The bike from latest Aldi catalouge?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Deep Freud Moors, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. Mal P <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Howdy,
    >
    > I saw the following bicycle available at Aldi (cheapo German grocery
    > store):

    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:vrlY9arXb1EJ:www.aldi.com.au/surpris
    e_buys.php+aldi+bike&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    > It seems to have Shimano gears, front suspension etc, and if I fix a
    > comfortable seat on the thing, anyone reckon it'll work ok for a bit
    > of casual riding? Around the footpaths of Canberra, so not exactly
    > rugged terrain.
    >
    > My budget was under $500 for a bike, and if this one's decent, heck,
    > save a bit of cash!

    Yep, looks like a decent bike, because that is what it's imitating.
    Unfortunately the components are all VERY cheap and crappy. Despite
    Shimano's popularity and cool sounding name, they make some completely shite
    components. You will find that nothing works all that well on it, and things
    don't fit as well as they should. China is currently pumping out millions of
    very cheap bikes at the moment like this one, and stores like Aldi and
    K-Mart are full of them.

    You would be much better off buying a second hand bike. Don't fall for the
    trap of saving $300 only to get something that you don't ever want to ride
    because it's so crappy.
    ---
    DFM

    Tags:

  2. > > You would be much better off buying a second hand bike. Don't fall for
    the
    > > trap of saving $300 only to get something that you don't ever want to

    ride
    > > because it's so crappy.

    > Any reccommendations on decent bikes under $500?

    Well, if you want something cheapish and functional, Shoguns and the like
    are not a bad bet. They are good because parts are cheap and available, and
    they will tolerate a reasonable amount of abuse. I don't know how much they
    go for new, but you could get something pretty good second hand.

    I wouldn't bother getting shocks for that price. You have to spend a fair
    bit before shocks are worthwhile. And don't ever buy a bike with calliper
    brakes and steel rims!! Happy trails!
    ---
    DFM

  3. Mal P

    Mal P Guest

    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...au/surprise_buys.php+aldi+bike&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    It seems to have Shimano gears, front suspension etc, and if I fix a
    comfortable seat on the thing, anyone reckon it'll work ok for a bit
    of casual riding? Around the footpaths of Canberra, so not exactly
    rugged terrain.

    My budget was under $500 for a bike, and if this one's decent, heck,
    save a bit of cash!

    Thanks,
    Mal

  4. Cletus75

    Cletus75 Guest

    Mal P wrote:
    > Howdy,
    > I saw the following bicycle available at Aldi (cheapo German
    > grocery store):
    > http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:vrlY9arXb1EJ:www.aldi.com.au/su-
    > rprise_buys.php+aldi+bike&hl-[/url]"]http://www.google.com.au/search?q=-
    > cache:vrlY9arXb1EJ:]www.aldi.com.au/surprise_buys.php+aldi+bike&hl-[/ur-
    > l] =en&ie=UTF-8
    > It seems to have Shimano gears, front suspension etc, and if I fix a
    > comfortable seat on the thing, anyone reckon it'll work ok for a bit
    > of casual riding? Around the footpaths of Canberra, so not exactly
    > rugged terrain.
    > My budget was under $500 for a bike, and if this one's decent, heck,
    > save a bit of cash!
    > Thanks, Mal

    Hi Mal, That link doesn't appear to be working. But you can find heaps
    of half-decent bash-around bikes for around the $500 mark. Particularly
    if you look through the Malvern Stars and Shoguns at your LBS. Be wary
    of nasty forks though - as a mate warned me when I was first looking at
    MTBs - "Better to have no suspension than cheap suspension". I didn't
    really understand that until I took my brother-in-laws $100 Huffy around
    the block recently. The thing just bounces all over the place, it's
    ridiculous how much power I was losing through the suspension! ;)

  5. Mal P

    Mal P Guest

    > Yep, looks like a decent bike, because that is what it's imitating.
    > Unfortunately the components are all VERY cheap and crappy. Despite
    > Shimano's popularity and cool sounding name, they make some completely

    shite
    > components. You will find that nothing works all that well on it, and

    things
    > don't fit as well as they should. China is currently pumping out millions

    of
    > very cheap bikes at the moment like this one, and stores like Aldi and
    > K-Mart are full of them.

    Thanks, looks like it's something to be avoided!

    > You would be much better off buying a second hand bike. Don't fall for the
    > trap of saving $300 only to get something that you don't ever want to ride
    > because it's so crappy.

    Any reccommendations on decent bikes under $500?

    Sincerely,
    Mal

  6. Mal P

    Mal P Guest

    > Hi Mal, That link doesn't appear to be working.

    Aye, it's a google cache thing :-( The first link on the following has it,
    you will have to click on the "Cached" google link to get to it as the page
    was changed.

    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=aldi+bike&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=cr=countryAU

    > But you can find heaps
    > of half-decent bash-around bikes for around the $500 mark. Particularly
    > if you look through the Malvern Stars and Shoguns at your LBS. Be wary
    > of nasty forks though - as a mate warned me when I was first looking at
    > MTBs - "Better to have no suspension than cheap suspension". I didn't
    > really understand that until I took my brother-in-laws $100 Huffy around
    > the block recently. The thing just bounces all over the place, it's
    > ridiculous how much power I was losing through the suspension! ;)

    Malvern and Shoguns - I'll check them out!

    Thanks,
    Mal

  7. Al User

    Al User Guest