The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down

In article <[email protected]>,
"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Would you consider a Yugo to be a valid car purchase?
>
> Pete

Only if it comes with the rear window defroster. That way your hands will be warm when you're
pushing it.

--
tanx, Howard

"I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my lips!" Homer Simpson

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

I'm a Seattle area resident who has never been to the Bikesmith. I've lived here 14 years. I've been
meaning to go but haven't made it. I guess I missed my chance. The shops closer to my house are
"good enough". Good shops but not great shops. There isn't a shop in the country that carries the
kind of inventory I can get from my fingertips and without having to drive all over town (or phoning
and usually being put on interminable hold). I do more and more of my bike stuff shopping online not
so much because of price but because of convenience, especially when I know what I want. I've found
very knowledgable folks at Colorado Cyclist, Excel Sports, and others -- certainly more knowledgable
than the average sales person at a local shop.

gwhite wrote: -snip- the "raw material" of
> the deal could be the same from different vendors, but certain value-adds from one of the vendors
> will make apparent identical deals non-identical for those who can benefit from the value-adds.
> The task of the vendor is to make the value-add clear to potential customers so they can see that
> the "same price" does not necessarily mean equivalent "product." I have in mind things such as
> smiling friendly help, "free" bike fittings, better "free" advice, "liberal" return/exchange
> policies, and so on.
>
> I presume that given "equal price," most buyers will take the value-add sale if they are clear on
> the facts. Perhaps I am too optimistic. If the non-value-add price is lower than the value-add
> price then some buyers are likely to say they don't "need" the value-add. How many times has that
> happened?

Yes of course it happens all the time in many businesses. "I do not need the delivery, the warranty
or a receipt, knock off another $XX."

Publishers let you choose, $2.95 with return service or $2.35 without.

Heck, even buying flowers for my sales counter I'll take loose ones at the cart, (not an 'arranged'
bouquet) and no wrapper for a couple of bucks off.

"Eric M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Carl Fogel
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<YOURhoward-
> >[email protected]>...
> >>
> >> What do the contemporary trials bikes use (Gas-Gas, Beta, etc)? I can't tell from the pics,
> >> but it looks like they hang the engines and wrap a plate under it now. I'd assume no one
> >> puts the clutch lever underneath like that anymore.
> >
> >I haven't paid any real attention to modern trials machines, but I expect that you're right.
> >Using the transmission as the lower frame saves weight, increases ground clearance, and lowers
> >the center of mass.
>

> On the new bikes (since the late 70s or so) the skid plate is a somewhat stressed part of the
> frame. On the old bikes if the skid plate was not substantial the frame tubes eventually got
> smashed in. A skid plate substantial enough to prevent that was also good enough to entirely
> replace the lower frame cradle. This lets the designer move the engine down a little bit without
> reducing ground clearance. That lowers CG which makes low speed balance easier.
>
> My 76 Montesa 348 still has the frame tubes (but the clutch lever is on top of the engine), my '76
> Yamaha 250D has a skid plate that replaces the lower frame tubes but still has the clutch lever
> under the engine.
>
> Modern trials bikes (last 10 years) all have hydraulic clutches. The slave cylinder is either a
> tiny thing next to the countershaft sprocket or a tiny thing on top of the gearbox in the case of
> the Scorpa.
>
> >(Just how out of touch I am with modern machines was emphasized last summer when my ancient Honda
> >turned out to be older than the fellow who curiously asked what I was riding. "A Honda-saurus,"
> >his father explained before I could explain.)
>
> You should try a ride on a modern bike. They're a lot of fun.
>
> >Using the transmission as a frame member was not, however, a new idea. Miller's famous GOV 132
> >Ariel 500cc did it (possibly a Miller modification).
>
> It was his mod. He did the same on some of the Hondas he competed on. I beleive he also sold
> similar design frame kits for Ariels, Bultacos and Hondas (and probably others as well).
>

> Eric

Dear Eric,

I knew about Miller's Bultaco and Honda frame mods, but didn't know whether GOV 132 was that way
underneath from the factory--thanks.

