The Cars That Ate Adelaide...

Gemma_k

Guest
On 2006-05-18, Gemma_k (aka Bruce)
> http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,19186133%5E2682,00.html
>
> http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,19185431%5E2682,00.html

==> RAA spokesman Adam Thomson said yesterday the state's lead motoring
==> body recognised there were moves to add more vibrancy to the city.
==>
==> "RAA members are walkers and cyclists as well," he said.

Wow. RAA are more sane than RACV. RACV would be jumping up and down
and frothing at the mouth.

--
TimC
"pretty much, my thesis can be reduced to the letter tau" -- TimC

"Michael Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 18 May 2006 23:09:37 GMT, TimC wrote:
>
> > ==> RAA spokesman Adam Thomson said yesterday the state's lead motoring
> > ==> body recognised there were moves to add more vibrancy to the city.
> > ==>
> > ==> "RAA members are walkers and cyclists as well," he said.
> >
> > Wow. RAA are more sane than RACV. RACV would be jumping up and down
> > and frothing at the mouth.

> He didn't say that the RAA /approved/ of the moves.

FYI, The results of the phone poll were 70% NOT in favour of car free days
in the City of Adelaide.

Gemma_k wrote:
> "Michael Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 18 May 2006 23:09:37 GMT, TimC wrote:
>>
>>> ==> RAA spokesman Adam Thomson said yesterday the state's lead motoring
>>> ==> body recognised there were moves to add more vibrancy to the city.
>>> ==>
>>> ==> "RAA members are walkers and cyclists as well," he said.
>>>
>>> Wow. RAA are more sane than RACV. RACV would be jumping up and down
>>> and frothing at the mouth.

>> He didn't say that the RAA /approved/ of the moves.
>>

> FYI, The results of the phone poll were 70% NOT in favour of car free days
> in the City of Adelaide.

For someone who grew up in Adelaide and got his
cycling legs riding through the hills, this is
a tragic result. 70% against closing the centre
of the city.

Reminds me of the arguments about turning Rundle
St into a mall. The local traders were dead against
it as it would, they said, adversely affect trade.
It turned out to have the opposite effect. And it's
not surprising really. Imagine: someone drives past
John Martins (now gone), sees a dummy with a nice
frock so pulls over to go buy it? Pulls over where?
Street parking was long gone even in the 70s.

Depressed.

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 23 May 2006 14:49:50 +0800
DeF <""> wrote:
> For someone who grew up in Adelaide and got his
> cycling legs riding through the hills, this is
> a tragic result. 70% against closing the centre
> of the city.

If you grew up there you must know how most city traffic is through
traffic. Sure, there are bypasses, but many people find that the best
way to get where they are going (such as the sports fields, uni, zoo,
North Adelaide, and even points well north) is hey diddle diddle,
straight up the middle.

be interesting to know how much is through traffic but when I lived
there the answer was "lots".

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Tue, 23 May 2006 14:49:50 +0800
> DeF <""> wrote:
>> For someone who grew up in Adelaide and got his
>> cycling legs riding through the hills, this is
>> a tragic result. 70% against closing the centre
>> of the city.
>>

> If you grew up there you must know how most city traffic is through
> traffic. Sure, there are bypasses, but many people find that the best
> way to get where they are going (such as the sports fields, uni, zoo,
> North Adelaide, and even points well north) is hey diddle diddle,
> straight up the middle.
>
> be interesting to know how much is through traffic but when I lived
> there the answer was "lots".
>
> Zebee

Hmm. Can't say I really noticed this but then I lived in the
hills and I went somewhere I usually went around the city.
Fullerton Rd, South Tce and West Tce spring to mind. Certainly
roads like Glen Osmond Rd, Anzac Hwy and Port Rd dump a heap
of traffic on the city. I can see that King William Rd would be
a major throughfare (note that this was closed off for the TdU
final crit this year).

Still, after the TdU this year, it's a disappointing result.

DeF.

--

Gemma_k said:
FYI, The results of the phone poll were 70% NOT in favour of car free days
in the City of Adelaide.

Actually, considering there was no mentionof the Adelaide Crows in the poll I'm impressed that 30% voted for it!

Given a more attracive model perhaps it would be closer to 50/50?
after all, it usually takes approx 39-42% to get a liberal governement so based upon Democracy2.1™ that should be foine :rolleyes: