The bike from latest Aldi catalouge?

Deep Freud Moors

Guest
Mal P <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy,
>
> I saw the following bicycle available at Aldi (cheapo German grocery
> store):

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:vrlY9arXb1EJ:www.aldi.com.au/surpris
e_buys.php+aldi+bike&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

> It seems to have Shimano gears, front suspension etc, and if I fix a
> comfortable seat on the thing, anyone reckon it'll work ok for a bit
> of casual riding? Around the footpaths of Canberra, so not exactly
> rugged terrain.
>
> My budget was under $500 for a bike, and if this one's decent, heck,
> save a bit of cash!

Yep, looks like a decent bike, because that is what it's imitating.
Unfortunately the components are all VERY cheap and crappy. Despite
Shimano's popularity and cool sounding name, they make some completely shite
components. You will find that nothing works all that well on it, and things
don't fit as well as they should. China is currently pumping out millions of
very cheap bikes at the moment like this one, and stores like Aldi and
K-Mart are full of them.

You would be much better off buying a second hand bike. Don't fall for the
trap of saving $300 only to get something that you don't ever want to ride
because it's so crappy.
---
DFM

> > You would be much better off buying a second hand bike. Don't fall for
the
> > trap of saving $300 only to get something that you don't ever want to

ride
> > because it's so crappy.

> Any reccommendations on decent bikes under $500?

Well, if you want something cheapish and functional, Shoguns and the like
are not a bad bet. They are good because parts are cheap and available, and
they will tolerate a reasonable amount of abuse. I don't know how much they
go for new, but you could get something pretty good second hand.

I wouldn't bother getting shocks for that price. You have to spend a fair
bit before shocks are worthwhile. And don't ever buy a bike with calliper
brakes and steel rims!! Happy trails!
---
DFM

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...au/surprise_buys.php+aldi+bike&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

It seems to have Shimano gears, front suspension etc, and if I fix a
comfortable seat on the thing, anyone reckon it'll work ok for a bit
of casual riding? Around the footpaths of Canberra, so not exactly
rugged terrain.

My budget was under $500 for a bike, and if this one's decent, heck,
save a bit of cash!

Thanks,
Mal

Mal P wrote:
> Howdy,
> I saw the following bicycle available at Aldi (cheapo German
> grocery store):
> http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:vrlY9arXb1EJ:www.aldi.com.au/su-
> rprise_buys.php+aldi+bike&hl-[/url]"]http://www.google.com.au/search?q=-
> cache:vrlY9arXb1EJ:]www.aldi.com.au/surprise_buys.php+aldi+bike&hl-[/ur-
> l] =en&ie=UTF-8
> It seems to have Shimano gears, front suspension etc, and if I fix a
> comfortable seat on the thing, anyone reckon it'll work ok for a bit
> of casual riding? Around the footpaths of Canberra, so not exactly
> rugged terrain.
> My budget was under $500 for a bike, and if this one's decent, heck,
> save a bit of cash!
> Thanks, Mal

Hi Mal, That link doesn't appear to be working. But you can find heaps
of half-decent bash-around bikes for around the $500 mark. Particularly
if you look through the Malvern Stars and Shoguns at your LBS. Be wary
of nasty forks though - as a mate warned me when I was first looking at
MTBs - "Better to have no suspension than cheap suspension". I didn't
really understand that until I took my brother-in-laws $100 Huffy around
the block recently. The thing just bounces all over the place, it's
ridiculous how much power I was losing through the suspension! ;)

> Yep, looks like a decent bike, because that is what it's imitating.
> Unfortunately the components are all VERY cheap and crappy. Despite
> Shimano's popularity and cool sounding name, they make some completely

shite
> components. You will find that nothing works all that well on it, and

things
> don't fit as well as they should. China is currently pumping out millions

of
> very cheap bikes at the moment like this one, and stores like Aldi and
> K-Mart are full of them.

Thanks, looks like it's something to be avoided!

> You would be much better off buying a second hand bike. Don't fall for the
> trap of saving $300 only to get something that you don't ever want to ride
> because it's so crappy.

Any reccommendations on decent bikes under $500?

Sincerely,
Mal

> Hi Mal, That link doesn't appear to be working.

Aye, it's a google cache thing :-( The first link on the following has it,
you will have to click on the "Cached" google link to get to it as the page
was changed.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=aldi+bike&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=cr=countryAU

> But you can find heaps
> of half-decent bash-around bikes for around the $500 mark. Particularly
> if you look through the Malvern Stars and Shoguns at your LBS. Be wary
> of nasty forks though - as a mate warned me when I was first looking at
> MTBs - "Better to have no suspension than cheap suspension". I didn't
> really understand that until I took my brother-in-laws $100 Huffy around
> the block recently. The thing just bounces all over the place, it's
> ridiculous how much power I was losing through the suspension! ;)

Malvern and Shoguns - I'll check them out!

Thanks,
Mal

THANKS FOR THAT PIECE OF INFO
news:[email protected]...