The creation that changes cycling forever could be in this thread.



::dom::

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
789
4
0
I was wondering, seeing as we are a group of the most passionate, informed and creative cycling nuts, if we could come up with ideas that would improve cycling for every one (or just you). A mass bike brainstorming session.

Here's the brief:

Invent, create, design or suggest a device, piece of equipment, improvement or idea... anything... that will have a positive effect on cycling or cyclists.

There is no budget it can cost as much or as little as necessary.

The ideas can be serious, fun, frivilous, stooopid, wacky, practical, impractical, off the wall, totally wild, dead boring, expensive, cheap or free.

Here's a starter: An Amphibious bike "The Sub-Cycle" that you can ride underwater. There could be a coastal version fitted with snorkling gear and a deep sea version with SCUBA.

And another: Brown (or dark coloured) pads in bike shorts... seeing as most of us don't wear any underwear.
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
Dominic Sansom said:
And another: Brown (or dark coloured) pads in bike shorts... seeing as most of us don't wear any underwear.

but why brown? :rolleyes:

a tyre that never flats. no really!

One of them shockwave windup guns outta 'Minority report' to push cars away :D

A device called a 'Bikemon' so that all kids would be interested ;)

Seen Burrows' latest effort? city bike that has torsional suspension and an encased chain/casing that doubles as the only chainstay. He loves his one-sided hubs/wheels
 
D

DJ

Guest
"Dominic Sansom" <D[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:D[email protected]
>
> I was wondering, seeing as we are a group of the most passionate,
> informed and creative cycling nuts, if we could come up with ideas that
> would improve cycling for every one (or just you). A mass bike
> brainstorming session.
>
> Here's the brief:
>
> Invent, create, design or suggest a device, piece of equipment,
> improvement, and idea... anything... that will have a positive effect
> on cycling or cyclists.
>
> There is no budget it can cost as much or as little as necessary.
>
> The ideas can be serious, fun, frivilous, stooopid, wacky, practical,
> impractical, off the wall, totally wild, dead boring, expensive, cheap
> or free.
>
> Here's a starter: An Amphibious bike "The Sub-Cycle" that you can ride
> underwater. There could be a coastal version fitted with snorkling gear
> and a deep sea version with SCUBA.
>
> And another: Brown (or dark coloured) pads in bike shorts... seeing as
> most of us don't wear any underwear.
>
>
> --
> Dominic Sansom
>


Ok, now these are kinda already invented, but with a bit of fine tuning
would be very welcoming:

Mercedes Benz now have radar on their vehicles to judge whether they are too
close to a car infront and will auto brake accordingly to the traffic
conditions, so, with a bit of tweaking, they can be also cyclist sensitive
so that when it detects a cyclists, the car automatically slows or stops to
avoid hitting us.

These gadgets should be mandatory on all motorcars new and existing
irrespective of the cost or perhaps the government can give us a one off
rebate through rego time to have them fitted.

These could also be fine tuned as well for pedestrians..but hey...one thing
at a time ok

DJ
 
D

DJ

Guest
"Dominic Sansom" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:D[email protected]
>
> I was wondering, seeing as we are a group of the most passionate,
> informed and creative cycling nuts, if we could come up with ideas that
> would improve cycling for every one (or just you). A mass bike
> brainstorming session.
>
> Here's the brief:
>
> Invent, create, design or suggest a device, piece of equipment,
> improvement, and idea... anything... that will have a positive effect
> on cycling or cyclists.
>
> There is no budget it can cost as much or as little as necessary.
>
> The ideas can be serious, fun, frivilous, stooopid, wacky, practical,
> impractical, off the wall, totally wild, dead boring, expensive, cheap
> or free.
>
> Here's a starter: An Amphibious bike "The Sub-Cycle" that you can ride
> underwater. There could be a coastal version fitted with snorkling gear
> and a deep sea version with SCUBA.
>
> And another: Brown (or dark coloured) pads in bike shorts... seeing as
> most of us don't wear any underwear.
>
>
> --
> Dominic Sansom
>


Ok, now these are kinda already invented, but with a bit of fine tuning
would be very welcoming:

Mercedes Benz now have radar on their vehicles to judge whether they are too
close to a car infront and will auto brake accordingly to the traffic
conditions, so, with a bit of tweaking, they can be also cyclist sensitive
so that when it detects a cyclists, the car automatically slows or stops to
avoid hitting us.

