The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down

Zoot Katz wrote:

> Idealism rarely makes it to the bottom line.

I'd probably call it "cluelessness" rather than "idealism." That brings them up to one notch under
9-of-10 managers.

"[Businessmen are] notoriously ignorant of the most obvious principles [of economics]." --
David Ricardo

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:11:10 GMT, gecwhite
<[email protected]> wrote:

>jeffbonny wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:23:27 GMT, gecwhite <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >The Bikesmith could not figure out a model. It died.
>>
>> You might be wrong.
>
>But I'm not.

If you know this from personal dealings with Bikesmith I'll accept this statement. If you are saying
it from a distant posture of "that which is self evident" I'm callin' ********.

>> Maybe he did figger out a model and it did not leave enough of him in his shop to make it worth
>> his while.
>
>You pretty much said it all right there. His business model didn't match up with his personal
>needs. It died. Suppliers are only willing to sell for so little before they exit (or get
>pushed out by their creditors). What is left is both the more efficient and those accepting
>lower ROI or pay.

Agreed, if this was in fact the specific case. Been there. In the racket that I'm in now people who
will work for less are a big problem. They push wages down and more detrimentally they lower
standards. The lowest price ain't always the best deal.

jeffb

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:

> Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > On 24 Jan 2004 09:50:11 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
> > >But the integrated skid plate stopped short, leaving the clutch arm exposed underneath the
> > >motorcycle!
> > >
> > >True, extending the skid plate to protect the imbecile clutch arm underneath the engine would
> > >have required removing the whole engine from the frame just to replace a clutch cable, a bad
> > >idea in the shop and even worse in a muddy field.
> >
> > Maybe there's something I don't know about motorcycle skid plates, but couldn't that spot be
> > covered by a removable, bolted skid plate?
>
> Dear Rick,
>
> Not easily, not well, and not economically.
>
> Something about 400 pounds of rider and machine banging over three-foot logs just doesn't like cobbled-
> together rear skid-plate attachments. Things flex and even bend permanently down there.

(snip)

> When I replaced my fender armor in 1974, my down tubes were revealed and turned out to be badly
> dented. It's nice to have the extra strength of the transmission functioning as a frame member.
> (The contemporary Ossa machines lacked down tubes and relied on the gear case for the lower part
> of the frame--lighter, a bit more clearance, and so forth.)

What do the contemporary trials bikes use (Gas-Gas, Beta, etc)? I can't tell from the pics, but
it looks like they hang the engines and wrap a plate under it now. I'd assume no one puts the
clutch lever underneath like that anymore.

--
tanx, Howard

"I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my lips!" Homer Simpson

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:

> A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > -snip-
> >
> > Rick Onanian wrote:
> > > Or, for that matter, if the bike is used near the shoulder of the road, where brush, vines,
> > > and other vegetation can catch the skewer as well as they can on dirt.-snip-
> >

> > Although it seems logically possible, can anyone here recount an actual case of a skewer lever
> > opened by impact with stationary object? I can't.
>
> Dear Andrew,
>
> To be fair, the vast majority of quick-release levers are probably installed facing backward, so
> incidents would be few and far between.
>
> Alternatively, perhaps dead men tell no tales?

One other angle on this is the number of QRs that are not used as a quick release, but a wrench
to tighten the wheel on. You know, when someone spins the lever around and around until it
tightens up? I have seen this way more often than I'd like to. Sort of like those big-ass wing
nuts that cheap bikes came with in the seventies.

--

Carl Fogel wrote:
> In the bicycle business, do you find yourself wondering, like so many horrifed motorcycle
> mechanics, how the owner managed to keep riding it long enough to damage it so badly in so
> many places?
>
> Years ago, I stopped at a farmhouse and took a look
-snip sad litany-
> Do you get bicycles to repair in such advanced states of decay? Or do they just get dumpstered?

We occasionally see that sort of thing. She'll ask us to change a flat on her way to work. We'll
offer to put a cable in where there is none and she'll demur, "It's fine. I just need the tire
fixed". Brake work is a hard sell on that sort of bike. They'll often buy derailleur work before
connecting a brake.

Once in a while you'll see brakes with no pads. They get removed if the bent rim slows the guy down
too much. Since saddles on that sort of bike are always at the lowest point the rider just drags his
feet. Without complaint.

