The big fat con story

>A little research on osteoporosis will show that fat people generally
>don't suffer this malady. It's a horrible, life-ruining ailment that
>strikes only the thin, so of course it's not a cause for changing body
>shape like, say, high blood pressure or other "diseases" that are
>characteristic of fat people. You'd never catch a doctor telling a
>scrawny middle-aged woman to put on some weight, even if it would save
>her years of being bedridden with a broken pelvis later on. Yet any
>doctor is likely to suggest weight loss to a fat patient with elevated
>blood pressure, who has no other symptoms of health problems.

Quite often over here in Old Blighty, apart from the usual attacks on obesity,
are attacks at the other end of the spectrum - thinness in young girls, young
women. It seems the drive to be supermodel thin, as pushed by the media - after
all, any female above a size 10 is obviously a lesser mortal, totally
unattractive, scum that is not worthy of the time of day, etc, etc - is having
a noticeable adverse effect. Seems osteoporosis is on the up. Women in their
20s are shown to have bone densities expected to be found in women in thier
60s. Why? The drive and pressure to be *thin* as per media stereotypical images
of what beautiful is, means too many girls & young women are avoiding the main
sources of calciumin their eating habits - not enough dairy produce is eaten.
Nor are girls & young women doing exercise - it simply isn't seen as something
girls do. But what the heck, at least they are going to die looking beautiful,
so that's okay then :-/

One of my current pet hate adverts is a Weightwatchers one - where you get all
the blurb about losing weight with images of happy, smiling, thin women and the
end shot is of the thin bride coming out of the church on the arm of hubby.
Makes me want to puke - the inference is quite clear. Blech...

I am indeed fatter than a size 10, but I can get on my bike and cycle 50+ miles
and enjoy it, and I take part in club TTs for the sheer fun of participating,
and the other day I sailed past a callow youth on a mountain bike up a hill :)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

On 21 May 2004 06:56:41 GMT, [email protected]omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

>I am indeed fatter than a size 10, but I can get on my bike and cycle 50+ miles
>and enjoy it, and I take part in club TTs for the sheer fun of participating,
>and the other day I sailed past a callow youth on a mountain bike up a hill :)
>

>Cheers, helen s

A decent set of goals -
o nothing bulges;
o can wear off the rack clothes;
o strong and happy, and able to do the work of the day;
o hobby or fun activity;
o not be out of breath.

Sounds as though you have all of these and more - wisdom, and wit.

-B

> and the other day I sailed past a callow youth on a mountain bike up a hill :)

You're not going to let us forget that one in a hurry, are you? ;-)

--
m.

>A decent set of goals -
>o nothing bulges;
>o can wear off the rack clothes;
>o strong and happy, and able to do the work of the day;
>o hobby or fun activity;
>o not be out of breath.
>
>Sounds as though you have all of these and more - wisdom, and wit.

Thank you (curtsey)

Alas, I do indeed have bulges and I have been known to get out-of-breath when I
exert myself (ooh-err Missus!) Indeed, looking at a picture of Hugh Jackman can
render me instantly breathless...

As for wit, I am determined to be a thoroughly disgraceful old woman who will
spit in the eye of what life throws my way :)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

>> and the other day I sailed past a callow youth on a mountain bike up a hill
>:)
>
>You're not going to let us forget that one in a hurry, are you? ;-)

Too darned right! It doesn't happen that often so I'm going to milk it for all
it's worth and more for years to come.

Picture family wedding/funeral etc in years to come and it'll be "Oh no, Mad
Auntie/Granny/Old Crone in the corner is telling that story again. Quick,
someone give her a glass of wine to shut her up."

Cheers, helen s ;-)

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

On 21 May 2004 08:28:35 GMT, [email protected]omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

>>A decent set of goals -
>>o nothing bulges;
>>o can wear off the rack clothes;
>>o strong and happy, and able to do the work of the day;
>>o hobby or fun activity;
>>o not be out of breath.
>>
>>Sounds as though you have all of these and more - wisdom, and wit.

>Thank you (curtsey)
>
>Alas, I do indeed have bulges and I have been known to get out-of-breath when I
>exert myself (ooh-err Missus!) Indeed, looking at a picture of Hugh Jackman can
>render me instantly breathless...
>
>As for wit, I am determined to be a thoroughly disgraceful old woman who will
>spit in the eye of what life throws my way :)
>
>Cheers, helen s

Not if you're wearing size 10 clothes. That's a pretty small size, figuring
you're about 5'6", or so. Betcha you can 'make a muscle'! (biceps), and
tell me you've not asked anyone to feel your quads, hehe. ;-p

Out of breath? Not when you just run up the steps lugging your bike!