These gadgets should be mandatory on all motorcars new and existing
irrespective of the cost or perhaps the government can give us a one off
rebate through rego time to have them fitted.

These could also be fine tuned as well for pedestrians..but hey...one thing
at a time ok

DJ
 
H

HUMBUG

Guest
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 06:45:38 +1000, Dominic Sansom <[email protected]> Wrote :
>
> I was wondering, seeing as we are a group of the most passionate,
> informed and creative cycling nuts, if we could come up with ideas that
> would improve cycling for every one (or just you). A mass bike
> brainstorming session.
>
> Here's the brief:
>
> Invent, create, design or suggest a device, piece of equipment,
> improvement, and idea... anything... that will have a positive effect
> on cycling or cyclists.
>


Working vision for all road users. Better yet - working vision AND hearing
and the ability to act on what they're hearing / seeing.


--

Humbug
 
H

hippy

Guest
"Dominic Sansom" <[email protected]
> wrote >
> And another: Brown (or dark coloured) pads in bike shorts... seeing as
> most of us don't wear any underwear.


Cannibal had a batch of shorts with black chamois.
They've gone back to the off white ones now though.
I think my old Netti's had a black chamois too..?

hippy
 

::dom::

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
789
4
0
hippy said:
I think my old Netti's had a black chamois too..?

hippy

My new-ish Nettis have blue, ribbed, chamois which is not bad. Although the overlock stitching gathers the edge of the chamois and sometimes (depending on how I'm sitting) feels a bit prickly.
 

Marx SS

New Member
Jun 8, 2004
810
0
0
Adhesive chamois, so you can ride in bike nicks, shorts, trousers, slacks, jeans , everything (the adhesive chamois sticks to your ****).

Also road bike cleats with a retractable heel, so walking to the counter to pay for your cappachino isn't fraught with danger.

Cabling inside the frame tubes.
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
Marx SS said:
Adhesive chamois
.

Ive seen employees who act like adhesive chamois!

Marx SS said:
Also road bike cleats with a retractable heel, so walking to the counter to pay for your cappachino isn't fraught with danger.

OKaaaaaay!. "I dont think this is Kansas anymore, Dorothy":rolleyes:

Marx SS said:
Cabling inside the frame tubes.

Wow. my current roady is ahead of the times!!! :D :D :D
 

aeek

New Member
Jun 15, 2004
757
0
0
Dominic Sansom said:
And another: Brown (or dark coloured) pads in bike shorts... seeing as most of us don't wear any underwear.

totally wrong, encourages not washing and nasty boils etc.
bidet knicks! or even knicks that automatically brown spot to encourage washing.
What we really want is a chamois that metabolises skidmarks and produces a positive byproduct - an energy boost, delactating the legs - the most flatulent rider wins the race, that would change cycling forever.
 
A

Alex

Guest
"Marx SS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> Adhesive chamois, so you can ride in bike nicks, shorts, trousers,
> slacks, jeans , everything (the adhesive chamois sticks to your ****).
>
>
> Also road bike cleats with a retractable heel, so walking to the
> counter to pay for your cappachino isn't fraught with danger.
>
> Cabling inside the frame tubes.
>
>
> --
> Marx SS



A shoes that is rigid when clicked in and bends when not for comfy walking
 
A

Alex

Guest
"Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Marx SS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Adhesive chamois, so you can ride in bike nicks, shorts, trousers,
> > slacks, jeans , everything (the adhesive chamois sticks to your ****).
> >
> >
> > Also road bike cleats with a retractable heel, so walking to the
> > counter to pay for your cappachino isn't fraught with danger.
> >
> > Cabling inside the frame tubes.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Marx SS

>
>
> A shoes that is rigid when clicked in and bends when not for comfy walking
>


had a few more ideas (not bad for early morning...those new coffee grounds
must be good...)

cool looking, light, breathable (really breathable, not 'gortex'
breathable...), waterproof clothes that offer protection from road-rash or
impacts. A glowing version for night rides too.

bikes that store energy from downhills to use on uphills

compulsory legislation for showers/changerooms/brekkie provision at work to
encourage commuting

sunnies that allow you you to adjust the amount of light you want to filter
without changing lenses. Simillar effect to welding goggles that have
immediate effect when sensing light. Cool if they could repel water as well
so you could ride in the rain with being blinded.

