the commute

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by aeek, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Started thinking how cycling-spoilt I am. One way to work is about 14km of parkland path & 1.5km of road. Don't go that way anymore. Instead, do 17km of road & onroad cyclelane, past bushland, via the city with 200?m of path.
    Maybe 50 driveways & 15 sideroads, stuff all really. Oh, and sometimes a cyclist-sized dead kangaroo to make one think. Just your typical urban ride?!?

    Tags:

  2. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    That's Canberra for you. I was there 20 years ago and used to commute from Mawson in the south to Macarthur House in Lyneham in the north. Even then it was mostly parkland path with just a little bit of onroad. (Bought the bike from Geoff Emmerton Cycles in Fyshwick - I doubt he's still there). The other thing about Canberra was that the drivers there seemed less intent on driving over cyclists than in other Australian cities I have lived in.

    SteveA

  3. Evan

    Evan Guest

    I have a 15k commute here in Perth. However my cyclist sized kangaroos
    are generally alive. I'm just waiting for the day one of them has a go
    at me after I sneak up on it. Could be messy.

    aeek wrote:
    > Started thinking how cycling-spoilt I am. One way to work is about 14km
    > of parkland path & 1.5km of road. Don't go that way anymore. Instead,
    > do 17km of road & onroad cyclelane, past bushland, via the city with
    > 200?m of path.
    > Maybe 50 driveways & 15 sideroads, stuff all really. Oh, and sometimes
    > a cyclist-sized dead kangaroo to make one think. Just your typical
    > urban ride?!?

  4. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Are these the sort of cyclist sized kangaroos that wander aimlessly across bike paths, often wearing headphones and totally oblivious to all around?

  5. Paul J

    Paul J New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003