The cheapest good bike you ever bought...

less'go

Sep 11, 2003
I'm curious because my eyes kind of pop out when I see the price of bikes that most posters are talking about.

So, did you ever buy a cheap bike that gave you satisfaction? How much, how good, and how long did it last?

Sara

Originally posted by less'go
I'm curious because my eyes kind of pop out when I see the price of bikes that most posters are talking about.

So, did you ever buy a cheap bike that gave you satisfaction? How much, how good, and how long did it last?

Sara
I have alot of the 'better' stuff. I also get alot of grins from an old quality lugged and brazed steel frame made by a a small builder in Calif. I bought it with a mix of old and new campy. Price was $10 at a garage sale and all it needed was air in the tires and a new saddle. I ride it regularly and love it as much as the old original owner did. It could last forever.

Sara

The cheepest bike I ever rode for a long time was free. We got it playing a game call for bigger or better, start with a golf tee, knock on people's doors and ask if they would trade for some thing bigger or better than what you have. Eventually got a really old kuahara ten speed which I rode 30Km every day for a year. Just got my new bike though so the free-bee has been retired.

Found a Trek 520 with a Reynolds 531 frame and Shimano equipment (old DT shifters....6spd freewheel) at a garage sale for $25 bucks.

I ride it in the crappy weather now....good ride!

All right, keep it coming here, now we're getting down to the good stuff. Good old, or new, faithfuls that didn't cost us an arm and a leg...

I guess my 30$ (new) bike was highly overrated... I could ask another question: what's the heaviest bike you ever rode? :)

Originally posted by hERZaUSsTAHL
I guess my 30$ (new) bike was highly overrated... I could ask another question: what's the heaviest bike you ever rode? :)

Just a sec and I'll tell you...

17 kilos + all my stuff (saddlebags, panier, kid seat = occasional kid...)

Goin to borrow a neighbor's Gazelle this weekend, that must weigh atleast 20-25.

And you?

Around 1985 I saw an ad for an Italian Racing Bike for $75.00 in a local sale paper. I assumed in would be an old rusty bike that someone had pulled out of the basement. Some of my friends noticed the ad and remarked that it was probably a piece of junk from a yard sale .I called and obtained directions to the sellers house. When I arrived discovered a Trek 460 ,not Italian, all American Racing Frame and about a year old. I didn't try to bargain with him I knew this was an excellent buy and well worth $75.00. I rode the bike about 200 miles a week for 6 years and then off and on until I practically quit riding for some time. It does not compare with my kg 261 that I ride now but at that time it was a great bike.I still have the bike. It holds a lot of fond memories.

Does salvaged count? I have a great Trek 750 Multi Hybrid. It needed a new chain & a scewer. I replaced the handlebars with some Scott AT-4 handlebars. I didn't like the grip shifters so replaced them with Suntour thum shifter. It's a great commuter.

I reckon this qualifies as an "almost" story:

Coming out of a bar on Monday night I saw a saddle poking out of the top of a dumpster. I climb up and see a not too trashed Raleigh M40 mountain bike with Acera components (v-brakes 7 speed indexed shifting triple) and RST cheapo elastomer front shock. To top it off, the janitor comes out with another load of "junk" and says go for it. Only problem was I was in this town on business and had to fly back so I passed. The more I thought about it later on I decided to go back the next day, but alas it was gone by then.

Unknown Chromoly framed road bike when I was a kid. Free. given to me by my brother. Built up with parts pulled from junk bins and bikes I had found thrown out.

Another anonymous bike (nothing special) which I road in Columbus.... Free. Pulled out of a dumpster during the big end of semester OSU student moveout (also got TVs, VCRs, Stereos, Computers and parts, furniture, dishes, lamps, etc. etc... dontcha just love kids that like to throw out their parents' money?)

Very nice, light Univega ("Gran Primeo I think?") Picked up complete at a GoodWill thrift store for $20. This was a great bike, very light and the perfect fit.... unfortunately I decided to repaint the frame a while back and the &(*&(&%^ thing fell off a railing in the process, landing on one of the rear dropouts which bent and cracked.

"Grocery getter" three speed. Local bike shop is going out of business. I managed to get a grocery getter AMF 3 speed: $50. Huge Gigantic double rear cargo basket: $25. Drop bars: free, leftover from the Univega. Bar tape: free, leftover from planned Univega rebuild and restoration.

I knew it! keep it coming. This is the "Ode to my Cheap Bike" thread. Continue to sing the glory of these basic machines that get you from point a to point b. They deserve the there 15 minutes, don't they?

:)

Old Raleigh International, late 60's frame with the name in script. Bought it when I got to college, must have traveled half of South Florida on that bike. I forget what I paid for it, I think it was $75. Eventually, I gave the frame away. Kinda wish I'd kept it now.

Sara

I just thought of another super satisfying free ride!
I'm from Victoria B.C. Canada, and we used to have a "Blue Bike" Program here. The deal was that there were a bunch of painted blue bikes in town that people could just ride. If you see one pick it up and ride to get to where you're going, then leave it leaning against somthing for the next person. The whole thing was being maintained by this great guy who's name I don't recall but I believe he fell ill and re-collected the bikes because he couldn't do the up keep anymore. I did read that he is thinking about starting it up again though which would be fabulous as it was most conveinient!
Josh.

Sara

For myself, so far the best cheap bike I purchased has been a Schwinn Ranger 2.6 FS I have at this time covered close to 2000 miles and is still running strong. So far so good, though in the future I am looking at taking the next step. So that is kinda my two cents. Still riding it too.

Ray

I got a Italian Racing Bike Casati Ellisse Genius with campy and higher end shimano for 200.00 out of my pocket and three hours labor. then he threw in 180.00 shoes and speedplay pedals.

Originally posted by rlmarr
For myself, so far the best cheap bike I purchased has been a Schwinn Ranger 2.6 FS I have at this time covered close to 2000 miles and is still running strong. So far so good, though in the future I am looking at taking the next step. So that is kinda my two cents. Still riding it too.

Ray

The next step being a bike in the ???.?? range?

Sara

Sara

A department store Raleigh that I bought for $160.00 and commuted on for a year. I rode it about 30 miles a day even through the winter so I guess I got my moneys worth. It never really inspired me to want to ride like my current road bike though. I also had a Huffy mountain bike that was only ridden twice that I bought for $50. I actually rode it quite a bit recently while rebuilding my Cannondale. I must admit I got a lot of wierd looks with a huffy on my Yakima roof rack from people trying to figure out why I have a rack that cost a few hundred dollars for a $50 bike. Not being one to be too concerned about other peoples opinion though I usually get a kick out people looking at me like I'm out of my mind.

Matt

Sara

My cheapest bike that I enjoyed, is the one I'm still riding (35 000km). Custom built Gardin (Joe is now dead :( so guess my frame is rare). I actually watched it being made. Got my frame at cost, $1000CND.....

Memph

The next step being a bike in the ???.?? range?

Sara

That in and of itself is the challenge I am still attending to. More then likely at least mid range. It is all dependant on many variables. Thanks for the response.

Ray
:cool: