The Courier Mail - Adventure - Doing the city cycle

ghostgum

New Member
Aug 30, 2005
http://escape.news.com.au/story/0,9142,18910060-5002900,00.html

Doing the city cycle

By Martin Buzacott
April 22, 2006

HANDING over $36 for the short trip by taxi from suburban Balmoral to Brisbane Airport, I realised something had to be done.

Ahead of me lay two months of constant travel to all of Australia's state capitals, interviewing veterans of the ABC for a book that I'm writing on the national broadcaster.

With moths flying out of my wallet before even leaving Brisbane, I reviewed my first day's schedule of meetings, which consisted of six appointments in five different Melbourne suburbs, some 15km apart.

By my frantic mental arithmetic, that amounted to an additional $150 in cab fares that day alone, and it wasn't much less if I hired a car and paid for petrol and parking.

Within the day's tight time-frame, buses, trains and trams weren't an option, either.

At home in Brisbane I regularly cycle for fitness and pleasure, so doing business by bike made sense both financially and in terms of lifestyle.

By hiring hybrids (a cross between mountain and road bikes) I could go just about anywhere on the bikeways that Australia's local authorities have been building in recent years.

In the end I cycled more than 1500km through all five of Australia's interstate capitals.

[follow link for rest of article]
http://escape.news.com.au/story/0,9142,18910060-5002900,00.html

Sounds as though you need a Brompton or a Bike Friday to take on your
travels, then you can ride to and from the airports as well. . . :)
Although any bike in a box travels for the same price these days, they are a
lot quicker to get on the road.

news:[email protected]...

ghostgum wrote:
> http://escape.news.com.au/story/0,9142,18910060-5002900,00.html
>
> Doing the city cycle
>
> By Martin Buzacott
> April 22, 2006
>
> HANDING over $36 for the short trip by taxi from suburban Balmoral to
> Brisbane Airport, I realised something had to be done.
>
> Ahead of me lay two months of constant travel to all of Australia's
> state capitals, interviewing veterans of the ABC for a book that I'm
> writing on the national broadcaster.
>
> With moths flying out of my wallet before even leaving Brisbane, I
> reviewed my first day's schedule of meetings, which consisted of six
> appointments in five different Melbourne suburbs, some 15km apart.
>
> By my frantic mental arithmetic, that amounted to an additional $150
> in cab fares that day alone, and it wasn't much less if I hired a car
> and paid for petrol and parking.
>
> Within the day's tight time-frame, buses, trains and trams weren't an
> option, either.
>
> At home in Brisbane I regularly cycle for fitness and pleasure, so
> doing business by bike made sense both financially and in terms of
> lifestyle.

*cough* *choke* *splutter*

Are you sure this is from the Courier Mail ? ;o)

If my life incorpoated travel like that it'd be a Bike Friday / Brompton
time for sure.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

ghostgum wrote:

> http://escape.news.com.au/story/0,9142,18910060-5002900,00.html
>
> Doing the city cycle
>
> By Martin Buzacott
> April 22, 2006
>
> HANDING over $36 for the short trip by taxi from suburban Balmoral to
> Brisbane Airport, I realised something had to be done.

<snip>
Hey cool, now I know how much it'd cost to get from my place to the
airport by taxi, without actually having to do it...

Tam