The bike behind the plastic bubble

Bill Anton

Guest
Just got the Mueller Windwrap fairing for my R-40 the other day, and thought I'd post some of my
initial impressions of this product, and open up a new thread for comments.

First off, it came as a surprise to me that the fairing came rolled up! From the pictures I had seen
in catalogs and the 'net, and having seen "Lexan" only in a rigid form, I expected that this fairing
would also be rigid, like a motorcycle fairing/windshield. On my first ride around the block, I
wasn't too impressed: our neighborhood streets around here are paved with such a rough surface that
the fairing writhes and shakes like Jell-O out of its mold. The fact that this fairing mounts to the
front derailleur tube (way out front on the boom) means that the vibrations are amplified by the
time they get to the fairing mounts. So even when it's adjusted perfectly, the vibrations can still
cause occasional shoe-fairing contact. It has a tilt-forward feature for mounting / dismounting, and
I have found that on rough pavement the fairing starts swinging forward on its own accord--I'm
continually pulling it back down against its adjustable stop. So I continued riding the bike around
the neighborhood 'till I got everything adjusted just right.

This morning I took the bike out at sunrise for a quick 14 miles. Before beginning I checked to make
sure the 6 nylon bolts and nuts were secure (but plastic screws can only take so much torque). Half
way through the ride I noticed that one of those nylon bolts was gone! The thing just vibrated right
out: nut, bolt, and 2 of the 4 washers gone. So I double-checked the remaining 5 fasteners and
finished the ride. Fortunately the local Lowe's hardware has a nice selection of nylon fasteners. I
went back and put some clear RTV on all the bolt threads to (hopefully) prevent any more bolts from
backing out. (I'm pretty sure Loc-tite only works on metal bolts.)

So here's my overall initial impressions of this fairing: (1) the bike doesn't feel any faster yet,
though I have yet to try it against the 25 MPH headwinds that are common around here in the
afternoons, (2) It seems to work best on smooth roads, (3) Vision/Mueller are very proud of this
fairing--at $450 (fairing + mounts + shipping) it's nearly half the cost of a new R-40, (4) it seems
that a fairing doubles the head-turning factor in bystanders, especially kids (Mom! Quick! Look at
THAT bike! That's PHAT!) and (5) I'll probably appreciate this fairing more in February when its
helping me to stay warm.

Tomorrow morning I hope to find out how the fairing changes handling and performance in a pace line.
These are the same bunch of hammerheads that dropped me two weeks ago. Nothing like a little
friendly competition to raise my power output :)

Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB, OSS, Fairing Lubbock, TX, USA

[email protected] (Bill Anton) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Just got the Mueller Windwrap fairing for my R-40 the other day, and thought I'd post some of my
> initial impressions of this product, and open up a new thread for comments.
>
> First off, it came as a surprise to me that the fairing came rolled up! From the pictures I had
> seen in catalogs and the 'net, and having seen "Lexan" only in a rigid form, I expected that this
> fairing would also be rigid, like a motorcycle fairing/windshield. On my first ride around the
> block, I wasn't too impressed: our neighborhood streets around here are paved with such a rough
> surface that the fairing writhes and shakes like Jell-O out of its mold. The fact that this
> fairing mounts to the front derailleur tube (way out front on the boom) means that the vibrations
> are amplified by the time they get to the fairing mounts. So even when it's adjusted perfectly,
> the vibrations can still cause occasional shoe-fairing contact. It has a tilt-forward feature for
> mounting / dismounting, and I have found that on rough pavement the fairing starts swinging
> forward on its own accord--I'm continually pulling it back down against its adjustable stop. So I
> continued riding the bike around the neighborhood 'till I got everything adjusted just right.

