The Bush to call cow tracks & Jeep trails: Highways ??

"Doug Bashford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> In <[email protected]> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:15, "Matt" wrote
> >- "scrape at mindspring dot com" wrote
> >- > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:39(Doug Bashford) wrote:
>
> ...........snip
> >- > >The problem here, and it's a huge one, is
> >- > >that one guy is saying "you enviros" want it
> >- > >all, and another says just as silly, "you ORVes"
> >- > >want it all. That's BS.
> >- > >
> >- > >Fact is, some enviros want it all, yes.
> >- > >Fact is, some ORVers want it all, yes.
> >- > >And they are whackos. Tiny insignificant
> >- > >minority whackos. -
> >- Doug, I wish that were true. Unfortunately, characterizing
> >- the percentage of those in the environmental movement
> >- who want to eliminate OHV access altogether as
> >- "insignificant" is absolutely ludicrous. Whackos, yes,
> >- but "insignificant?", no way.
>
> I disagree, but for the sake of argument I will not challenge that, nor the below. I'll say
> "could be."

indeed. You'd have an extremely hard time finding any evidence to prove otherwise. If you can, in
fact, locate -any- public statement from -any- major enviro group that says anything close to "OHVs
should have at least some access" and, even better, "and here's where we think they should be able
to ride" I would truly love to see it. Really.

> Instead, I'll just try to put some context on that "fact" -- one you may not have noticed.

[ snip a bunch of stuff that apparently came from Rick Siemen's writings ]

You highly overestimate Rick Siemen's influence and it's completely inaccurate and disingenuous
(or maybe you really believe it) to imply that his attitudes and approach reflect those of the
general OHV community. I'm around a lot of dirt bikers and NO ONE I know talks or thinks like
that. I've also been to my share of public meetings and never experienced that kind of behavior,
from either side.

I'm also mystified with you apparent belief that the mainstream dirt bike media reflects those kind
of attitudes. I subscribe to Dirt Rider, Motocross Action and Racer X, and frequently glance thru
several others. My biggest complaint is that most of them pretty much ignore access issues. When
they do occasionally say something, it most definitely does not contain the kind of extremist
rhetoric you descibe. Nor does the stuff I read which does focus on access issues (eg. The Blue
Ribbon Coalition magazine, and occasionally, AMA stuff [when they're not too busy preserving the
Harley posers' all-important right to ride helmetless]) describe or in any way advocate those kind
of tactics.

As someone else here pointed out Rick has a long history with extreme environmentalists and given
his apparent experiences with them, his bitterness and anger is understandable, but he doesn't speak
for me, nor to I consider the kind of tactics described in those quotes as acceptable or productive
in any way.

> >- mainstream Sierra Club has to say on the subject makes it
> >- very clear they will be satisfied with nothing less than a total
> >- ban,
>
> If that were true, then gee, I wonder why? What do you expect? Mr. Spock from Star Trek to go to
> those negotiations? I am quite aware that it is not rational to portray all ORVers as Sahara
> Clubbers, but what exactly about terrorism is rational? Zero?
>
> I'm sure it's great fun squealing about and threatening and hating evil eco-freaks, but is it
> possible that this attitude might be counter productive where it matters most?

This kind of behavior can be found on both sides, well, the squeeling and hating anyway, as
evidenced in these very discussions, and yes, I agree it is counterproductive.

> >- and many of them would love to eliminate mountain bikes
> >- as well. Barbara Boxer's Wilderness Bill would lock us
> >- out of huge amounts of public land and she has total
> >- support from every enviro group you could name (except
> >- those who don't think her bill goes far enough!).
>
> You are quite wrong pal. Cause you are talking to one. The Commetee to Save the Kings River. They
> wanted to put Wilderness here in Fresno Co too, they had maps and everything. We took a vote, it
> was unanomous. No. They smiled and went away. That's why there's no Wilderness in Fresno Co on
> Boxer's bill. But there is something about saving the Kings River.

I've never heard or that group and don't know the specifics of the case but I don't see how it
disproves my point. Perhaps they felt you had already achieved the kind of exclusion they're trying
to impose everywhere else?