Or this one: http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/NIMGODA.JPG

He said it shifted when he stood up. It sure did. I brazed a small scrap of steel across the crack
and he went on his way. Little else worked but his ghost shift complaint was fixed.

[email protected] (Mark Stonich) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
> > When I replaced my fender armor in 1974, my down tubes were revealed and turned out to be badly
> > dented. It's nice to have the extra strength of the transmission functioning as a frame member.
> > (The contemporary Ossa machines lacked down tubes and relied on the gear case for the lower part
> > of the frame--lighter, a bit more clearance, and so forth.)
>
> The stock Ossa skid plate was fiberglass. The UMTA (Upper Midwest Trails Assn.) trials grounds
> were (are?) on a piece of land outside of Faribault MN that included an old limestone quarry. We
> rode over a lot more rocks than logs, and my Ossa bash plate lasted about a week. I bought a 1/4"
> thick aluminum Renthal plate, which lasted about a month. Then I bought two more and had them
> welded together. When I last saw the bike, 5 years after I sold it, this plate was still sound.

Dear Mark,

Ouch!

That's a good example of why Rick's sensible-sounding suggestion about adding an extra section of
removable skid plate under the ridiculous Montesa under-engine clutch arm would probably fail in
practice. Even solid wraparound metal plate fails--segmenting would likely fail much sooner.

But we can't complain. Patton had to order his desperate 3rd Army Sherman tankers to stop adding
logs, railroad ties, and sandbags to their inadequate front armor. The makeshift protection didn't
save them from the dreaded German anti-tank guns, and the strain of the enormous extra weight led to
engine and transmission problems.

Carl Fogel

-snip-

jeffbonny wrote:
> Agreed, if this was in fact the specific case. Been there. In the racket that I'm in now people
> who will work for less are a big problem. They push wages down and more detrimentally they lower
> standards. The lowest price ain't always the best deal.

Yes but that judgment is not pronounced by the _vendors_, it is decided by the consumers. And it's
comprised of many transactions, not a single judgment.

'Lower standards'? Maybe. Timex has no effect on Rolex whatsoever.

I date a convenience store manager who tells me she will sell half as much gasoline in a day when
she is 1c over the guy a block away. That is to say, some large number of people actually look at
the price of gasoline before buying. This stunned me, but then again I buy a tank every month or six
weeks and I could not tell you what it costs.

But I did recently spend over an hour negotiating a tire price between three vendors. The
range was 30c.

The very thought of paying over one hundred dollars for a mere bicycle is ludicrous to a good
many people.

Even here on RBT there are some who would rather diddle with a piece of allthread than tip the nice
mechanic after she pressed the head cups properly.

I'm OK with the guy who will work for less. (sometimes it is I!) Perhaps he is learning his trade.
Perhaps it's just a second job while he saves for a house. If your skills/speed/convenience/added
value are not worth more to your customer, perhaps it isn't _his_ rate that's out of line!

Markets often accommodate a wide range of prices to good effect because there are other factors,
as you note.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:02:21 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm OK with the guy who will work for less. (sometimes it is I!) Perhaps he is learning his trade.
>Perhaps it's just a second job while he saves for a house. If your skills/speed/convenience/added
>value are not worth more to your customer, perhaps it isn't _his_ rate that's out of line!

My point is that with the experience I have I CAN do a better job in less time in the bike shop or
anywhere else. A lot of what I do now has the very real and immediate potential to kill people if
not done right. While this may somewhat preclude an accurate comparison to fixing or selling a bike
it is true that someone who knows his business to the point of fanaticism is of value to those who
share his ethic for a job done well and even those who don't when he saves them money by a) not
selling **** or the wrong thing and b) not walking away from a job not done well.

Here is a visual example of my biz and what happens when by someone who may be "Perhaps... learning
his trade" is allowed to do a job he's not experienced enough to do well.
http://www.roadie.net/vegastruss.htm This was caused by a "customer" to whom the
"skills/speed/convenience/added value" of hiring a competent rigger were not "worth more". If this
guy were running a bike shop he'd be the guy who wouldn't spring to hire a good wheel builder but
would happily charge the going rate to the customer for a handbuilt wheel.

A major point of my argument is that the perception of savings is not always the way it works out to
be in the long run.