And I didn't realize that the '76 Yamaha used a horrible under-transmission arm. Makes me glad that
I passed them up.

Am I right in thinking that these modern hydraulic clutch mechanisms offer smoother control for the
amazing acrobatics?

Carl Fogel

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > Are you serious that these "stupid" riders who saved money are taking "their life into their
> > hands on a commute with a bicycle that may or may not be assembled properly"?
> >
> > If so, how many people would you say are killed every year while commuting on bicycles
> > improperly assembled, either by local bike shops or chain stores?
> >
> > That is, if it's as stupid and dire and risky as you explicitly say it is to ride bicycles not
> > assembled in local bike shops, shouldn't there actually be some striking consequences?
> >

> It's not a matter of people being killed, or 'striking consequences', but rather a slow
> degradation of pleasure.
>
> A cheap bike, such as many of the bikes found in the dept stores, will offer worse braking, worse
> shifting, and a 'heavier' ride. Right out of the box. Wait a few weeks, and the braking/shifting
> gets worse. Condensation/rust in the cables, loose tolerances, a loose nut here and there all lead
> to "WTF is wrong with this thing?!?" Without significantly more maintenance, it degrades quickly.
> The owner gets to a state of not wanting to deal with the hassle of riding, because the 'bike' is
> fighting him at every squeak of the pedal.
>
> And so it sits in the garage. Maybe eventually left in a garage sale.
>
> Now, if you want to talk about the raw safety aspect, look at the stamped steel brake arrms, and
> chromed or painted rims in the rain. Or the forks assembled backwards. Or loose headset
> adjustment. Or brake levers at a bad angle. Or QR levers used as nuts, instead of locking arms.
> Little or no grease in the bearings. Poor design, welding and QC, leading to broken forks.
>
> All too common on the low end dept store bikes. Could all this be fixed? Sure. But should a buyer
> expect to tear down and rebuild a brand new bike completely to get it in a rideable state?
>
> Buying a bike does not have to be a multi-thousand dollar experience. But neither is it an $80
> experience.
>
> In 1981, I bought a $600 Fuji. Many tens of thousands of miles later, it's still going strong. How
> many $100 Huffy's would I have gone through in that same mileage? How many more hours of
> maintenance would I have done trying to get and keep all those bikes in a usable state?
>
> Would you consider a Yugo to be a valid car purchase?
>
> Pete (cue Ron Hardin, Huffy maven)

Dear Pete,

A Yugo? Thirty years ago when they were inexpensive? For a four-mile daily school commute? Linda's
Yugo worked fine at Colorado University in Boulder, but Steve hated to change its oil because it
took an enormous hex wrench.

Please don't misunderstand me (easy to do).

A prospective college student asked for advice on what bicycle to get for a 4-mile daily round trip.

If he rides a used bike from a garage sale or a $100 department store bike, I think that he'll be
fine. Millions and millions of people in Asia seem to do fine on rougher roads and cheaper bikes,
none of them assembled with loving care by Western local bike shops.

I don't think, despite dire and explicit warnings about shrubs tearing mis-installed quick-release
skewers off that the original poster will die a horrible death if he fails to pay more. And he'll
have $700 if various posters convince him that he needs to push it by hand to a local bike shop for
expert and detailed rehabilitation.

Hell, he may realize that bicycling bores him silly, never go on to join the club that he had in
mind, and find that girls are easier to meet when he walks or trots to school. (Most people in the
U.S. and U.K. don't commute by bicycle. The ones who do usually don't begin in college.)

If he bags it after seeing how it turns the lot of us into loonies, then he's about $700 ahead of
the game. If not, he can put $700 in the finest contraption that we can come up with and still have
a beater bike.

Here's an interesting page. It's almost ten years old, but it's as close as I could find to a
problem with improperly installed quick-release skewers:

http://www.swhlaw.com/cyclwin.htm

And remember, wild dangers were what some posters were warning us about at great length, apparently
quite seriously.

Do any accident, injury, or fatality statistics back up the claims that bicycles not purchased from
local bike shops are clear and present dangers?