I ride sometimes with a fellow who has a fairing. The sound it makes on rough pavement is enough to
make me shy. I've used an easy technique to reduce vibration on panels. Self adhesive weatherstrip
can be attached in the middle of large expanses of the fairing. Another idea, would be to form some
rigid strips from wood or plastic or aluminum and attach them to the fairing via the foam strips to
hold the fairing's shape.

later,rorschandt

rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Bill Anton) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Just got the Mueller Windwrap fairing for my R-40 the other day, and thought I'd post some of my
> > initial impressions of this product, and open up a new thread for comments.
> >
> > First off, it came as a surprise to me that the fairing came rolled up! From the pictures I had
> > seen in catalogs and the 'net, and having seen "Lexan" only in a rigid form, I expected that
> > this fairing would also be rigid, like a motorcycle fairing/windshield. On my first ride around
> > the block, I wasn't too impressed: our neighborhood streets around here are paved with such a
> > rough surface that the fairing writhes and shakes like Jell-O out of its mold. The fact that
> > this fairing mounts to the front derailleur tube (way out front on the boom) means that the
> > vibrations are amplified by the time they get to the fairing mounts. So even when it's adjusted
> > perfectly, the vibrations can still cause occasional shoe-fairing contact. It has a tilt-forward
> > feature for mounting / dismounting, and I have found that on rough pavement the fairing starts
> > swinging forward on its own accord--I'm continually pulling it back down against its adjustable
> > stop. So I continued riding the bike around the neighborhood 'till I got everything adjusted
> > just right.
> >

> I ride sometimes with a fellow who has a fairing. The sound it makes on rough pavement is enough
> to make me shy. I've used an easy technique to reduce vibration on panels. Self adhesive
> weatherstrip can be attached in the middle of large expanses of the fairing. Another idea, would
> be to form some rigid strips from wood or plastic or aluminum and attach them to the fairing via
> the foam strips to hold the fairing's shape.
>
> later,rorschandt

Ever see that commercial where the guy is always comparing himself to his next-door neighbor? (He's
got a truck, I've got a bigger one, he's got a family, I've got a bigger one....) Well this morning
I showed up at the local club ride thinking I'm hot stuff with my Windwrap fairing and
low-resistance Stelvio tires, only to meet a guy with a Lightning F-40, complete with nosecone and
full body sock fairing. He calls it his "wedgie killer". This bike is SCARY FAST on the flats,
insanely fast down hills, and even a half-decent climber, due mostly to all the energy he's saved by
not having to work very hard on the flats or into head winds. He said that cross winds can screw him
up when they're directly from the side, but that a 3/4 crosswind can actually be helpful, helping
him sail effortlessly like a sailboat tacking into the wind.

As for me, the jury is still out on the benefits of my Windwrap fairing. Later this week I'll take
it out on some of my regular exercise loops and see how my average speed compares. My overall
average on this 55 mile ride was 16.5 MPH (1/3 of the ride with the peloton and 2/3 just the F-40
and me, since I stopped to help him fix flats 3 times). Frankly, with the exception of some
crosswinds, drafting an F-40 just isn't as profitable as drafting 4 or 5 DF riders. For me, 16.5 is
a respecatble number, but I've done 17.0 by myself on a 36 miler with touring tires and no fairing.
But wind conditions have a lot to do with it (my overall average speeds tend to be higher with calm
winds), as well as training and even how I'm feeling any given day (I can sympathize with Lance on
the early days of this years' TdF.)

So, I'm still not convinced the bubble fairing is doing me any measurable amount of good. Coroplast
tail fairing will be my next project.

Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB, OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

