The Bicycle Island

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Hearns, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    I was in Glasgow over the last week or so, and had a few days of excellent cycling. Here's a short
    report of my visit to Sandy's Bicycle Island of Cumbrae last Saturday.

    I got up at 6:30 and was at the Boulevard(A82) for 7:30. Sadly the Fort William coach didn't stop
    for me, so I couldn't make it to see the world mountain biking championships at the Fort.   So back
    home for a second breakfast, and plan B - a visit to Millport. This is a classic Glasgow day out -
    train, then ferry over to the island of Cumbrae. Its also most people's yearly contact with a bike -
    hire a bike and ride round the island.   So at 11:30 I caught the Renfrew ferry, and sped off at
    18+mph along the road to Paisley to catch the 11:56 train with 1 minute to spare. Good space on the
    train for bikes. Arrive Largs around 1pm for the short ferry ride.   I then set off on the 4 miles
    to Millport, and popped in to see Sandy Morton. http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk/Bikes.html
    Sandy has all sorts of bikes for hire - including trailers for small children, tow along bikes and
    tandems, which were very popular. With two other shops,over 1000 hire cycles on the island. Truly a
    cycle paradise - the bikes outnumber the cars no problem. He was doing a roaring trade when I was
    there, with people coming in every five minutes. Sandy works out of a shop at the bottom of his
    garden, where the house overlooks the Firth of Clyde (some people have all the luck!). Great to meet
    him.   Off then for a pub lunch, only to run into the group of women from the ferry who seemed to be
    on a mission to drink the place dry of Bacardi Breezers...   Then off for the quick 11 mile circuit
    of the island - on flat roads! No hassle from cars, and loads of family and leisure cyclists in
    various states of puffing and panting to chat with. Pride comes before a fall though, as the 16+
    miles an hour I was bowling along at turned out to be due to a big tailwind. Turned round at the
    ferry slipway for a return at a reduced pace. A 99 ice cream in Millport fueled me for the last lap
    round to the ferry. Coffee in Nardinis in Largs.   And yes, as a good London cyclists I dragged my
    heavy D-lock across to an island where everyone has a bike, and rows of bikes sit untethered outside
    shops, pubs and cafes. Duuhh....

    Tags:

  2. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:

    much snipped but greatly appreciated.

    > And yes, as a good London cyclists I dragged my heavy D-lock across to an island where everyone
    > has a bike, and rows of bikes sit untethered outside shops, pubs and cafes. Duuhh....

    Thanks John - where do I send the comisssion:)

    Seriously this is a great explanation of the Bicycle Island - which you are all welcome to visit.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk