The 'Bike Cost' Thread

hippy

Sep 5, 2003
Spurred on by the '$2000 bike forum' post, use this to list your bikes
and how much they cost...

Peugeot Road/Race ~$3200 (used frame, new parts)
PlanetX Zebdi Trials $1600 (new frame, used parts)
Avanti Montari FX $900 (plus double that on many subsequent mods) (new)
Apollo $70 (with a $60 computer!) (used)
NotAGibson Track $500 (used)
"Vegemite" Street Fix 6-pack beer for frame, $600 (and still going) for parts
GT Talera (MTB->Trials->singlespeed) $300 (used)
Skansen Road/Race (first race bike) $100 (used, since sold)
Speedwell BMX $gift (new, since donated)

All these prices are in aussie dollars.. so not as expensive as you think! :)
The SS GT probably gets the most use and it was only $300 because it was
showroom condition.. now it'd be lucky to get $50! :)

hippy

hippy said:
Spurred on by the '$2000 bike forum' post, use this to list your bikes
and how much they cost...

Peugeot Road/Race ~$3200 (used frame, new parts)
PlanetX Zebdi Trials $1600 (new frame, used parts)
Avanti Montari FX $900 (plus double that on many subsequent mods) (new)
Apollo $70 (with a $60 computer!) (used)
NotAGibson Track $500 (used)
"Vegemite" Street Fix 6-pack beer for frame, $600 (and still going) for parts
GT Talera (MTB->Trials->singlespeed) $300 (used)
Skansen Road/Race (first race bike) $100 (used, since sold)
Speedwell BMX $gift (new, since donated)

All these prices are in aussie dollars.. so not as expensive as you think! :)
The SS GT probably gets the most use and it was only $300 because it was
showroom condition.. now it'd be lucky to get $50! :)

hippy

:eek: WOW! :eek: Wanna donate one!

I'm selling the Zebdi, I sold the Skansen a while back and I donated my
prized BMX to a special school..

Where's your bike/price list? It can be a beater that cost you a beer..
anything, I just want to see how much people spend on their bikes and
maybe which is their favourite one.

Does high price always equal best? I don't think so. My SS rocks even
though most people would consider it a piece of junk. :)

hippy

Hippy...here is my `list`

#1 Anchor Ra-5 ¥180000 (my racer)
#2 Trek 4100 Disc ¥35000 (used POS)
#3 No name `Mama Charie` grocery getter/single speed racer - free from the drunk bum down the road.

*note ¥10000 = $100US (move the decimal two places left for an approximate)

If only I weren`t a poor EngRish teacher...

e

I race and train on a TCR Composite (with a chorus group not shitmano) cost was about $1,700 :)

cheers

Schwinn 27in 10 Speed 1979 CONTINENTAL II ( Collectable ( I hope ))
Cost about $35 used ( cost about $200 new in 1979 )
then new seat $25
cables $15
so far put 3 tires and tubes on it
had it for about 6 years so far
adding new rims soon

I know nothing compaired to some of your alls :)

My new ride (new last year, although I had been collecting its parts for a year before it got built): LOOK KG381i Team CSC, DA9. $3000US.

My old ride: Trek 1400 from 1992. Might have been around $800 new at the time. Mix of stuff on it right now: Shimano 105 7sp with 8sp 105 STI shifters on it (works fine). New saddle, pedals, wheels. May sell this, to feed the addiction that goes into the above ride. :D I need a TT bike and a track bike too. :rolleyes:

I sold them all between '98-'00, but here was my list at the peak of when I was racing and worked in a shop.

GT Edge (Excell chromo frame - custom built and painted for me) with Dura Ace shifters and derailleurs and everything else aftermarket, ti, and light - priced out at $4,300

Colnago Master Chrono TT (custom from Italy TT frame) - Dura Ace shifters and derraileurs, Spinergy's, everything else aftermerket, ti, light - priced out at $4,500

Colnago Technos with full Campy Chorus and a few light goodies - priced out at $3,200

GT Edge Aluminum with mixed bag of Dura Ace and Ultegra and aftermarket stuff - priced out at $3,000

Fuji Team chromo with mixed bag of 105 and Ultegra (down tube) with a Spin wheel - beater bike for bad weather - priced out at $1,200

That was my road collection, then I had:

Giant ATX 890 Aluminum, Rock Shox judy's, XTR derraileurs/shifters, everything else aftermarket, ti, light weight - priced out at $3,000

Dyno Slammer freestyle bike - stock - priced at $600

Like I said, I sold them all when I got out of cycling in '98 ........... Now I "just" have my Torrelli Countach OS (Columbus Brain tubing) with mix of 105/Ultegra 9 - speed I put together last year. Frame retailed for $1,200, so I would put the bike at about $1,800 - $2,000 until I get my Dura Ace wheel set built up (still waiting to buy the rear hub).

Ouch, do we have to total up the cost?

Trek Y-Foil, with Campy Chorus/Record group, RAM bars, etc. Bought as a bare frame and built up with new group, Rolf and Campy wheelsets, I probably ended up putting $2.5k into it.

Cannondale tandem for myself and the spouse. Early 90's model, 7 spd in the back, but still rides great. $1k.