Come to think of it, while all local bike shop owners and employees who post on rec.bicycles.tech
are infallible gods who invariably agree with each other, aren't there an awful lot of other local
bike shops routinely trashed here as being ignorant, incompetent, greedy, careless, and so forth?

(I forget--is there any agreement here about whether the retaining thingy is really needed for
safety on a fixed gear?)

For you in hindsight, spending more on a first commuting bike on a college student's budget makes
sense. But realistically, how many tires, tubes, chains, gears, and brake pads do you expect to wear
out pedalling twenty miles per week? What kind of expert maintenance is needed for what amounts to
no more biking than I did as a kid?

They actually roll along with rattly bearings, creaky pedals, loose chains, low tire pressures, and
the tiny noises that lead to long threads here. We just can't bear to admit it without a struggle.

It's a little like fishing. Fifty feet of line, a hook, and a worm will often do as well as a carbon
rod, hip-waders, and a tackle-box full of hand-tied flies, particularly when you're interested in
eating the fish, not size or catch and release or seeing how light a line you can use.

A four-mile round-trip college commute is hardly impossible or dangerous on an inexpensive bicycle
that costs less than the shoes and pedals for what most of us consider the bare essentials.

Carl Fogel

Rick Onanian wrote:
> Tangentially...what is a proper tip schedule for bike service?

I have no idea. My employees put up a Foster's can a few years ago and it fills pretty fast.

I've tended bar and waited tables but I don't expect tips wrenching, myself. YMMV

A Muzi wrote:
> Heck, even buying flowers for my sales counter I'll take loose ones at the cart, (not an
> 'arranged' bouquet) and no wrapper for a couple of bucks off.
>
> Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I've never been in a bike shop that had flowers on the sales counter. I hope you send your web
customers some virtual flowers as well.

In article <[email protected]>,
Pete <[email protected]> wrote:
> Buying a bike does not have to be a multi-thousand dollar experience [...]

> In 1981, I bought a $600 Fuji

What multiple of your hourly wage was that? Now, twenty three years later, how many dollars
would you earn in that time? I respectfully suggest that _was_ a multi-thousand dollar
experience, 2004-style.

ian

"Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Pete <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Buying a bike does not have to be a multi-thousand dollar experience
[...]
> > In 1981, I bought a $600 Fuji
>
> What multiple of your hourly wage was that? Now, twenty three years later, how many dollars
> would you earn in that time? I respectfully suggest that _was_ a multi-thousand dollar
> experience, 2004-style.
>
> ian

There is some truth to that. But..in '81, a cheap dept store bike was probably just under $100.
Same as today.

In '99, I bought a $300 Specialized. Several thousand miles later, it, like the Fuji, is still
going strong.

Pete

On 27 Jan 2004 14:10:40 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel)
wrote:
>Incidentally, wouldn't you expect a commuter on pavement on an inexpensive bicycle to crash if he
>hit the brush hard enough to do that, whether the quick release opened or not?

His point was that the QR sticks out where nearly nothing else does, and could catch on brush that
would otherwise slide along the side of the bike. I imagine that your scenario is actually more
likely than the QR being released in such a situation; consider that the brush in question would
catch the QR at it's fulcrum, not at the end of the lever.

That said, I tend to agree with you that a 2-mile commuter would probably do fine with a cheapie
(used 10-speed or *Mart MTB).

>Are you serious that these "stupid" riders who saved money are taking "their life into their hands
>on a commute with a bicycle that may or may not be assembled properly"?

There's not much that we do that isn't taking our lives into our own hands; that phrase is
vernacularly [is that a word?] misapplied. While it currently means "you should be scared", it
oughtn't; it should mean that we're taking responsibility for our destiny, which should be a good
and comforting thing.

Pete wrote: :It's not a matter of people being killed, or 'striking consequences', but :rather a
slow degradation of pleasure.

