The craziest/dangerous thing a cyclist could do

I was on a ride with a friend yesterday in San Mateo County, CA. We were riding down Kings Mtn Rd (4.6 miles in length, -7% grade) and we got passed by a cyclist doing about 45 mph. At the bottom of the road, it ended in a t-intersection with a stop sign for us and NO stop sign for the cross traffic. Anyway, this cyclist blew through the intersection and continued at a high rate of speed. We were about a minute behind the cyclist, we saw him blow the stop sign, and then a car going about 40 mph going through the intersection. If the cyclist was a minute slower, he would have been plastered all over the road. At any rate, this is what gives cyclists a bad rep and both my friend and I thought, "what a crazy fool".

Crazy fool - yes and maybe.

Yes based on accepted "convention" - i.e. the rules of the road - he took excessive risk to his (and others) well being by not following the rules. However, following the rules (stopping) is also no guarantee that his safety would have been assured. Instead of his stupidity, a motorist(s) in cross traffic could be traveling at 3x the legal speed and hit him because the cyclist miscalculates the closing rate for the open space available to cross the road . In that scenario he may shift the responsibility for the outcome, but not necessarily reduce the risk.

No doubt, he would say his field of vision at the intersection allowed him to "judge" cross traffic and determine he had plenty of margin to cross without stopping for further inspection. Again, an assumption based on others following a set of rules that he is not.

The other explanation is that he wasn't paying attention and didn't see the stop sign. It happens ... sometimes with great tragedy.

Originally Posted by sitzmark .
The other explanation is that he wasn't paying attention and didn't see the stop sign. It happens ... sometimes with great tragedy.
And... another explaination would be that the cyclist froze. Maybe he was riding over his skill level and was just too afraid to move his fingers to brake.

Reactions: Corzhens
And... another explaination would be that the cyclist froze. Maybe he was riding over his skill level and was just too afraid to move his fingers to brake.

I agree to that situation which is common for new bikers. I remember forgetting the brakes when I first rode a bike with my friends in the city street. Maybe I was enthralled with the experience that I was surprised when everyone took a turn that I had to brake so I could make the turn myself. But it seemed that my foot did not cooperate with the foot brake and I skidded when I turned the wheel. Fortunately I did not suffer a fall for I was able to prop myself with my leg. And that made me realize that sometimes you can forget your motor skills.

Yeah, always keep your speed in check when biking. It's not only for your safety, but also for the sake of the pedestrians as well as people in their cars. Imagine what those driving would think had they hit the guy cycling - you'll still feel guilty even if you're not the one in the wrong at that situation.