Trek Y22 MTB. Just about every component was worn out and ended up being replaced, my lesson in the dangers of buying a used MTB. Probably tied up $1k over the course of 2 years.

early 70's Falcon San Remo 76. Reynolds 531 butted, all Campy NR, all original. Paid $500 for it, haven't changed a thing, the old Campy components still work to perfection. The frame rides smooth as silk without being overly flexy, British frame builders at their best.

And I'm still looking for a Lotus 110 frameset...

>Daremo
>I sold them all between '98-'00, but here was my list at the peak of when I >was racing and worked in a shop.

Wow that was an impressive list! It looks like I have to go and get a job
in a bike shop!!! :)

But they were mostly road bikes - people say I can't ride all my bikes, but most of mine are for different purposes - what was the reason for so many
roadies?
Did you just get good deals and 'had to have them' or maybe ride a different
one each day of the week? Maybe race bike, shop bike, commuter, cruiser? :)

hippy

TechJD said:
Schwinn 27in 10 Speed 1979 CONTINENTAL II ( Collectable ( I hope ))
Cost about $35 used ( cost about $200 new in 1979 )
then new seat $25
cables $15
so far put 3 tires and tubes on it
had it for about 6 years so far
adding new rims soon

I know nothing compaired to some of your alls :)

I want to see a pic of your ride, sounds awesome!

Oh and...
1988 Centruion Ironman,Tange #1 lugged steel...paid $150 for frame, steering and brakes assemblies, wheelsets, cassette, and downtube shifters (Shimano 600). Still aquiring (spending $$$) to aquire the rest of the components. I'll update the price when it's all together.

Mt. Shasta (year unknown) mtb ~$350
beat to hell now and trying to sell it.

GT Fueler (year unknown) $75 used SWEET chrome BMX that I'm trying to sell.

I really need some advice. I have a Felt S22 tri bike that I purchased about 9 months ago. I took it in for a prerace tune up this week, and was shocked to receive a call from my mechanic telling me my new, expensive bike was trashed because of a small dent in the top tube. He told me it was structurally unsound and, thus, unsafe to ride. The tube itself is not bent; there is a just a dent on the side where I fell. The top tube actually hit my carbon fiber prosthetic socket. I am a disabled athlete -- and a member of the US paralympic triathlon development team. I scratched from a BIG race this weekend because of the advice of my mechanic. Now I am doubting his advice. I can't afford another racing bike! Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

nothing againt your mechanic but I'd get a second opinion
I seen a lot of bike shops take advange of people that they think has money
and if it's a racer then you have to have $$$ if ya know what I mean

cantact the maker also maybe send them a pic of the ding maybe they can give ya some ideas as to how sound it may or may not be

Hi TechJD.
I appreciate your thoughts and wisdom. I am taking my bike to another shop today. I also sent an email to Felt to see what they think. It's difficult to believe that a shop at which I spent thousands would try to bilk me for even more. But.....that is what it's looking like.

Well, before anyone jumps to the conclusion, I think it's always a good idea to try and eliminate "honest error". We ALL make mistakes in our judgement, professional and otherwise. Get the second opinion and then go in and talk with the original mechanic and/or shop owner. Maybe they have a technical misunderstanding of materials etc.

Or as my dad always used to say, "Never subscribe to malice what can be explained by mere stupidity."

But they were mostly road bikes - people say I can't ride all my bikes, but most of mine are for different purposes - what was the reason for so many roadies?
Did you just get good deals and 'had to have them' or maybe ride a different
one each day of the week? Maybe race bike, shop bike, commuter, cruiser? :)

hippy

I was a Cat. 3 racer.

The chromo Edge was my "light" bike that I did most of my racing on. The aluminum Edge was a sponsor frame for my team that I rode for a season, same with the chromo Fuji Team. I sold the alum. Edge first because I hated riding aluminum (I paid for all the parts - got them all at cost at least). I sold the components off the Fuji, then built it up with beater parts and rode it in crappy weather. The Master Chrono was a TT specific bike, and only used for some training and time trials. The Technos I used for most of my training, with occasional jaunts on the other bikes. Colnagos just ride like a dream ...... was totally the best thing to train on (plus it was about 1.5 pounds heavier than the Edge racing bikes).

Mountain bike was for fun, almost never rode it, and the freestyle bike was for cruising on campus between classes, and making a fool of myself trying to do flat land stuff.

I bought everything at wholesale cost, or even better as "employee purchase" directly from the manufacturer's. Plus I convinced both the Fuji rep and the GT rep to sponsor my team that I created for one year each. Fuji gave five of us complete bikes, GT gave us frames. I DID by the Edge chromo custom frame, that was not a sponsor frame, the aluminum was the sponsor one.

There's no such thing as 'too many bikes', there is only 'garage too small'.

Avanti Triplo w Aero bars ...$1200
Stinger XC-100 ...$300
Specialized Sirrus Sport w Aero bars ...$1100
Peugeot PH501 ...$80
Specialized Allez Comp Ultegra w/FSA Carbon Compact Crank ...$2400
Trek 7400 8 speed hub gear ...$930
Specialized RockHopper Comp ...$1200

Bloddy 'ell! I've got seven bikes... how did that happen?