Carl was responding to a post insisting that riders of such bikes would almost certainly die very
soon after buying such bikes.
--
Rick Onanian

"Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote

> A four-mile round-trip college commute is hardly impossible or dangerous on an inexpensive bicycle
> that costs less than the shoes and pedals for what most of us consider the bare essentials.

I wasn't suggesting a $700 bike. Any of the lower end bike shop bikes would serve well. And they can
be had for ~$250 out the door. A used bike, IF it is of reasonable quality, would serve well, if the
buyer knows what he's looking for.

There seem to be three aspects of bike buying. Quality, build, service. The last two can be altered
after the sale. A poorly built bike can be redone in your garage. But poor quality parts can only be
replaced. At a significant cost.

Pete

Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
> > In 1981, I bought a $600 Fuji
>
> What multiple of your hourly wage was that? Now, twenty three years later, how many dollars
> would you earn in that time? I respectfully suggest that _was_ a multi-thousand dollar
> experience, 2004-style.
>
> ian

According to the consumer price index

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/home.htm#tables

If you click on the Inflation Calculator, $600 in 1981 is equivalent to $1214 in 2003, at least in
the US. You can also play around with this calculator and query the historical price of gasoline to
see how cheap gasoline is in the US today.

Bill Putnam

"Pete" <[email protected]> writes:
> In '99, I bought a $300 Specialized. Several thousand miles later, it, like the Fuji, is still
> going strong.

Ditto. I got a Specialized Crossroads for about $300 in '94. About 15,000 miles later, it is still
going strong...

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: [email protected] PGP: finger [email protected] Web: www.colohan.com Phone:
(412)268-4751

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > [snip obviously worthless musings]
> >

> > > Dear R.F.,
> > >
> > > Your world sounds dreadfully dangerous.
> >
> > Wow. Got hyperbole?
> >
> > "My world" carries real risks which I choose to minimize. I would hope that rational adults
> > would think likewise.
> >
> > Were you, by chance, an earnest, amateur Shakespearian actor? Your "ham"-fisted attempts at over-
> > dramatization leads me to this imagination of you. Well, that and your sonnets to r.b.t regular-
> > posters.
> >
> > In any case, I'm curious as to why you would recommend a *Mart bike over a regular low-cost LBS
> > offering. Other than the small initial cost difference. Try and keep your over-blown rhetoric in
> > check, if you choose to reply.
>
> Dear R.F.
>
> I'm puzzled.

I think not. I think you are being intentionally obtuse in order to make your "bike-snob
bashing" point.

> What you snipped as "obviously worthless musings" from my post were merely what you had posted.
> (But possibly you meant to put the snip elsewhere?)

They are "obviously worthless" because you choose to read them, with careful qualifiers and all,
then trim said qualifiers and context in order to paint a picture. To greatly add drama where none
actually exists.

Since you are having fun at creating an image, it would do no good to explain to you that you are
mis-representing my writings.

> Even the part of my reply that you silently omitted about "Where do you bury all these blissfully
> ignorant, stupid people"

When you trim context and qualifiers, you can make anything sound dramatic, yes?

I could almost leave the complaint about snipping alone, but the irony is too good.

> Whose over-blown rhetoric are we trying to keep in check?

Yours, my dear Mr. Fogel. You do realize that by eliminating context and qualifiers, you are merely
being dishonest, right?

> Do you really fear that a quick-release skewer

If you had bothered to read what I had written (the obviously worthless stuff) you would have seen
that I consider the QR to be a visible emblem of the build quality of the bike. I don't know how
tight the stem bolts are. Or the brake lever bolts. Cable fixing bolts? Are they good enough? I
don't know.

Read that paragraph again, if you are still "puzzled."

Now, tell me the potential for danger isn't there. That it's "just as good, but at a lower price."

Your fixation upon the QR, even after I clarified, indicates a conscious effort on your part to
misrepresent my position on *Mart bikes.

> That is, if it's as stupid and dire and risky as you explicitly say it is to ride bicycles not
> assembled in local bike shops, shouldn't there actually be some striking consequences?

If you are going to continue to create strawmen, Mr. Fogel, I'll continue to point out your
intellectual dishonesty.