> >- Environmentalists have gained a majority number of the
> >- seats on the state OHV commission and are using
> >- every opportunity to close riding areas and deny funding
> >- (OUR Green sticker money) to those areas they can't
> >- close. I could go on.
>
> And I'm sure sometimes you do. So what we have here is kind of a Catch-22 isn't it. Kinda
> circular. You call them eco-freaks, and then they are not likely to be too helpful, are they?

And if we'd just been nice to them and hadn't called them mean names, everything would be different?
Please. Which do you suppose came first, the closures or the angry responses?

> Ya know, I've worked shoulder to shoulder with hunting clubs, fisherman clubs, 4WD clubs, Forest &
> BLM rangers and biologists cleaning up meadows and doing forest restoration work. Never a
> motorcycle club.

I do my share of trail work, both as a dirt biker and a mountain biker. Others here do to. I can't
speak to your experiences (or lack thereof) with specific groups, but it sounds anecdotal at best.

> >- ORVers don't want (or expect) 100% access or anything
> >- even close, we just want more than the meager amount we
> >- have now (or at the very least, not to LOSE any more). And the
> >- losses over the last several years have been staggering.
>
> And what have you done to earn it? Or anybody's respect? Threaten to spit on them, ruin their
> carrer, marraige, bank account, break a few fingers? Call them eco-freaks etc?

As I said before, I do trail work, I take care of the areas I ride in, I vote, I go to public
meetings and I write letters and make phone calls in an attempt to influence legislation. And I have
never threatened, spit on, etc etc anybody.

Tell me this, have you personally been the victim of (or even witnessed) any of the above kinds of
violence you describe, or did you just read some extremist literature and decide that that's how all
motorized recreationists think and behave?

> >- Hikers have access to pretty much 100% of all public land
> >- in California, they have *exclusive* access to the vast majority.
> >- I can't locate a recent figure but I seem to recall that OHVs are
> >- permitted on something like 4.7% of public land in this state
> >- (or maybe it's 0.47%) and enviro groups have been (sucessfully)
> >- chipping away at that number every year, using every conceivable
> >- excuse. One site I found that is attempting to catalog and quantify
> >- the losses can be found at:
> >- http://www.crowley-offroad.com/closed_areas_california_ohv.htm
>
> What you say is reasonable. But your sport is very high impact. That's what makes the difference.
>
> One problem you need to accept is that a bike tearing up a 60 degree grassy hill is like a bus of
> people in the woods tossing litter out all the windows nonstop. You both leave ugly unatural
> tracks which last for years, sometimes much longer. True or false?
>
> But the difference between 100 buses doing that, and 100 bikes is, the bus litter just get uglier,
> the bikes start doing damage.
>
> ...so ya gatta limit where that can be done.
>

> >- > Unfortunately, in the name of "compromise", I've seen lots of land
> >- > made unavailable to the OHV community and none ever made available.
> >- > For the most part, the OHV community is willing to compromise and the
> >- > Sierra Club side is not. -
> >- THIS is the reality unfortunately.
> >- There is NO parity between the two
> >- sides on this issue.
>
> Well there should be fairness. But can you see how opening up large tracks of quasi-pristine areas
> to dirt bikes might ruin it for everyone else? Including the cattle grazers? Turn grass or duff
> covered hills to bare mineral soil and growing erosion ruts? We've all seen these, I've seen some
> five feet deep. ...And that by definition, it would kill it's quasi-pristine nature?

I discussed sustainabilty of riding areas elsewhere in this thread so I won't repeat it all here,
but in brief, the kind of irreparable damage you describe only occurs in certain highly sensitive
areas (which I agree should be protected) or when an area is badly overridden, a result of too many
people crammed into too small of an area. When sufficient land is available (and I don't mean a huge
amount, something still in the single digit percentage range) trails can be rotated in and out of
use to allow for recovery. I have seen this done in certain state riding areas very successfully. In
areas where snow cover limits the riding season, this rotation isn't even necessary since the the
trails are almost gone by spring thaw.

