The Best Sunglasses for Cycling

After dark/before dawn I wear a pair of UVEX $20 safety glasses (clear) - impact rated and UV stabilised - look kinda like rudy ekinox, crystal clear and TOUGH. Daytime i wear nike's original GOLF glasses - the cinnamon tint is excellent for all daylight conditions here, they also look like rudys, they're light, vent well and also inexpensive.

Originally posted by thereiner
Any ideas? Anyone try the Oakley Racing Jackets (i.e. Hincapie's specs).

For road biking, the best sunglasses for me is the one:
- that has a high browline so that the frame will not block my frontal vision when I am on the drops,
- no bottom frame to irritate my cheeks, rigid enough so that I can remove them with ease and put it back without any difficulty
- the lens won't distort my frontal and peripheral vision most especially when I stoop down (as in a sprint)
- not heavy so that it won't rattle when the road is not so smooth.
- and well ventilated so a not to fog when it gets hot.

For mountain biking, any wrap-around frame wuth a neutral-colored lens will do.

Originally posted by thereiner
Any ideas? Anyone try the Oakley Racing Jackets (i.e. Hincapie's specs).
Rudy Project Kerosene. I want lenses that will not shatter in a crash, and also these frames allow me to change lenses. I do not wear glasses but when training I wear them to protect my eyes from flying objects. If it's not sunny due to being early in the morning I use a clear lens. I change to the tinted lens with sun. The lens change takes seconds so it's an easy process. I have been using these for 3 years and love em, they are sturdy.

Looking to spend the money for Oakley's with Rx; I'm getting to be a real ol' fart and can't see well without glasses. Performance makes a cheap set with inserts, but they're fragile and two inserts have now broken in just as many months.

Anybody have an idea of model number, name, id of the Oakley models mentioned here which take Rx? I'll check the web to see if can find a good pair.

Dave

Oh, Yeah, forgot to mention. Do need to consider problem of riding after dark. Interchangeable lenses would be great.

Dave

Have any of you used Gargoyles? I see that intersun.com has them, including the inserts. I used to have a pair, they have interchangeable lenses, and the inserts worked OK. Much sturdier than Performance's knock-off of the Oakley Lance Armstrong/M-Frame. For a long time I could not find them, until I stumbled onto this forum and caught the intersun link.

Dave

Cycling is Life...

OAKLEY FOREVER!!! i've ridden on Oakley Splices and XXs. The Splices are amazingly clear, comfortable and UNDESTRUCTABLE. i have crashed skiing head first wearing these glasses, and the firsth thing to hit the ice-hard snow was the left hinge of the Splices. good as new. The twenties weren't as confortable, but also tough as hell and a bit cheaper

In SA we have a make called D'Arcs. Not the most expensive, but price vs performance these are GREAT sunglasses. R300 buys you the titanium Scanners wich is one fram with 3 interchangeble lenses. Lifetime no crack , no scratch garuntee on the lenses (they used to advertise a car driving over the lens). I've had nothing but joy from them. Very comfy, very light and doesnt mist up easily (I've got a huge problem with glasses misting up, these dont).

I've got very light sensitive eyes due to getting arch eye a few times whilst welding, these things help plenty.

ZenniOptical dot com

Non-prescription and prescription glasses/sunglasses on the cheap.

Oh how I'd have to agree. I killed a pair of multi-lens sunglasses after an easy spill that didn't hurt me. $90 down the drain.

jdewberr said:
Oh how I'd have to agree. I killed a pair of multi-lens sunglasses after an easy spill that didn't hurt me. $90 down the drain.
Oh, how I'd have to disagree. 6 years with prescription, multi-lens glasses, and it's been 6 great years with many more to come. The money was spent well.