So, I will now state explicitly my position. You may now attempt to find contradiction in this with
previous writings, but you'll have to be very creative in your quoting.

1.) *Mart bikes may be good enough for some applications. Weekends around the neighborhood, or
strapped to the back of an RV for running around the campground, just for instance.

2.) *Mart bikes and LBS low-end new or used bikes do not differ much in price, on the scale of
bicycle prices.

3.) I am not advocating buying $800 worth of bicycle when a $100 used bike could suffice. In fact,
spending $800 for a 4-mile commute seems extravagant. Now, if the fellow gets into a bike club,
and begins riding with those folks, that $800 is probably still a lot, but hardly unreasonable.

4.) *Mart bikes and LBS bikes differ significantly in build and materials quality, just from casual
inspection AND from personal experience.

5.) There is a potential for injury from a poorly-assembled bike made from low-quality materials.
Ever had a brake cable fixing bolt come loose when you really needed to stop? Have a broken drive-
side spoke wrap into the cassette and provide a little drama? Ever seen a rear shock mount snap
after a rider wheelie-rides over a 4-inch curb? Ever turned your bars and have the bike continue
to go straight? No? Try it - adrenaline is fun. Add to this mix 2-ton automobiles and their brain-
dead drivers. Go ahead and tell me that there is no difference. (Since you seem fond of couching
everything in absolute terms.)

6.) Is a *Mart bike OK for a 4-mile commute? Maybe.

So I will ask you again - why, in light of the small difference in price, would you recommend
someone buy a *Mart bike over an LBS offering?

Seriously,

R.F. Jones.

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Pete wrote: :It's not a matter of people being killed, or 'striking consequences', but :rather a
> slow degradation of pleasure.
>
> Carl was responding to a post insisting that riders of such bikes would almost certainly die very
> soon after buying such bikes.

Which post would that be?

Carl has done a very good job at creating this image, but nowhere will you actually find
such a claim.

Regards,

R.F. Jones

[email protected] (Bill Putnam) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
> > > In 1981, I bought a $600 Fuji
> >
> > What multiple of your hourly wage was that? Now, twenty three years later, how many dollars
> > would you earn in that time? I respectfully suggest that _was_ a multi-thousand dollar
> > experience, 2004-style.
> >
> > ian
>
> According to the consumer price index
>
> http://www.bls.gov/cpi/home.htm#tables
>
> If you click on the Inflation Calculator, $600 in 1981 is equivalent to $1214 in 2003, at least in
> the US. You can also play around with this calculator and query the historical price of gasoline
> to see how cheap gasoline is in the US today.
>
> Bill Putnam

Dear Bill,

That's a fun little calculator. I added its direct address to my favorites pages:

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Thanks,

Carl Fogel

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > Are you serious that these "stupid" riders who saved money are taking "their life into their
> > hands on a commute with a bicycle that may or may not be assembled properly"?
> >
> > If so, how many people would you say are killed every year while commuting on bicycles
> > improperly assembled, either by local bike shops or chain stores?
> >
> > That is, if it's as stupid and dire and risky as you explicitly say it is to ride bicycles not
> > assembled in local bike shops, shouldn't there actually be some striking consequences?
> >

> It's not a matter of people being killed, or 'striking consequences', but rather a slow
> degradation of pleasure.
>
> A cheap bike, such as many of the bikes found in the dept stores, will offer worse braking, worse
> shifting, and a 'heavier' ride. Right out of the box. Wait a few weeks, and the braking/shifting
> gets worse. Condensation/rust in the cables, loose tolerances, a loose nut here and there all lead
> to "WTF is wrong with this thing?!?" Without significantly more maintenance, it degrades quickly.
> The owner gets to a state of not wanting to deal with the hassle of riding, because the 'bike' is
> fighting him at every squeak of the pedal.
>
> And so it sits in the garage. Maybe eventually left in a garage sale.
>
> Now, if you want to talk about the raw safety aspect, look at the stamped steel brake arrms, and
> chromed or painted rims in the rain. Or the forks assembled backwards. Or loose headset
> adjustment. Or brake levers at a bad angle. Or QR levers used as nuts, instead of locking arms.
> Little or no grease in the bearings. Poor design, welding and QC, leading to broken forks.
>
> All too common on the low end dept store bikes. Could all this be fixed? Sure. But should a buyer
> expect to tear down and rebuild a brand new bike completely to get it in a rideable state?
>
> Buying a bike does not have to be a multi-thousand dollar experience. But neither is it an $80
> experience.
>
> In 1981, I bought a $600 Fuji. Many tens of thousands of miles later, it's still going strong. How
> many $100 Huffy's would I have gone through in that same mileage? How many more hours of
> maintenance would I have done trying to get and keep all those bikes in a usable state?
>
> Would you consider a Yugo to be a valid car purchase?