Doug, get over your obsession with Rick Siemen and the "Sahara Club", the vast majority of dirt
bikers have never even heard of them and don't share those views. We're just like everyone else,
attack us, call us names (like that Ian guy did) and most will probably respond in kind (or ignore
you). Try to discuss the issues and show an open mind and we will too. Who knows, you might learn
something, we might learn something, we may even find some middle ground and accomplish something.

I am biased on this issue and so are you. I am simply trying to ascertain what you people call
"compromise."

Just answer yes or no then. Here's the questions again:

Are you assuming that all public lands/forests are available and open for riding?

Are you assuming that there has been an increase in land made available in the last five years for
off-road motorcycles (in the USA)?

Kurt

"Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "IRKurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Just for clarity, because I am wonder if some of the eco-posters are seriously mis-informed or
> > just trying to mislead:
>
> P.S. are you still beating your wife? Gee. Am I misleading or trying to misinform? What a choice.
> How to answer that without foul language..
>
> I am doing neither. I am trying to get a rational discussion going here in the land of one
> dimensional idiots.
>

> My post did not use this as a 'assumption' now did it?
>

> There are no assumptions in my post. It was merely a perspective on why
the
> two sides are so at loggerheads.
>

> > If not, exactly what is your objective?
>
> You assume either a bias or an agenda. You are not interested in debate. End.
>

> > Kurt
> >

> > "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "scrape at mindspring dot com" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> > > news:[email protected]...

'em.

> > > You missed just about everyone.
> > >
> > > P.S the real difference here is that Environmentalists tend to talke
> about
> > > the land as "our" land to be preserved, which the ORVer tends to talk
> > about
> > > it being 'public land' and he is 'public' so it is HIS land to ruin.
> This
> > is
> > > the basic problem. The ORVer does not care that he only has a
> 1/288,234th
> > > share of the ownership, but feels that access is power.

"scrape at mindspring dot com" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Hmm. Andy Dragon is in Toronto. This twit is in Toronto. Andy hasn't been around much lately since
> the last time he was posting under a different name trying to **** people off.

If you're right, I'm gonna be ****** at getting suckered again.

Jay

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Doug Bashford) wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 01:29, Andy Weaks wrote about: Re: The Bush to call cow tracks & Jeep trails:
> Highways ??
>
>>- Anyway, it is FEDERAL LAND and I would guess that all Americans
>>- should have a say what goes on on OUR land. It isn't just fat

>>- country what should occur on MY land.
>
>I find it kinda amusing that the ORVers here have been so well trained by Wise Use & Co that
>they just follow in lock-step, -- seemingly without any thought,-- that the loss of their
>guarenteed right

You don't seem to understand the law.

In article <[email protected]>, "Jay C" <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Lloyd Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >Okay, *now* do a little more research and see what the biggest contributors are to the
>> >destruction of the ozone layer.
>>
>> Humans and their CFCs.
>
>Nope, but good guess. It's cow farts.
>
>Jay

Another illiterate poster heard from.

In article <[email protected]>,
Michael Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Wow, loggers and miners have come and logged/mined YOUR land?
>>

>> Yep. The land I own jointly with 220 million others.
>>

>Thank you for proving my point. It is OUR land "jointly owned", and as long as I take care of it, I
>should be able to use it, just like everyone else.

As I said, we all jointly own the White House. Do you think you could waltz into the Oval Office and
demand to use it?

In article <[email protected]>, "IRKurt" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Just for clarity, because I am wonder if some of the eco-posters are seriously mis-informed or just
>trying to mislead:
>
>Are you assuming that all public lands/forests are available and open for riding?
>
>Are you assuming that there has been an increase in land made available in the last five years for
>off-road motorcycles (in the USA)?
>
>If not, exactly what is your objective?

To keep what is now wildnerness, wildnerness.