>Markets often accommodate a wide range of prices to good effect because there are other factors, as
>you note.

Yep, public ignorance not the least of them. I agree that not everyone needs a good bike shop all
the time but it's the ***** not have one when you do and if it means paying a buck more for brake
pads I think it's worth it.

jeffb

On 25 Jan 2004 11:05:37 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel)
wrote:

>Do you get bicycles to repair in such advanced states of decay? Or do they just get dumpstered?
>
>Carl Fogel

Ought to run sagwagon at some charity event that doesn't have a pre-event wrench inspection done.
You see some banged together, cable-frayed machine held together by rust that needs help at the 80
mile mark and you wonder about all the times that you've inspected your bike before you went on the
road and had something go wrong inside of 20 miles.

And you can usually get it safe enough to finish the ride, if that's what they want to do. I refused
to work on only one - I offered tools and advise or a ride back, but I didn't see how I could touch
the brakes without replacing cable and the only thing in my tool box was way too expensive to give
away (think it was high-grade longish tandem stuff that I had to order from Tandems East or some
such). What they had would snap before they would have adjusted.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Dear R.F. and Rick,
>
> Nope, I still suspect that the quick-release facing the wrong way would survive just fine on
> ordinary commuting.

While it might (I am granting you this), I would not risk my safety on such a beast. And I actually
know a small amount about the subject. Someone who doesn't know anything would be in blissful
ignorance until the wheel(s) came off.

> I see very little brush on paved roads, shoulder or otherwise. Of course, elsewhere you may need a
> machete to pedal down the asphalt road to the little red school house, so I'm open to correction.

In Corvallis, Oregon, some of the streets have shrubs that grow right up to the fog line. While I
never ran into the shrubberies for any reason, I could see it happening.

> As to correct pressure or tightness, nope again--no cheap semantic tricks (I have them available
> in a handsome selection if needed.)

I do believe you are seizing on a particular word to try and salvage your "good enough" argument.
Let me just state that while I do believe that it might be "tight enough" to get out of the store,
it might not stand up to much riding. Or it might. But that doesn't say anything about the rest of
the bike. And for commuting, when there are cars around, equipment failure could have dire
consequences.

> I honestly think that you'll get a wide variety of expert opinions here about "correct" tightness
> for almost any threaded object.

And a QR has a range larger than most, it would seem. Whether or not you grasp onto this straw in a
"gotcha" fashion or not, I would suggest that a mis-applied QR lever is symbolic of the build
quality of the rest of the bicycle. This does not even take into account the materials used.

> Browse around a bit on some manufacturers' wheel sites, for example, and you'll get values for
> spokes ranging from 120 to 350 pounds of tension recommended for spokes on a particular rim model.

And the various bolts on a bike usually have some sort of recommended torque range applied to them.
Jobst has said on numerous occasions that the rim is the limiting factor in spoke tension. Some rims
may actually take more tension than others. It seem pretty self-consistent to me.

But I would never recommend that someone take their life into their hands on a commute with a
bicycle that may or may not be assembled adequately. Saving $50 dollars seems really stupid.

> Right now, there's a thread about the retaining nut on fixed-gear axles that is provoking the
> usual range of proper torque suggestions, right down to omitting it entirely.

What do you expect on a .tech ng? That doesn't render my argument moot.

> Practically speaking, however, a quick-release skewer has to be awfully loose or awfully tight to
> either fall out or snap while cruising two miles to class and two miles back.

If Dr. Annan's self-unscrewing web link is to be believed (and I think it should), then if it's too
loose to start, it could become dangerously too loose over time, just due to vibration.

But I really *am* speak practically. This is a commuter, something that you want to be safe and
reliable. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend a *Mart bike after some of the shoddy
product/assembly I've seen. I just *do not believe* that these bikes even rate "good enough."

> Remember, we're human here and tend to be hard to please---a common failing among those of us with
> delusions of mechanical adequacy is that our friends should either a) tighten their damn [fill in
> the blank] properly, or b) not tighten their [fill in the blank] so damn tight.

My bike friends seem to know how to read torque specs, so there is rarely a discussion. Those that
"wing it", well, they ought to know the consequences of either extreme. The beginners I steer to
Zinn's books on maintenance. (Torque specs in the appendices, IIRC.)

