walking, biking, working in the yard, etc. etc. I am a great believer in polycarbonate lenses just because I want ANY extra protection for my good eye that I can get!

4. petal666

petal666 New Member

Briko Raider 2's. The are old but they are big and keep out lots of wind and dust. I also have some Rudy Project Ekynox for night time but the anti-fog gaps in the lens let too much air throuhg. It hurts my eyes after 1/2 an hour or so.

5. Sidi

Sidi New Member

Its not all about "SPONSORSHIP".

Ever had a bee fly right onto your sunglasses at 60 mph?

Some cheap glasses will just shatter on impact but Oakleys have no problem with that.

6. stevenaleach

stevenaleach New Member

Yea, and everyone knows that if the name costs more then it's a better product right? That's why a T-shirt is worth $50 if it says hillfiger across the entire chest... everyone knows that the presence of the brand name advertisement means that you can wash the shirt 1,000,000 times without it wearing out or even fading.

You could get a set of prescription polarized sunglasses with polycarbonate (read VERY durable and shatter proof) lenses far cheaper than a pair that has oakley written on them.

7. dlakey

dlakey New Member

For Sunglasses I highly reccommend the glasses I wear which are Blublocker Magnums.

You can see them at the following website.

https://store.blublocker.com/catalog/new/magnum.html

What makes these glasses so unique and so perfect for bike riding is the fact that they are solid in the back. Meaning the earpieces wrap all the way around the head. The glasses come apart at the bridge of the nose. They are held together at the nose bridge by magnets. So no matter how long you lean over and look at the ground they will never come off your head. When you want to take them off, you just unfasten them in the front and let them hang around your neck.

I have had mine for almost a year now and they have been perfect for me.

Dan

8. petal666

petal666 New Member

What are tricite rare earth magnets? Tricite isn't a rare earth, in fact I have never heard of it.

9. LIMBA

LIMBA New Member

Oakley Mframe.

10. bring77

bring77 New Member

if you want to look cool, get the Rudy's.
    if you want glasses that dont break, are indestructable and look REALLY cool, get Arnette's.

11. drewjc

drewjc New Member

if you want glasses that do the best job, look cool, and cost lots, get Oakleys

12. guillemot

guillemot New Member

I wear Oakley Frogskins with the gold/brown (they call it iridium) polarized lenses. I have never looked through clearer optics than oakley, and their polarized lenses make a world of difference. Very different from other polarized setups. If you have a chance to try on a pair and walk around in the sunlight for a few minutes, you'll see what I mean. I think that lens is available on several different frames.

13. petal666

petal666 New Member

I have several pairs of Oakleys and I have several pair of other brands which are much clearer.

14. ewep

ewep New Member

Oakley M-Frame Pro. I've got a set of cheapos, but I only wear these when it's dark.

15. Leon

Leon New Member

Have always used Oakley and have recently got a pair of Rudy Projects. I am very impressed.

They do not fog up as badly as the Oakley and the lenses appear to repel water much better.

L

16. filtersweep

filtersweep New Member

Like the pros aren't PAID to use them?

Seriously, what I like about my RP Kerosenes-

1- I can change lenses.

2- No lower lip on the frame to catch sweat

3- Optics are great (difficult to scratch lenses)

4- Customer service is second to none (just call and they'll send you whatever you need if a nose piece falls off...)

17. jestork

jestork New Member

Rudy Project RB-3's. Interchangeable lenses, prescription insert, and they flip up, which is great when you go into a darker area or room.

18. OrangeCntyCarl

OrangeCntyCarl New Member

19. Wally

Wally New Member

I recommend spending as little as possible that way you dont feel bad when you sit on them and inevitably if you spend less than $20.00 on them they will last forever, at least thats my experiance when I spring the big bucks for a stylish set they always meet an early demise. I have a set of Performace Flights and they are very light and comfortable. I had a much more expensive pair (3X the cost) and never liked them but wore them anyways because the were the "better" pair until the nose piece broke off.................Less expensive is better I actually take two pairs to the races so I dont have to change the lenses...... :)

20. Ralph Ray

Ralph Ray New Member

I have 3 pair of LeMond attack sunglasses. One black,one blue and one red. Also one pair of the old Scott sunshields. Hey, I have to be color coordinated on my rides. Besides, the LeMonds have the most "ZOOT" factor by far. "Unique is what we seek, bizarre is what we are"