Well, *someone* seems to have grasped my point. (Pay attention, Mr. Fogel.)

I did add that equipment failure in traffic is not desireable. I also pointed out that the "not
desireable" range of outcomes is not limited to a delay in getting to school.

As toys, I think these bikes are acceptable. As working, utilitarian machines, I think they are
wanting. In more ways than one.

R.F. Jones

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Would you consider a Yugo to be a valid car purchase?
>
> Dear Pete,
>
> A Yugo? Thirty years ago when they were inexpensive?

As opposed to now, when they are unavailable?

> For a four-mile daily school commute?

Clever.

> Linda's Yugo worked fine at Colorado University in Boulder, but Steve hated to change its oil
> because it took an enormous hex wrench.

Where is it now?

As with anything else that is low in cost, there were compromises with build quality and materials.
That's why you see very few of these beasts these days. IIRC, it was less than 20 years ago that
these beasts were first available in the U.S.

I'd bet that my first Audi quattro (1984 4000 model) is still puttering around out there somewhere.
I put over 100k miles on it myself. While the price difference between it and a new Yugo was huge, I
would suggest that there were actual, real differences between the capabilities and capacities of
the two vehicles.

> Please don't misunderstand me (easy to do).

It would be easier to understand you if you didn't feel the need to create strawmen to knock down.

> If he rides a used bike from a garage sale or a $100 department store bike, I think that he'll be
> fine. Millions and millions of people in Asia seem to do fine on rougher roads and cheaper bikes,
> none of them assembled with loving care by Western local bike shops.

I would suggest that you have very little actual knowledge about these Asian bikes and their
maintenance status.

> I don't think, despite dire and explicit warnings about shrubs tearing mis-installed quick-release
> skewers off that the original poster will die a horrible death if he fails to pay more. And he'll
> have $700 if various posters convince him that he needs to push it by hand to a local bike shop
> for expert and detailed rehabilitation.

100% hyperbole. For shame, Mr. Fogel.

> Hell, he may realize that bicycling bores him silly, never go on to join the club that he had in
> mind, and find that girls are easier to meet when he walks or trots to school.

Indeed. And, if he were to take my implied advice, he'd be out the $100 for a decent, used LBS bike.
How much less would he be out buying a *Mart bike, again?

> (Most people in the U.S. and U.K. don't commute by bicycle. The ones who do usually don't begin in
> college.)

At this college, and some of the others I have worked at previously, parking is scarce and
expensive, so commuting by bike is actually somewhat popular.

> If he bags it after seeing how it turns the lot of us into loonies, then he's about $700 ahead of
> the game.

If, of course, the choice is between *just* the *Mart bike and the $800 one. However, there are
other alternatives, and they have been pointed out.

> If not, he can put $700 in the finest contraption that we can come up with and still have a
> beater bike.

Or, he can have a higher-quality "beater" and still have $700. This game is fun - shall we play
some more?

> And remember, wild dangers were what some posters were warning us about at great length,
> apparently quite seriously.

It's fun to create strawmen, isn't it, Carl?

> Do any accident, injury, or fatality statistics back up the claims that bicycles not purchased
> from local bike shops are clear and present dangers?

Find a quote for that, si vous plait.