Again, this is merely grasping at straws - *I* make no religion of fasteners and their application.

> If we voice our indisputably correct opinions on proper assembly often enough, eventually our
> exasperated friends remark that Jesus Christ couldn't tighten an axle to suit us, and we take the
> hint, stop complaining, and live in hopes that their foolish methods will lead to minor but
> embarrassing injuries, preferably in front of us.

Ad absurdum arguments aside, I couldn't, in good conscience, steer anyone I call a "friend" to the
*Mart bikes. I suspect that they could be "good enough" in some limited circumstances, but
commuting, no matter what the distance, would be better served by a bike that is assembled properly,
made with quality materials, and can hold adjustments even through use and abuse. Actually taking
the bike on a real trail, with dirt and rocks and roots, dips and logs and all that? That really
rules out any of the bikes one might find at a *Mart. In the end, my argument comes down to the
aphorism "penny wise, pound foolish."

Sincerely,

R.F. Jones

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 23 Jan 2004 10:20:16 -0800, [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:
> >Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Or, at a yard sale or charity store (Salvation Army) you can find the formerly ubiquitous 10-
> >> speed road bikes for $10 to $30, often requiring no repairs whatsoever, or maybe requiring two
> >> $6 WalMart 27" tires and $2 tubes. If you're observant, you will often find such bikes being
> >> thrown away on trash day: free.
> >
> >Ah, yes - good idea. *If* the purchaser has the tools needed for such
>
> Anybody who doesn't have the tools to change a tire is not going to get far. Even on a bike
> without a QR, the only tool required is a wrench

Tire levers. I know from personal experience that a couple of screwdrivers can really dork up
a wheel. :/

And the tube doesn't install itself. While it's not the biggest task ever, it does have a technique
which can make the task quite simple. Not following the technique can make it a very frustrating
experience for the beginner.

> >BTDT, walked away.
>
> What's "BTDT"?

No, not Twikky in the Buck Rogers series (mmmm, Erin Gray) but "been there, done that." (Sometimes
BTTS is included - "bought the T-shirt.")

> >As we speak, I have a friend's WalMart bike in my garage for some shifting issues. While I am
> >dreading the prospect of getting the thing to work acceptably, I am (not so) secretly smug about
> >the first
>
> It's not that terrible. Just be careful; the parts are made from cheap grades of metal. I fixed up
> a brand-new looking huffy rescued from a dumpster with a tacoed wheel; I broke a rivet on the
> front derailer and had to replace it with a nut and bolt. I don't think I was doing anything
> excessively stressful to it...I don't remember.

Large quantities of a malt BEvERage will do that. :)

It wasn't a hassle, but the mythical "cable stretch" that was the culprit. The ends of the rear
derailleur cable housings were cut so poorly that I'm not surprised by the result. The cable and
housing were too long anyway, so I "fixed" that. I figured since I had the tool out, I might as well
do the whole bike...

The more of these pieces of **** that I see, the less I agree with Carl's take on the subject.
Frankly, they look more like disposable toys than anything else.

With regards,

R.F. Jones

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >>[email protected] (Jonesy) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... -snip-
> -snip-
>
> > [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >>While it's horrifying to you and me to see a quick-release skewer with the lever turned
> >>backward, I have to admit that it would probably work just fine for years on the four-mile
> >>commute to school.-snip-
>
> Jonesy wrote: -snip- my example could be expanded to *any* fastener on
> > the bike, including very important stem and bar bolts, seatpost QR, crank bolts, etc., etc. And
> > if I were to take a wild guess as to which direction the QR is not tightened correctly, I'd
> > guess "too loose." Some of these bikes actually had cheap disk brake systems. Good enough for
> > commuting? Maybe.-snip-
>
> Carl makes a good point to which any service mechanic will attest. XMart bikes are indeed barely
> assembled.

I thought I was the one making that point - Carl's arguing a "good enough" stance.

> Brakes are marginal until the first season of lying in the back yard, after which the unlubricated
> brakes and cables rust solid, along with the chain.

If the bike is used as a daily commuter, by an adult, I would suspect a higher standard of care. If
it were merely a toy, I suspect that the treatment you describe would be accurate.

> If we raise the saddle to a comfortable riding height, lubricate the bolt and secure it, the
> customer returns it to the lowest point. Spoke tension is minimal. Saddles point south. None of
> his bothers the rider.