"Bill Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just got the Mueller Windwrap fairing for my R-40 the other day, and thought I'd post some of my
> initial impressions of this product, and open up a new thread for comments.
>
> First off, it came as a surprise to me that the fairing came rolled up! From the pictures I had
> seen in catalogs and the 'net, and having seen "Lexan" only in a rigid form, I expected that this
> fairing would also be rigid, like a motorcycle fairing/windshield. On my first ride around the
> block, I wasn't too impressed: our neighborhood streets around here are paved with such a rough
> surface that the fairing writhes and shakes like Jell-O out of its mold. The fact that this
> fairing mounts to the front derailleur tube (way out front on the boom) means that the vibrations
> are amplified by the time they get to the fairing mounts. So even when it's adjusted perfectly,
> the vibrations can still cause occasional shoe-fairing contact. It has a tilt-forward feature for
> mounting / dismounting, and I have found that on rough pavement the fairing starts swinging
> forward on its own accord--I'm continually pulling it back down against its adjustable stop. So I
> continued riding the bike around the neighborhood 'till I got everything adjusted just right.
>
> This morning I took the bike out at sunrise for a quick 14 miles. Before beginning I checked to
> make sure the 6 nylon bolts and nuts were secure (but plastic screws can only take so much
> torque). Half way through the ride I noticed that one of those nylon bolts was gone! The thing
> just vibrated right out: nut, bolt, and 2 of the 4 washers gone. So I double-checked the remaining
> 5 fasteners and finished the ride. Fortunately the local Lowe's hardware has a nice selection of
> nylon fasteners. I went back and put some clear RTV on all the bolt threads to (hopefully) prevent
> any more bolts from backing out. (I'm pretty sure Loc-tite only works on metal bolts.)
>
> So here's my overall initial impressions of this fairing: (1) the bike doesn't feel any faster
> yet, though I have yet to try it against the 25 MPH headwinds that are common around here in the
> afternoons, (2) It seems to work best on smooth roads, (3) Vision/Mueller are very proud of this
> fairing--at $450 (fairing + mounts + shipping) it's nearly half the cost of a new R-40, (4) it
> seems that a fairing doubles the head-turning factor in bystanders, especially kids (Mom! Quick!
> Look at THAT bike! That's PHAT!) and (5) I'll probably appreciate this fairing more in February
> when its helping me to stay warm.
>
> Tomorrow morning I hope to find out how the fairing changes handling and performance in a pace
> line. These are the same bunch of hammerheads that dropped me two weeks ago. Nothing like a little
> friendly competition to raise my power output :)
>
> Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB, OSS, Fairing Lubbock, TX, USA

I debated buying that same fairing for my Vision R50, instead I bought an Optima Baron which is far
more aerodynamic.

If you want a bit of speed increase put on a tailbox. Fairings on SWB bikes don't add much speed
like they do on LWB bikes like the RANS and easyracers

On 1-Aug-2003, [email protected] (Bill Anton) wrote:

> Just got the Mueller Windwrap fairing for my R-40 the other day, and thought I'd post some of my
> initial impressions of this product, and open up a new thread for comments.

Hey Bill, I have had one on my R44 for 4 years. I use a bungie on the crossbar to the boom to hold
it down as you have found out at about 18MPH it will raise itself on its generated lift. Mine sounds
like a trash can got kicked over a bump and has in fact scared some riders i was coming up on from
behind. It once caused a small boy out with his family to fall, much to my dismay. It seems to make
a 1 MPH difference at about 16 MPH to me, as i have had it off and on several times. I notice that
the bike will generate a higher top speed on the same downhill with the fairing on, compared to off.
To me the fairing is a big help in cold weather here in PA. you will find in wet weather that you
may be all impressed with yourself about how dry you are... that is until you go over a bump and all
the water bounces up off the fairing and your forward momentum carries you into a suspended puddle

All in all i think it is a benifit, but it is difficult to carry as a loaded tourer [ on the train
] with the fairing on so i tend to leave it at home where we do train out and ride back on the
bike type of tours. This summer my son and i went to Montreal on the train and rode to bike back
through N.Y.

Thought i would share my observations as i usually do not post as much as others and when i do i
tend to come across wrong...

Regards Daniel in S.E Pa, USA

[email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> If you want a bit of speed increase put on a tailbox. Fairings on SWB bikes don't add much speed
> like they do on LWB bikes like the RANS and easyracers

I'm building my prototype today. :) Since I already have a rear luggage rack, I'm using that as a
mounting base. The tailbox will go right up to the seat frame but not attach to the seat. I also
hope to make it easily removable.

Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB, OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

"Daniel Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> you will find in wet weather that you may be all impressed with yourself about how dry you are...
> that is until you go over a bump and all the water bounces up off the fairing and your forward
> momentum carries you into a suspended puddle

Now THAT's a hilarious picture! Like something that would happen to Wile E. Coyote, except with his
luck the droplets would be nitro glycerin.

My prototype tailbox is almost finished now (except for putting Velcro to close the lid), and I hope
to evaluate tomorrow (Tues.) how well fairing and tail box work together by riding my regular
37-mile exercise loop. If I can get 18 MPH average I'll be pleased.

If I sound a little disappointed, it's because this thing was pretty expensive compared to what it
does. The Hostel Shoppe web site says this fairing kit is "Highly recommended." Well, I guess maybe
up there on the Wisconsin "tundra," a fairing is recommended because it prevents frostbite, but here
in Texas that's only an issue for maybe 6 weeks every winter.

Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB, OSS Lubbock, TX, USA