The boudreaux thread

Originally posted by Sprinter_989
Maybe got angry and stabbed his computer with those controversial knives????

:D Yeah, no joke. The guy is a goober with nothing better to do with his time than put pown and preach to those that will listen. Half the time his advice is totally incorrect, but the newbies wouldn't know it anyway. The other half is just plain obvious!

I guess that I have been called hooey quite a few times and sometimes I have not agreed with what he has said but the guy really knows his stuff and I like reading his information.

Originally posted by pudster
I guess that I have been called hooey quite a few times and sometimes I have not agreed with what he has said but the guy really knows his stuff and I like reading his information.

no prob, some people have to be the sheep.

Originally posted by sea
Nasty personal comments have no place in this forum.

The hooey flows both ways. What's good for the hooeymongers is good for the hooeymongers.

Here's a little first amendment spiel. There's a difference between saying a person is hooey and a person's information or opinions are hooey. Boudreaux has not said the former, IIRC, only the latter. He's usually correct about bad information. I've been blasted for minor errors ... but the man was correct. Where was he wrong on his facts? As to opinions... that's first amendment turf.

To me, the word "hooey" is no more offensive than poppycock (from the Dutch, pappekak, soft dung) or addlepated (Middle English, adel, liquid manure, therefore, sh*t for brains).

IMO, the grit of his sandpaper is much finer grain recently.

Originally posted by Eidetic
Here's a little first amendment spiel. There's a difference between saying a person is hooey and a person's information or opinions are hooey. Boudreaux has not said the former, IIRC, only the latter. He's usually correct about bad information. I've been blasted for minor errors ... but the man was correct. Where was he wrong on his facts? As to opinions... that's first amendment turf.

To me, the word "hooey" is no more offensive than poppycock (from the Dutch, pappekak, soft dung) or addlepated (Middle English, adel, liquid manure, therefore, sh*t for brains).

IMO, the grit of his sandpaper is much finer grain recently.

:D I love it! Yeah! Let's make some ammendments on the user agreement on when it is ok to put people down using the word hooey! Holla back hooeymonger!

Originally posted by Eidetic
There's a difference between saying a person is hooey and a person's information or opinions are hooey. Boudreaux has not said the former, IIRC, only the latter. He's usually correct about bad information.
Like most of the forum members, I've learned to live with the guy and his toxic demeanor; as others have said, pay attention to the helpful info and shrug off his bad attitude. With all due respect, though, Eidetic, I think you're playing a word game here which gives ole' boudreaux a bit too much credit.

Keep boudreaux around; fine. He's useful sometimes. He may even be a decent guy deep, deep, deep down. I don't think your assesment of the relative nastiness values of calling someone "hooey" versus calling their opinions "hooey" is true enough. One can be just as rude, caustic, unfair, narrow, obtuse, hurtful or inappropriate doing the latter as the former. You can call a bloke "hooey" all day long and not ruffle anyone's feathers.

By the same token, you can spin a critical take on a person's opinions or experience and turn it into outright ridicule easily. What bothers me is how readily (and regularly) boudreaux crosses that line. Sure, it's funny sometimes, but how often does a newbie or all-in-all mellow person arrive at the forums and feel suddenly bloodied after mis-stating the BB/crank interface format of the Sora drivetrain?

Should civility on a cycling forum have such a learning curve?

Originally posted by BaCardi
:D Yeah, no joke. The guy is a goober with nothing better to do with his time than put pown and preach to those that will listen. Half the time his advice is totally incorrect, but the newbies wouldn't know it anyway. The other half is just plain obvious!
What a lot of Hooey Louie!!! He is right on 90% of the time. And I will wager that a lot of newbies are thankful that he is in this forum. I personally, would rather have tactless good info, than bad info. Every forum needs a knowledgeable Hooey Monitor.

Originally posted by bobobg
What a lot of Hooey Louie!!! He is right on 90% of the time. And I will wager that a lot of newbies are thankful that he is in this forum. I personally, would rather have tactless good info, than bad info. Every forum needs a knowledgeable Hooey Monitor.

I got the impression that BaCardi's comment referred to memphmann, not boudreaux.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
I got the impression that BaCardi's comment referred to memphmann, not boudreaux.

True dat, but the guy didn't even bother to read the thread and just picked out one part. Typical boudreaux ****.

Had a secretary where I used to work. Older woman. Crusty. Memorably unattractive. Stereotypical New Yorker named Mickey.

Mean as hell. Short with clients. Not rude, exactly...just short. Mean she saved for those of us who worked there.

But _damn_ did she know her stuff. Had been an executive secretary to a Fortune 500 CEO in her previous life. Anticipated your needs, never made mistakes, thought things through. Unbelievably thorough.

Boss wanted to fire her. Hated that somebody whose paycheck _he_ signed could give him such attitude.

I told him he was a fool. Putting up with a bit of attitude was small price to pay for true competence.

Bring it on, Boudreaux....just don't slip....and thanks for the good advice I've gleaned from your posts ;)

Originally posted by neil0502
Had a secretary where I used to work. Older woman. Crusty. Memorably unattractive. Stereotypical New Yorker named Mickey.

Mean as hell. Short with clients. Not rude, exactly...just short. Mean she saved for those of us who worked there.

But _damn_ did she know her stuff. Had been an executive secretary to a Fortune 500 CEO in her previous life. Anticipated your needs, never made mistakes, thought things through. Unbelievably thorough.

Boss wanted to fire her. Hated that somebody whose paycheck _he_ signed could give him such attitude.

I told him he was a fool. Putting up with a bit of attitude was small price to pay for true competence.

Bring it on, Boudreaux....just don't slip....and thanks for the good advice I've gleaned from your posts ;)

Well, isn't that special. Too bad though that Bourdreax is often full of hot air with NO advice and his advice is obvious to many experienced wrenches. He has been called out on his adamant bad tech too with his so-called expertise with BBs and thread cutting, but the less experienced never know. :)

True dat, but the guy didn't even bother to read the thread and just picked out one part. Typical boudreaux ****.
I read the thread but got it wrong, sorry about that.

He has been called out on his adamant bad tech too with his so-called expertise with BBs and thread cutting, but the less experienced never know. :)
No more feeding the trolls. But,how about some real imput from 'da man/woman genius'.

Originally posted by boudreaux
No more feeding the trolls. But,how about some real imput from 'da man/woman genius'.

Aaahhh! The troll is back! We knew you'd be here, but like's been said before. If you can't take the hooey, don't start the hooey! :p

Aaahhh! The troll is back! We knew you'd be here, but like's been said before. If you can't take the hooey, don't start the hooey! :p
Well, I'm gonna go ride the bike. Do you really ride a bike or just play a role on the internet?

Originally posted by boudreaux
Well, I'm gonna go ride the bike. Do you really ride a bike or just play a role on the internet?

Typical. Couldn't take your own hooey, then get out the proverbial kitchen! Go on now. When you swim with the sharks, you get eaten by the sharks. Enjoy your ride, and don't let the door hit ya where the hooey don't shine! bu-bye troll!