>Kurt
>

>"Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "scrape at mindspring dot com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > The only "solutions" I've seen lately are like the man says. "Forest

>> > Dirt bikes? Ban 'em. ATVs? Ban 'em. 4WD? Ban 'em. Mountain bikes? Ban 'em.
>> >
>> > Did I miss anyone?
>>
>> You missed just about everyone.
>>
>> P.S the real difference here is that Environmentalists tend to talke about the land as "our" land
>> to be preserved, which the ORVer tends to talk
>about
>> it being 'public land' and he is 'public' so it is HIS land to ruin. This
>is
>> the basic problem. The ORVer does not care that he only has a 1/288,234th share of the ownership,
>> but feels that access is power.

In article <[email protected]>, "Jay C" <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:hgcUa.8446>
>
>> Well, the 'hole' goes beyond normal depletion so while the levels of ozone are a 'naturally
>> occuring cycle', the hole is an artificial exxageration
>of
>> that. You really ought to read the Ozone Faq.
>
>You really ought to do a little real research - or do you get all your information from internet
>articles written by eco-extremists?

Actually, we get it from science. Every try that?

>> Nope. Actually the CFC decline is taking much longer than originally expected. Try again in 2050.
>
>Bzzzzzzzz. Wrong again (getting to be a habit with you, ain't it). I will completely agree with the
>'fact' that CFCs are sill around and as prevalent as ever -- why not, it only serves to further
>discredit you, which is becoming painfully easy. The ozone "hole" (which, BTW is now two smaller
>holes) measured 6 million square miles last year - that compares with the 9 million sq. mile
>average measured over the past 6 years. Hmmm, a 30% decline with little reduction in human-produced
>CFCs. Whoops, there goes your whole argument. Darn.

CFCs have been banned.

>> > Don't see much about that on the news though - it's just too dull.
>>
>> Or you are.
>
>Read a book. Take some courses. Then kiss my black ass.
>
>Jay

Why do you flaunt your ignorance? Is it "kool" to show you know no science?

In article <[email protected]>, "Jay C" <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Ian St. John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:02ZTa.4056
>> > Nope, but good guess. It's cow farts.
>>
>> Nope. Try learning something. You are probably confusing the issues of global warming and ozone
>> depletion. Not very bright.
>
>Ooh, I'm just soooooo stupid. Incidently, the ozone hole, which is a naturally occuring oscillatory
>phenomenon,

Idiot.

>is closing back up these days.

Yes, and know why?

"vlj" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Ian St. John" <[email protected]> sez:
>
> > cuz "Jay C" <[email protected]> sez:
> <snip>
> > > Nope, but good guess. It's cow farts.
> >
> > Nope. Try learning something. You are probably confusing the issues of global warming and ozone
> > depletion.<snip>
>
> Er, is global warming increased or decreased if you light the cow farts (I recommend you use a
> match on end of a looooooooooong stick)?

The Global Warming potential of Methane is about 1/9th of that of CO2. I gather we'll see you out
there waiting for a cow fart? The methane actually comes from cow burps, but we don't want to spoil
your fun or out hysterical laughter.

> Good analysis to ya,

Here's hoping you get a life...

> VLJ
> --
> Take only pictures, leave only bullet holes.

God help the kids if you are an instructor...

Kurt

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:46:37 -0400, "Jay C" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"scrape at mindspring dot com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Hmm. Andy Dragon is in Toronto. This twit is in Toronto. Andy hasn't been around much lately
>> since the last time he was posting under a different name trying to **** people off.
>
>If you're right, I'm gonna be ****** at getting suckered again.

Just a guess based on very little evidence, but I'll bet a beer(s) on
it.

"scrape at mindspring dot com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:46:37 -0400, "Jay C" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"scrape at mindspring dot com" <[email protected]> wrote in
message

> >> Hmm. Andy Dragon is in Toronto. This twit is in Toronto. Andy hasn't been around much lately
> >> since the last time he was posting under a different name trying to **** people off.
> >
> >If you're right, I'm gonna be ****** at getting suckered again.
>
> Just a guess based on very little evidence, but I'll bet a beer(s) on
> it.

pay up

"Lloyd Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "IRKurt" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Just for clarity, because I am wonder if some of the eco-posters are seriously mis-informed or
> >just trying to mislead:
> >
> >Are you assuming that all public lands/forests are available and open
for
> >riding?
> >
> >Are you assuming that there has been an increase in land made available
in
> >the last five years for off-road motorcycles (in the USA)?
> >
> >If not, exactly what is your objective?
>
> To keep what is now wildnerness, wildnerness.

