The "Century" Is In Miles or Kilometers?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by rtsy, Sep 16, 2003.

1. rtsy

rtsy New Member

Obviously, I am an absolute newbie. So be patient with me, please.

Also, for a first timer, what's a good target time for the century? Thanks!

Tags:

2. ohiojeff

ohiojeff New Member

in the USA a century is 100 miles, and we call 100k a metric century, so i guess it depends on the context and where you are from...

as far as time, it varies so much depending on the rout and whether that is hard to say. i will say that you should make sure to take your breaks, stay well within your own pace, and conserve energy. i did my first one in around 5 hours, stopping at the food stops every 25 or so miles, and resting to let my legs recover.

3. Canucklehead

Canucklehead New Member

5 hours is a pretty decent time ohiojeff - but, as you have pointed out, it depends on whether you are talking about a metric century or U.S. century (miles). I did my first century (miles) this past summer on my mountain bike in 8 hours. Yes, I'm new to the sport as well, am somewhat older (45) and did it on my mounatin bike. There were some folks who did it in 5 or 6 hours, and there were also some that came in at 9 or 10 hours. All depends on what you're out there for, what the course is like, etc. etc. A most enjoyable experience though - highly recommended. Good luck!

4. berzins

berzins New Member

A Century not only has a mandatory distance component, but a mandatory time component as well. It is my understanding that you have to complete 100 miles in less than 10 hours for it to be called a "Century." If you cycle 100 miles in 11 hours, it is called "cycling 100 miles in 11 hours."

As for Double Centuries, it is my understanding that you have to complete 200 miles in a 24-hour period.

5. Triplecentury

Triplecentury New Member

Most century riders finish in around 8 hours. Double typically take twice that, depending on the elevation gain. You finish time is generally determined by the club that sponsers the event as they are the one who have to stick around and wait for you.

I did my triple in 22 hours (Grand Tour) although there were several riders who logged 400 miles in under 24.

6. Geonz

Geonz New Member

Never heard the time limit before -- but most folks trying to do 100 miles should be averaging more than 10 mph even with stops and all.

7. rek

rek New Member

WHoooo!! Just did my first "real" century today :D For those in Melbourne, I went from Station Pier to Mordialloc and back (via Beach Rd) three times.

5hr 38min 58sec
    167.6km
    29.7km/h average speed
    141bpm average HR (my HRmax is 190)
    795m total vertical ascent (it's quite a flat route)

Weird thing was that at the end of it, I felt like I could probably go on and try for 200km. But I thought better of it ;)

Now please excuse me while I collapse on the floor and die :p

8. rolfdevinci

rolfdevinci New Member

Completed the Joe Howe century on September 21st. It was a PB for me in distance and average speed.....164.95 k`s in 5:24 with an average speed of 30.5. The group I rode with had targeted a 6 hour ride but the weather and road conditions were ideal. Guess everyone had their Wheaties for breakfast as well...lol.

9. Bruce Galloway

Bruce Galloway New Member

100 miles is based from the UK when distance riding started. 100 miles/160kms on good roads under 5.00 hours is considered up there. Taupo New Zealand has for the last 26 years run an event that is 100 miles held on the last weekend of November each year with in excess of 5000 riders taking place.Of which I have completed 9 times but not this year as I broke my collar bone last weekend ar a mountain bike event (the cat eye day/nighter)

All the best toes of New Zealand

(