"The Chain That Binds,Cycling and Coffee's Unlikely Partnership"Article in Fresh Cup Magazine--No au

SMS

Guest
There's a good article about bicycling and coffee in this month's _Fresh
Cup_ magazine. Naturally it mentions "http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com"!

I was interviewed by the author for the article, though only a little of
the interview made it into the article. No autographs please.

Note: helmets are mentioned in the article only once, in the context of
coffee house owners being advised to have hooks for cyclists to hang
their helmets, jackets, etc.

Whole populations surveys shows that cyclists that drink coffee live longer.

The article is at:
"http://www.freshcup.com/back-issues/2008/2008-03/chain_that_binds.htm"

SMS wrote:

> Whole populations surveys shows that cyclists that drink coffee live
> longer.

Finally a study beyond reproach!

SMS wrote:
-snip-
> Whole populations surveys shows that cyclists that drink coffee live
> longer.
> The article is at:
> "http://www.freshcup.com/back-issues/2008/2008-03/chain_that_binds.htm"

If I quit my 4-5 double espresso/day habit I might be spared the last
few years of babbling and drooling in a diaper? Gotta think about that...
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

In article <[email protected]>,
A Muzi <[email protected]> writes:
> SMS wrote:
> -snip-
>> Whole populations surveys shows that cyclists that drink coffee live
>> longer.
>> The article is at:
>> "http://www.freshcup.com/back-issues/2008/2008-03/chain_that_binds.htm"

> If I quit my 4-5 double espresso/day habit I might be spared the last
> few years of babbling and drooling in a diaper? Gotta think about that...

I don't believe diapers are meant for
babbling & drooling into. However,
I suppose it could be done. Maybe it
could even become an art form. Maybe
Alan Ginsberg has already done it.
I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyways a nice cuppa quoffee is for enjoying
right now, not some time in the distant future.

If I wanted to extend my allotted time in this
vale of tears, lose weight and ward off various
cancers, I'd switch to green tea. But I don't
gotta do any o' that razmatazz. Besides, the
political encumberances & ramifications of
the coffee trade are well-documented. I'm not
so sure about green tea.

So <raising my Bean Around The World travel mug>
here's to our affection for a good cup of eye-opener.

Sometimes green tea is nice too. Especially after
eating curried stuff.

cheers,
Tom
--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Mar 9, 3:30 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> There's a good article about bicycling and coffee in this month's _Fresh
> Cup_ magazine. Naturally it mentions "http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com"!
>
> I was interviewed by the author for the article, though only a little of
> the interview made it into the article. No autographs please.

We'll just bask in your fame. At the crossroads: "Oh, Steven, yeah, I
know him. He's a cafe racer. Mind you, I bought the lights he
recommended for my bike. He knows about bike lights and coffee."

> Whole populations surveys shows that cyclists that drink coffee live longer.

This sort of statement is not permitted in the Krygo-Fogel Skool of
Obstruktive Statistiks. See, high blood pressure kills people, regular
exercise lowers blood pressure, bicyling is the best exercise after
housework, the relationship of coffee intake to high blood pressure
is mysterious, so therefore drinking ocffee kills cyclists. QED, a
famous case study in the Krygo-Fogel Skool of Obstruktive Statistiks.

Andre Jute
Merit Certifikate of Obfuskashun, Krygo-Fogel Skool of Obstruktive
Statistiks

Not sent to aus.bicycle -- sorry, I can only send to five groups

"One more cup of coffee for the road,
One more cup of coffee 'fore I go
To the valley below."
Bob Dylan, 1975

I just had to post this.

73, doug

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 08:30:35 -0700, SMS wrote:

> There's a good article about bicycling and coffee in this month's _Fresh
> Cup_ magazine. Naturally it mentions "http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com"!
>
> I was interviewed by the author for the article, though only a little of
> the interview made it into the article. No autographs please.
>
> Note: helmets are mentioned in the article only once, in the context of
> coffee house owners being advised to have hooks for cyclists to hang
> their helmets, jackets, etc.
>
> Whole populations surveys shows that cyclists that drink coffee live
> longer.
>
> The article is at:
> "http://www.freshcup.com/back-issues/2008/2008-03/chain_that_binds.htm"

That's funny, I was just thinking recently that if i opened a bike shop
round here, that a coffee shop would complement it perfectly.

"me" <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's funny, I was just thinking recently that if i opened a bike shop
> round here, that a coffee shop would complement it perfectly.

Don't know where 'here' is, but it has been done, quite successfully:
http://www.cogbikecafe.com.au/

Beside the Warburton Rail Trail at Mt Evelyn, a very cool coffee shop.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

On Mar 9, 2:38 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> SMS wrote:
> > Whole populations surveys shows that cyclists that drink coffee live
> > longer.

> Finally a study beyond reproach!

I think it leaves a lot unanswered. For example, there's no
indication of the relation between cycling exercise and the amount of
coffee consumed. Can you compensate for not being able to get on the
bike by drinking more coffee? How many cups of coffee would you need
to drink to equal a three hour ride? A lot of research remains to be
done and a Chung chart created.

RicodJour wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2:38 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> SMS wrote:
>>> Whole populations surveys shows that cyclists that drink coffee live
>>> longer.

>> Finally a study beyond reproach!

> I think it leaves a lot unanswered. For example, there's no
> indication of the relation between cycling exercise and the amount of
> coffee consumed. Can you compensate for not being able to get on the
> bike by drinking more coffee? How many cups of coffee would you need
> to drink to equal a three hour ride? A lot of research remains to be
> done and a Chung chart created.

Don't forget a comparison of the effects of robusta versus arabica.

PeteSig wrote:

> "me" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> That's funny, I was just thinking recently that if i opened a
>> bike shop round here, that a coffee shop would complement it
>> perfectly.

> Don't know where 'here' is, but it has been done, quite
> successfully: http://www.cogbikecafe.com.au/
>
> Beside the Warburton Rail Trail at Mt Evelyn, a very cool
> coffee shop.

For non-Victorians, wondering about its whereabouts:
http://www.railtrails.org.au/states/trails.php3?action=trail&trail=6

John

> That's funny, I was just thinking recently that if i opened a bike
> shop
> round here, that a coffee shop would complement it perfectly.

Bristol UK has a combined bike/coffee shop, The Mud Dock. Ideal for
the bike poseur who wants to keep their bike immaculately clean.
Just sit by the dock, looking at the boats, and drinking coffee,
rather than actually riding.

Jeremy Parker

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> writes:

> > That's funny, I was just thinking recently that if i opened a bike
> > shop
> > round here, that a coffee shop would complement it perfectly.

> Bristol UK has a combined bike/coffee shop, The Mud Dock. Ideal for
> the bike poseur who wants to keep their bike immaculately clean.
> Just sit by the dock, looking at the boats, and drinking coffee,
> rather than actually riding.

Back in the day, many folding bike rides started or ended there.

73, doug

On Mar 9, 7:28 pm, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> We'll just bask in your fame. At the crossroads: "Oh, Steven, yeah, I
> know him. He's a cafe racer. Mind you, I bought the lights he
> recommended for my bike. He knows about bike lights and coffee."

World fame apparently. I'm in Taipei now for the big international
bicycle show, and I was talking to an Australian at one of the booths.
He consults for a Taiwanese company that exports double-wall vacuum
bottles and a special cage attachment. I mentioned that his product
belonged on my web site, and he of course asked about the web site,
and when I told him the URL, he said, "you must be Steve, I've been to
your site. It's famous."

His product is at "http://www.ibera.info/products.php?
action=show&pid=54".