Then you have won. Put a fork in it, Lloyd.

Kurt

In article <[email protected]>, Andy Weaks says...

>Andrew Langer wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>, Lloyd Parker says...

>> >The definition wasn't an overgrown trail not used for 50 years.
>>
>> Yeah, well, Dr. Parker, just why in the world do you think that those trails went unused for 50
>> years? Could it be possibly because the federal government asserted jurisdiction over those
>> trails, and those who had theretofore held rights in them were unwilling to impinge on what the
>> federal government claimed as its own?
>>

>or maybe they just became unused because there wasn't anything economic there and therefor they
>give up what flimsy "rights" they had to them.

Well then, Mr. Weaks, there won't be anyone to claim a valid existing right over them, will there?

> Anyway, it is FEDERAL LAND and I would guess that all Americans should have a say what goes on on
> OUR land.

Only to the point where you do not invalidate some individual's valid existing rights _ON_ that
land. You have a say. But like all other votes, you're only allowed to extend _YOUR_ rights to the
point where they do not impede on someone _ELSE'S_ rights.

That's what America is all about there, friend.

> It isn't just fat

>MY land.

And it isn't some group of elitist urbanite snobs who will never set foot in

what he can do with his valid existing rights.

you that you can't walk through some park in your city, right?

> Uses that cause degradation just for a few ***** and giggles maybe shouldn't be allowed.

And what about people ingressing or egressing to their house? Or a dirt road which represents the
only connection between two cities in a county the size of two eastern states?

Weaks. We're talking about everyday life for everyday people.

- Andrew Langer

Any posts by Andrew Langer are his own, written by him, for his own enjoyment (and the education of
others). Unless expressly stated, they represent his own views, and not those of any other
individuals or entities. He is not, nor has he ever been, paid to post here.

On 25 Jul 2003 19:02:13 GMT, [email protected] (Lloyd Parker) wrote:

>CFCs have been banned.

Maybe so, but not forgotten, there is still plenty of it around, in use:

"The supply of black market CFC-12 is believed to come from Russia, China, India, eastern Europe and
other countries that do not yet have a ban. The CFC is smuggled into the United States using a
number of different methods. Sometimes the containers are falsely labeled as another chemical which
is similar to CFC-12, or it is claimed as recycled CFC, or it is hidden among a larger shipment of
legal chemicals ..."

http://www.american.edu/projects/mandala/TED/CFCTRADE.htm

David '03 KTM 200EXC djones<at>LSidaho.com http://www.motosports-boise.com/rmd

In article <[email protected]>, Lloyd Parker says...

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Doug Bashford) wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 01:29, Andy Weaks wrote about: Re: The Bush to call cow tracks & Jeep
>> trails: Highways ??
>>
>>>- Anyway, it is FEDERAL LAND and I would guess that all Americans
>>>- should have a say what goes on on OUR land. It isn't just fat

>>>- country what should occur on MY land.
>>
>>I find it kinda amusing that the ORVers here have been so well trained by Wise Use & Co that
>>they just follow in lock-step, -- seemingly without any thought,-- that the loss of their
>>guarenteed right
>
>You don't seem to understand the law.

Oh, this ought to be good. Dr. Lloyd Parker lecturing Doug Bashford on the law.

- Andrew Langer

Any posts by Andrew Langer are his own, written by him, for his own enjoyment (and the education of
others). Unless expressly stated, they represent his own views, and not those of any other
individuals or entities. He is not, nor has he ever been, paid to post here.