On a toy bike, I'm sure that's true. On a daily commuter, I would guess otherwise.

> Few if any riders die of these anomalies.

I don't think we have much information about equipment failure leading to rider injury. In the very
specialized case of disk brakes and standard DO forks, maybe. THe question remains - is it a risk
someone is willing to take? To save $50?

> The product suits the customer's expectations as well as anything - and sometimes better than bike
> shop bikes. Which is how these sell in large numbers year in and year out - even as our opinion of
> their quality slips lower. But nobody asked us.

Luckily, among my circle of friends and family, that's not entirely true. Since I have acquired the
"bike expert" monniker (laughs all around on that), I have warned all away from the *Mart bikes. In
an automobile culture, one must frame things in automobile terms.

"Sure, the Hyundai is cheaper. When was the last time you heard of a Honda stranding you in the
middle of nowhere?"

Regards,

R.F. Jones

[email protected] (Jonesy) writes:
> > As to correct pressure or tightness, nope again--no cheap semantic tricks (I have them available
> > in a handsome selection if needed.)
>
> I do believe you are seizing on a particular word to try and salvage your "good enough" argument.
> Let me just state that while I do believe that it might be "tight enough" to get out of the store,
> it might not stand up to much riding. Or it might. But that doesn't say anything about the rest of
> the bike. And for commuting, when there are cars around, equipment failure could have dire
> consequences.

Just to reinforce this point -- someone I knew in high school was killed by this. His chain broke
while riding up a hill, and he was hit by a truck as a result...

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: [email protected] PGP: finger [email protected] Web: www.colohan.com Phone:
(412)268-4751

jeffbonny wrote:

> A major point of my argument is that the perception of savings is not always the way it works out
> to be in the long run.

Well of course. The only important thing is that "it is what the seller says it is" and the price is
clear. That is pretty much what the buyer-seller contract entails.

I like to try "off-brand" ketchup since it is usually cheaper. If I perceive the quality of the off-
brand is good enough for the price, I continue to use it. If not, I decide to pay the premium for
the name-brand. I want the freedom to figure it out myself. My freedom of choice helps drive the
ketchup industry to be more efficient at producing good ketchup at low prices. The point is to
benefit consumers of ketchup, not suppliers of ketchup.

> >Markets often accommodate a wide range of prices to good effect because there are other factors,
> >as you note.
>
> Yep, public ignorance not the least of them.

People need to be responsible for themselves. People need the freedom to learn their own lessons.
That is the way the world works. If they get "closed" into buying "stuff" they didn't need, well
tough ****. Shielding people from the consequences of their own choices breeds defective culture.
Never mind "sustainable agriculture, sustainable logging," and such. The more important issue in
human endeavors is sustainable culture, and that means people need to feel the effect of their
life choices. It is the basic "pain response." Pain serves a wonderful purpose -- it keeps us from
putting our hands in the oven. None of this says there shouldn't be "insurance policies" that
lower individual exposure to risk from what is primarily "bad luck." Pooling risk is a wonderful
thing, really.

> I agree that not everyone needs a good bike shop all the time but it's the ***** not have one when
> you do and if it means paying a buck more for brake pads I think it's worth it.

With you as a consumer of that good, I have no problem with your choice there. Just don't try to say
others have an obligation to purchase what you purchase and where you purchase it.

Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Carl
> Fogel) wrote:
>
> > Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> > > Maybe there's something I don't know about motorcycle skid plates, but couldn't that spot be
> > > covered by a removable, bolted skid plate?
> >
> > Dear Rick,
> >
> > Not easily, not well, and not economically.
> >
> > Something about 400 pounds of rider and machine banging over three-foot logs just doesn't like
> > cobbled-together rear skid-plate attachments. Things flex and even bend permanently down there.
>
> (snip)
>
> > When I replaced my fender armor in 1974, my down tubes were revealed and turned out to be badly
> > dented. It's nice to have the extra strength of the transmission functioning as a frame member.
> > (The contemporary Ossa machines lacked down tubes and relied on the gear case for the lower part
> > of the frame--lighter, a bit more clearance, and so forth.)
>
> What do the contemporary trials bikes use (Gas-Gas, Beta, etc)? I can't tell from the pics, but
> it looks like they hang the engines and wrap a plate under it now. I'd assume no one puts the
> clutch lever underneath like that anymore.