> Come to think of it, while all local bike shop owners and employees who post on rec.bicycles.tech
> are infallible gods who invariably agree with each other, aren't there an awful lot of other local
> bike shops routinely trashed here as being ignorant, incompetent, greedy, careless, and so forth?

Shameless hyperbolic rhetoric.

Are there any shades of gray in your world, or is everything black and white? I suppose, in the
computer world, "on" and "off" are the only settings that matter...

> For you in hindsight, spending more on a first commuting bike on a college student's budget makes
> sense. But realistically, how many tires, tubes, chains, gears, and brake pads do you expect to
> wear out pedalling twenty miles per week? What kind of expert maintenance is needed for what
> amounts to no more biking than I did as a kid?

If one only goes that far, then not much. Hell, the tires and brake pads would last damn
near forever.

They would on a used LBS bike, too. For the same money.

Now, if the person actually starts to ride the thing for pleasure, that $100 *Mart bike money might
have just as well been set on fire.

> They actually roll along with rattly bearings, creaky pedals, loose chains, low tire pressures,
> and the tiny noises that lead to long threads here. We just can't bear to admit it without a
> struggle.

Some do, and some don't. The bikes I have seen around colleges seem to be in relatively decent
shape. From casual inspection, of course.

If the choices were merely between a $100 *Mart bike and an $800 LBS offering, or if the *Mart bike
and the low-cost LBS offering were of exactly the same materials and build quality, then your point
would be well-made.

But they aren't. And it isn't.

> It's a little like fishing. Fifty feet of line, a hook, and a worm will often do as well as a
> carbon rod, hip-waders, and a tackle-box full of hand-tied flies, particularly when you're
> interested in eating the fish, not size or catch and release or seeing how light a line you
> can use.

Or like golf. When you pick up some used clubs at a garage sale, and take them out to a muni course
for a little afternoon fun with some pals, who cares? Ooops, that's *my* point. Sorry about that.

In every hobby, there are those who feel that if you don't have the lastest and greatest gear, or if
you aren't being served by the best professional in town, that you are rube in need of education.
Bicycling, golf, fishing, softball, tennis, shuffleboard, badminton, etc. etc.

> A four-mile round-trip college commute is hardly impossible or dangerous on an inexpensive bicycle
> that costs less than the shoes and pedals for what most of us consider the bare essentials.

And some of us would steer such a person to an LBS, and inform them that the used bikes are often
good deals. The fact that you vehemently object to this line of reasoning is strange.

Frivolously,

R.F. Jones

"Jonesy" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...
> I think not. I think you are being intentionally obtuse in order to make your "bike-snob
> bashing" point.

Well, someone had to do that !

Your thoughts lead to an imperative that bicycles bought for everyday use must meet "snob"
standards. Your imaginary cycling environment seems to be one where the rider is doing something so
very special when mounted on a bike. Here, it's not the case. They are for going to the grocer's, to
a friend's home, to taking care of chores. We expect (in Europe) that a bike serve these purposes as
basic transportation. So yes, Yugos are sound vehicles for their purposes, as are the X-mart (which
"Marts" are still around ?) bikes you revile. We expect our mass merchants to sell their bikes to
these standards, and they do. In the US, a bike is the first step in an upward progression to a car.
No maintenance is expected to be done ; no care is expected to be taken. They are disposable in that
environment.

> So I will ask you again - why, in light of the small difference in price, would you recommend
> someone buy a *Mart bike over an LBS offering?

There is seldom a really *small* difference in price. Buying power of large sellers result in lower
prices. Lower margin requirements lead to lower prices. As this group discusses racing (or so it
would appear...), your arguments sustain the elitist application of two-wheeled power over too broad
a spectrum of users. I am happier using my cheap Decathlon city bike for its purposes, and reserve
the racers for racing, training or cyclosportives.

I just wonder how much you might suggest we all spend for walking shoes ! I did see a store on a
recent trip to the States that catered to Walking shoes. Is the next chain going to be for Sitting
shoes ? for Gardening shoes ? for Kitchen shoes !?!?
--

Bonne route,

Sandy Paris FR