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:01, "Matt" wrote
>- "Doug Bashford" wrote in message
>- news:[email protected]...
>- > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:15, "Matt" wrote
>- > >- "scrape at mindspring dot com" wrote
>- > >- > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:39(Doug Bashford) wrote:

>- > ...........snip
>- > >- > >The problem here, and it's a huge one, is
>- > >- > >that one guy is saying "you enviros" want it
>- > >- > >all, and another says just as silly, "you ORVes"
>- > >- > >want it all. That's BS.

>- > Instead, I'll just try to put some context on that "fact"
>- > -- one you may not have noticed.
>-
>- [ snip a bunch of stuff that apparently came from
>- Rick Siemen's writings ]

Mean, nasty, malcious, true terrorist stuff. Not just ***** sabotage stuff. If you try to snip that
away, you have yer head in the sand and we are not going to do much communicating. .

>- You highly overestimate Rick Siemen's influence
>- and it's completely inaccurate and disingenuous
>- (or maybe you really believe it) to imply that his
>- attitudes and approach reflect those of the general
>- OHV community. I'm around a lot of dirt bikers and
>- NO ONE I know talks or thinks like that. I've also
>- been to my share of public meetings and never
>- experienced that kind of behavior, from either side.

I am not suggesting that bikers are aping him. I am saying that everywhere I look, in these two
threads for example, there is a hyper- anti-environmental feeling. And yes, I AM saying that
Rick, DIRT BIKE, and off-road.com with Sahara Club and Wise Use roots/values is a big
contributing part of that.

>- I'm also mystified with you apparent belief that the
>- mainstream dirt bike media reflects those kind of
>- attitudes. I subscribe to Dirt Rider, Motocross Action
>- and Racer X, and frequently glance thru several others.
>- My biggest complaint is that most of them pretty much
>- ignore access issues. When they do occasionally
>- say something, it most definitely does not contain
>- the kind of extremist rhetoric you descibe.

No, I didn't think they did. Otherwise, I'd know about it. You are missing what I'm trying to say.
It may not be extemist, but I suggest it is there, and probably more than you notice.

>- Nor does
>- the stuff I read which does focus on access issues
>- (eg. The Blue Ribbon Coalition magazine, and occasionally,
>- AMA stuff [when they're not too busy preserving the Harley
>- posers' all-important right to ride helmetless]) describe
>- or in any way advocate those kind of tactics.

Of course not. Those would be full blown terrorism, and possibly get the FBI involved. How could it
be? -- in anything but a whacko finge kook's mag? It would cut revenue.

>- As someone else here pointed out Rick has a long history
>- with extreme environmentalists and given his apparent
>- experiences with them, his bitterness and anger is
>- understandable, but he doesn't speak for me, nor to I
>- consider the kind of tactics described in those quotes as
>- acceptable or productive in any way.

I'm not accusing anybody of those tactics. That you think I might be, suggests how how high your
tolerence to that "eco-freak" attitude must be. And I'm saying your media is a part immunizing you
to that dispicable attitude.

>-
>- > >- mainstream Sierra Club has to say on the subject makes it
>- > >- very clear they will be satisfied with nothing less than a total
>- > >- ban,
>- >
>- > If that were true, then gee, I wonder why?
>- > What do you expect? Mr. Spock from Star Trek
>- > to go to those negotiations? I am quite aware that
>- > it is not rational to portray all ORVers as
>- > Sahara Clubbers, but what exactly about terrorism is
>- > rational? Zero?
>- >
>- > I'm sure it's great fun squealing about and
>- > threatening and hating evil eco-freaks, but
>- > is it possible that this attitude might be counter
>- > productive where it matters most?
>-
>- This kind of behavior can be found on both sides,
>- well, the squeeling and hating anyway, as evidenced
>- in these very discussions, and yes, I agree it is
>- counterproductive.
>-
>- > >- and many of them would love to eliminate mountain bikes
>- > >- as well. Barbara Boxer's Wilderness Bill would lock us
>- > >- out of huge amounts of public land and she has total
>- > >- support from every enviro group you could name (except
>- > >- those who don't think her bill goes far enough!).
>- >
>- > You are quite wrong pal. Cause you are talking
>- > to one. The Commetee to Save the Kings River.
>- > They wanted to put Wilderness here in Fresno Co
>- > too, they had maps and everything. We took a vote,
>- > it was unanomous. No. They smiled and went away.
>- > That's why there's no Wilderness in Fresno Co on
>- > Boxer's bill. But there is something about saving
>- > the Kings River.
>-
>- I've never heard or that group and don't know the
>- specifics of the case but I don't see how it disproves
>- my point. Perhaps they felt you had already achieved
>- the kind of exclusion they're trying to impose everywhere
>- else?