Dear Howard,

I haven't paid any real attention to modern trials machines, but I expect that you're right. Using
the transmission as the lower frame saves weight, increases ground clearance, and lowers the
center of mass.

(Just how out of touch I am with modern machines was emphasized last summer when my ancient Honda
turned out to be older than the fellow who curiously asked what I was riding. "A Honda-saurus," his
father explained before I could explain.)

Even in the early '70's, the use of the transmission case as the lower frame was catching on, as the
post about the Ossa Mick Andrews Replica pointed out (the original Ossa Plonker had normal lower
frame tubes, like every model shown in the back of "Sammy Miller On Trials.")

Using the transmission as a frame member was not, however, a new idea. Miller's famous GOV 132 Ariel
500cc did it (possibly a Miller modification).

Carl Fogel

jeffbonny wrote:

> >> You might be wrong.
> >
> >But I'm not.
>
> If you know this from personal dealings with Bikesmith I'll accept this statement. If you are
> saying it from a distant posture of "that which is self evident" I'm callin' ********.

Chalo wrote: "I went to the shop to see Val, round up a few odds and ends from the place (now
looking bombed and subsequently looted), and hopefully help a bit with his bankruptcy arrangements."

"Turns out the landlord is kicking Val & Co. out of the store soon, and nothing can be done at
this point."

"Actually, the landlord has reached his limit of patience with The Bikesmith being late on rent."

His creditors shut him down. The Bikesmith is defunct as a business model.

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

[snip]

> I date a convenience store manager who tells me she will sell half as much gasoline in a day when
> she is 1c over the guy a block away. That is to say, some large number of people actually look at
> the price of gasoline before buying. This stunned me, but then again I buy a tank every month or
> six weeks and I could not tell you what it costs.

[snip]

Dear Andrew,

Maybe there's a rec.gas-price.tech where they earnestly squabble over that dime saved per tankful
and whether it's worth the gas to drive the extra block?

Of course, the satisfaction of paying a penny less per gallon is probably as great as what we get
from truing wheels to absurd precision--and takes less time and effort.

Time to spend a minute or two puzzling over whether mounting a bicycle "incorrectly" will strain
my spokes!

Carl Fogel

"Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > What do the contemporary trials bikes use (Gas-Gas, Beta, etc)? I
can't
> > tell from the pics, but it looks like they hang the engines and wrap a plate under it now. I'd
> > assume no one puts the clutch lever underneath
like
> > that anymore.
>
> Dear Howard,
>
> I haven't paid any real attention to modern trials machines, but I expect that you're right. Using
> the transmission as the lower frame saves weight, increases ground clearance, and lowers the
> center of mass.

Time to catch up now:

http://www.motorcycle-trials.com/

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

> A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> [snip]
>
> > I date a convenience store manager who tells me she will sell half as much gasoline in a day
> > when she is 1c over the guy a block away. That is to say, some large number of people actually
> > look at the price of gasoline before buying. This stunned me, but then again I buy a tank every
> > month or six weeks and I could not tell you what it costs.

Well, people driving an Excursion with a 30-gallon tank and having to fill it up every few days will
likely have a different attitude about it than you do. When I had my Escort Diesel (45 mpg commuting
to work, 56-58 on the highway), I felt like you do.

David Kerber wrote:

> > A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I date a convenience store manager who tells me she will sell half as much gasoline in a day
> > > when she is 1c over the guy a block away. That is to say, some large number of people actually
> > > look at the price of gasoline before buying. This stunned me, but then again I buy a tank
> > > every month or six weeks and I could not tell you what it costs.
>
> Well, people driving an Excursion with a 30-gallon tank and having to fill it up every few days
> will likely have a different attitude about it than you do. When I had my Escort Diesel (45 mpg
> commuting to work, 56-58 on the highway), I felt like you do.

If it is a 30 gal tank and the per-gal price difference is 1¢, then cost delta is 30¢ per complete
tankful. If you can afford an Excursion, and a place to park it, then that 30¢ probably doesn't mean
much. The gas supply business is highly competetive, that is about all that explains Andrew's date's
experience. If someone sees a lower price, all other things apparently equal, then folks will take
that lower price.