Of course you breathe when you're riding incredible mileage! That's not the
same thing.

Hugh? Ah, well, He's dead sexy. Even guys think that. I'd rate him up
there, along with Adrian Paul (The Highlander).

You go, girl!

-B

>Not if you're wearing size 10 clothes.

With a few more sizes added on to get to the correct one! Mind you I did
discover the advantage to having a fat ar$e when first trying clipless pedals -
padding when the inevitable fall occurs as a result of forgetting to unclip
before coming to a halt...

>Betcha you can 'make a muscle'! (biceps), and
>tell me you've not asked anyone to feel your quads, hehe. ;-p

My quads are well hidden. Mind you I have not bad legs for an old bird - thanks
to cycling. Teenage son & hubby have remarked, along lines of "Mum! You've got
muscles in your legs... That's scary!" Or "Nice set of pins, wife." ;-)

>Hugh? Ah, well, He's dead sexy. Even guys think that. I'd rate him up
>there, along with Adrian Paul (The Highlander).

Personally I preferred Christopher Lambert in Highlander.... something about
the accent & the brooding looks I think... PHWOAR!!!!

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

>>> and the other day I sailed past a callow youth on a mountain bike
>>> up a hill :)

>> You're not going to let us forget that one in a hurry, are you? ;-)

> Too darned right! It doesn't happen that often so I'm going to milk
> it for all it's worth and more for years to come.
>
> Picture family wedding/funeral etc in years to come and it'll be "Oh
> no, Mad Auntie/Granny/Old Crone in the corner is telling that story
> again. Quick, someone give her a glass of wine to shut her up."

Back when I was running (slow 10Ks and half-marathons and stuff), I passed
someone once.

{pause}

She tried to trip me with her crutches, but I got by!

Bill "rimshot" S.

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote;
>
> Chalo wrote
>
>>> Poor health can be a cause of obesity, but obesity is NOT a cause of
>>> poor health.

>> Yes, it is. There is a demonstrated link.

> I already said there was a link, in that poor health could cause
> obesity. The reverse is not the case; an otherwise fit and healthy
> person will not become unhealthy simply by being fat.
>
> You employ the logical fallacy of "cum hoc ergo propter hoc", assuming
> that because some people with unhealthy lifestyles become fat as a
> result, that all fatness is the result of an unhealthy lifestyle.
> Just ain't so, mate.

I'm not talking about a few extra pounds on an otherwise healthy person.
I'm talking obesity and it is a direct cause of ill-health.

--

A: Top-posters.
> Chalo Colina

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]

[...]

> My quads are well hidden. Mind you I have not bad legs for an old
> bird - thanks to cycling. Teenage son & hubby have remarked, along
> lines of "Mum! You've got muscles in your legs... That's scary!" Or
> "Nice set of pins, wife." ;-)

Who says romance is dead?

--

A: Top-posters.

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> ********. Obesity is at epidemic levels, with the concomitant
> >> dreadful health costs, not least of which is diabetes and related
> >> illnesses as well as cardiovascular disease.

> > <snip>
> >> For the vast bulk of the Fat ***** In Denial (FFID) out there it is
> >> completely avoidable. They're fat because they make every excuse
> >> under the sun instead of taking responsibility for the fact they eat
> >> ****, they eat heaps of it and they don't exercise. Oh, and where
> >> did I say anything about BMI? I use body fat percentage, not BMI.

> > I offer a photo that illustrates the flaw in your thinking:
> >
> > http://www.rulongardner.com/images/album/15s.gif

> I have only normal eyesight.

http://www.rulongardner.com/images/slideshow/dsc_3626.jpg

This picture very clearly shows the difference in body type.

http://www.rulongardner.com/images/slideshow/dsc_3647.jpg

Rulon's no skinny boy. At a guess, he has a higher BF% than me, and I'm
not Lance.

> > Rulon Gardner has *way* more body fat than Aleksandr Karelin, whom he
> > beat largely due to superior stamina compared to the leaner, and
> > stronger, wrestler. Rulon is a fat guy who is also an elite,
> > top-level athlete in superb health.
> >
> > Poor health can be a cause of obesity, but obesity is NOT a cause of
> > poor health.

> Yes, it is. There is a demonstrated link.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

" S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Back when I was running (slow 10Ks and half-marathons and stuff), I passed
>someone once.
>
>{pause}
>
>She tried to trip me with her crutches, but I got by!

Heh. I was once doing a race and heard what I thought was a bike
passing me.

It was a guy pushing one of those tricycle baby carriages.

Sigh...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com