Well, I just gave you the specifics. The vote was with about 15 local enviro activists, most of us
with about 15 years experience in the trenches, a true association of other groups. All unpaid. And
it UTTERLY disproves your point. And that you don't believe me, is a sad sad indicator of just how
well your culture has you trained. You prolly TOTALLY mind-filered it out of existance because it
does not match your prejudice.

And that. partner, is EXACTLY what the hell I'm talking about.

I can't speak for the others, but my personal reasons were yes, we have more than enough local
Wilderness, and I don't particularly like the stuff. Somebody else argued; how would it
improve anything?

Perhaps if you guys were'nt so busy giving everybody the finger, you might notice things like this?

>- > >- Environmentalists have gained a majority number of the
>- > >- seats on the state OHV commission and are using
>- > >- every opportunity to close riding areas and deny funding
>- > >- (OUR Green sticker money) to those areas they can't
>- > >- close. I could go on.
>- >
>- > And I'm sure sometimes you do. So what we have
>- > here is kind of a Catch-22 isn't it. Kinda circular.
>- > You call them eco-freaks, and then they are not
>- > likely to be too helpful, are they?
>-
>- And if we'd just been nice to them and hadn't called
>- them mean names, everything would be different?
>- Please. Which do you suppose came first, the
>- closures or the angry responses?

Sorry, let rephrase for precision, I'll drop the politeness.

Your guys terrorize them, and then they are not likely to be too helpful, are they?

And believe me, Rick is a good terrorist. It worked. Go ahead and mind-filter away, pretend I'm
making this up, ignore it, this one-way **** is getting boring, I'm about outa here.

>-
>- > Ya know, I've worked shoulder to shoulder with
>- > hunting clubs, fisherman clubs, 4WD clubs,
>- > Forest & BLM rangers and biologists cleaning up
>- > meadows and doing forest restoration work.
>- > Never a motorcycle club.
>-
>- I do my share of trail work, both as a dirt biker
>- and a mountain biker. Others here do to.

Again I used the wrong terminology, as if we were cleaning up dirty meadows. No, it was habitat
improvement, dropping trees, planting tress, stuff like that. Trying to delay glacial meadows from
turning into forests, to be more specific.

So when you tell me you clean up your own mess, well that's nice.

>- I can't
>- speak to your experiences (or lack thereof) with
>- specific groups, but it sounds anecdotal at best.

Yes. "at best?" I don't like being called a liar.

>- > >- ORVers don't want (or expect) 100% access or anything
>- > >- even close, we just want more than the meager amount we
>- > >- have now (or at the very least, not to LOSE any more). And the
>- > >- losses over the last several years have been staggering.
>- >
>- > And what have you done to earn it? Or anybody's
>- > respect? Threaten to spit on them, ruin their
>- > carrer, marraige, bank account, break a few fingers?
>- > Call them eco-freaks etc?
>-
>- As I said before, I do trail work, I take care of the areas
>- I ride in, I vote, I go to public meetings and I write letters and
>- make phone calls in an attempt to influence legislation.
>- And I have never threatened, spit on, etc etc anybody.
>-
>- Tell me this, have you personally been the victim of (or even
>- witnessed) any of the above kinds of violence you describe,
>- or did you just read some extremist literature and decide that
>- that's how all motorized recreationists think and behave?

If you had read both threads, you would know I was practically raised on a dirkbike. So I'm not
totally isolated from the culture. But most of miles are on street bikes, about 40,000 before I
joined the service at 21. I'm one of those guys who has long forgetten how many time he broke bones.

