The bicycle culture.

alexhku

Feb 18, 2014
Hello guys,

I'm a student living in Amsterdam, studying product design. One of my current projects is the bicycle culture, which im researching at the moment. Let me start about telling what kind of bike culture we have in Amsterdam.

Well in the Netherlands we have a sort of disposable bike culture, at which one simply thinks of his or her bike as a replacable way of transportation. This isn't ofcourse always the case, since some people grow attached to their bike they've had since a while ago.

I myself, had my share of bikes in the past, but since all of my own store-new bought bikes got stolen, i've had given up hope on ever owning a nice shiny bike without worrying it might get ripped every moment i don't see it.
Most of the students in Amsterdam and other large cities here own bikes that they've either found and restored, or bought from a "street vendor" for a margianal price like 25€. So people rather not grow attached to their bikes, because of the not so uncommon bike-theft here. I myself, have scavenged deserted bike's and made them into my own custom's.

I'm interested in what people around the world think of their bike culture, and their bike.
For instance, if you've ever grown attached to a bike, and why. And what kind of bikes or the most common in your area of cycling. In Holland, we got the mighty "grandma bike" which pretty much dominates the markets over here.

So, i'm asking you guys to write a short story (few sentenses should be fine) about your experiences and love/hate relationship with bike's, and specially you're own bike. I mean, if you invest in a bike, you must grow somewhat attached to it right?
This would help me allot in my research! Thanks for reading.

Kind regards,
Alexander