>- > >- Hikers have access to pretty much 100% of all public land
>- > >- in California, they have *exclusive* access to the vast majority.
>- > >- I can't locate a recent figure but I seem to recall that OHVs are
>- > >- permitted on something like 4.7% of public land in this state
>- > >- (or maybe it's 0.47%) and enviro groups have been (sucessfully)
>- > >- chipping away at that number every year, using every conceivable
>- > >- excuse. One site I found that is attempting to catalog and quantify
>- > >- the losses can be found at:
>- > >- http://www.crowley-offroad.com/closed_areas_california_ohv.htm
>- >
>- > What you say is reasonable. But your
>- > sport is very high impact. That's what makes
>- > the difference.
>- >
>- > One problem you need to accept is that a bike
>- > tearing up a 60 degree grassy hill is like
>- > a bus of people in the woods tossing litter
>- > out all the windows nonstop. You both leave
>- > ugly unatural tracks which last for years,
>- > sometimes much longer. True or false?
>- >
>- > But the difference between 100 buses doing
>- > that, and 100 bikes is, the bus litter just get
>- > uglier, the bikes start doing damage.
>- >
>- > ...so ya gatta limit where that can be done.
>- >
>- >
>- > >- > Unfortunately, in the name of "compromise", I've seen lots of land
>- > >- > made unavailable to the OHV community and none ever made available.
>- > >- > For the most part, the OHV community is willing to compromise and the
>- > >- > Sierra Club side is not.
>- > >-
>- > >- THIS is the reality unfortunately.
>- > >- There is NO parity between the two
>- > >- sides on this issue.
>- >
>- > Well there should be fairness. But can you see
>- > how opening up large tracks of quasi-pristine areas
>- > to dirt bikes might ruin it for everyone else?
>- > Including the cattle grazers?
>- > Turn grass or duff covered hills to bare mineral
>- > soil and growing erosion ruts? We've all seen
>- > these, I've seen some five feet deep.
>- > ...And that by definition, it would kill it's
>- > quasi-pristine nature?
>-
>-
>- I discussed sustainabilty of riding areas elsewhere
>- in this thread so I won't repeat it all here, but in brief,
>- the kind of irreparable damage you describe only
>- occurs in certain highly sensitive areas (which I
>- agree should be protected)

Well, that might be called highly sensitive in your neck of the woods, but in mine, it's called
hills mellow enough to get a dirtbike on. I guess you must be talking about desert, if you think
grassy or duff covered hills are special.

If so, then you prolly don't know what one season of real rain can do to one bike's denuded track
going straight up a steep hill.

>- or when an area is
>- badly overridden, a result of too many people crammed
>- into too small of an area. When sufficient land is
>- available (and I don't mean a huge amount, something
>- still in the single digit percentage range)

If you are talking 9% you are outa yer friggin mind! Just what percentage of the people do you think
are there primarily as riders!? Arond here, it's WAY less than 1%. Possibly that's due to local
conditions. Here, off-road means jeep tails, and they beat the **** out 4WDers and bikers alike. A
streight-away might get the daring up to 35MPH, and that would be mostly air time. Ya aughta try
Dusey Rd sometime, at 8,000+ ft, Wilderness on both sides. It gets about 20 riders a day, and it
takes most of a day. There's plenty more where that came from.

>- trails can be
>- rotated in and out of use to allow for recovery. I have
>- seen this done in certain state riding areas very
>- successfully. In areas where snow cover limits
>- the riding season, this rotation isn't even necessary
>- since the the trails are almost gone by spring thaw.

You must be talking flatland. Or somehow, no erosion.

>- Doug, get over your obsession with Rick Siemen
>- and the "Sahara Club", the vast majority of dirt bikers
>- have never even heard of them and don't share
>- those views.

Well, I'll tell what. Every Sirra Clubber has, possibly excepting the newbies. Sahara Club was a
well known terrorist organization.

And that's a huge part of my point.

And dirtbiker's attitude sucks.

Do with this info, as you want. Mind-filter it, I expect.

I notice you deleted my suggestions about power. So be a victim. It's great phun. --Doug