Something to repel maggies...got swooped for the first time this season the
other day while riding up Norton Summit road :(
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
Alex said:
Something to repel maggies...got swooped for the first time this season the
other day while riding up Norton Summit road :(

I love norton Summit. why cant we have 'the Melbourne hills' like the 'Adelaide Hills' just at our doorstep scattered with bakeries
 
P

Parbs

Guest
"Alex" wrote in message ...
>
>
> had a few more ideas (not bad for early morning...those new coffee grounds
> must be good...)
>
> cool looking, light, breathable (really breathable, not 'gortex'
> breathable...), waterproof clothes that offer protection from road-rash or
> impacts. A glowing version for night rides too.


Cool looking, breathable, water proof - Choose any two?

> bikes that store energy from downhills to use on uphills


Mine already does, just not for very long.

> compulsory legislation for showers/changerooms/brekkie provision at work to encourage commuting.
> sunnies that allow you you to adjust the amount of light you want to filter
> without changing lenses. Simillar effect to welding goggles that have
> immediate effect when sensing light. Cool if they could repel water as well
> so you could ride in the rain with being blinded.
>

Like these?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/news/jun08b

> Something to repel maggies...got swooped for the first time this season the
> other day while riding up Norton Summit road :(
 
L

Laurence Dodd

Guest
My idea, which I think I first had perhaps three or four years ago, is to
build a montrosity of a road way for cycles.
Basically, think of two giant parallel ramps in opposite directions that
span at least 30 km (to make them practical). The downside is that
something so big would be a blight on the environment to build and to live
in the shadow of. Imagine this thing putting its shadow over Logan and
Brisbane. Personally, I think this is why it should not be built.
In theory, the idea is that each ramp would span a high density population
area and have elevators from the ground up to the roadway at various points
along the ramp. One would take the nearest elevator up to the ramp roadway
(the ramp going down in the direction they wish to travel). Once you roll
onto the surface of the ramp from the elevator you can roll down all the way
to the exit you wish to take, or until the last exit where the ramp reaches
the ground level. These ramps could even be covered for wind and rain
protection to allow all weather, high speed, long distance commuting. Just
to make sure you get the gist of this idea, the purpose is that one only
rides downhill for the whole commute along the ramp. Each ramp is one
direction only, down, and would have merging lanes from each elevator, and a
braking lane on the approach to each elevator. You could consider it an
elevated highway for cycles. However, I am more inclined to favor the
decentralisation of administration and industry so that each local area
hires its local people for local business. This is a local shop, we'll have
no trouble here!


"Dominic Sansom" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:D[email protected]
>
> I was wondering, seeing as we are a group of the most passionate,
> informed and creative cycling nuts, if we could come up with ideas that
> would improve cycling for every one (or just you). A mass bike
> brainstorming session.
>
> Here's the brief:
>
> Invent, create, design or suggest a device, piece of equipment,
> improvement, and idea... anything... that will have a positive effect
> on cycling or cyclists.
>
> There is no budget it can cost as much or as little as necessary.
>
> The ideas can be serious, fun, frivilous, stooopid, wacky, practical,
> impractical, off the wall, totally wild, dead boring, expensive, cheap
> or free.
>
> Here's a starter: An Amphibious bike "The Sub-Cycle" that you can ride
> underwater. There could be a coastal version fitted with snorkling gear
> and a deep sea version with SCUBA.
>
> And another: Brown (or dark coloured) pads in bike shorts... seeing as
> most of us don't wear any underwear.
>
>
> --
> Dominic Sansom
>
 
M

Marty Wallace

Guest
"Laurence Dodd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My idea, which I think I first had perhaps three or four years ago, is to
> build a montrosity of a road way for cycles.
> Basically, think of two giant parallel ramps in opposite directions that
> span at least 30 km (to make them practical). The downside is that
> something so big would be a blight on the environment to build and to live
> in the shadow of. Imagine this thing putting its shadow over Logan and
> Brisbane. Personally, I think this is why it should not be built.
> In theory, the idea is that each ramp would span a high density population
> area and have elevators from the ground up to the roadway at various

points
> along the ramp. One would take the nearest elevator up to the ramp

roadway
> (the ramp going down in the direction they wish to travel). Once you roll
> onto the surface of the ramp from the elevator you can roll down all the

way
> to the exit you wish to take, or until the last exit where the ramp

reaches
> the ground level. These ramps could even be covered for wind and rain
> protection to allow all weather, high speed, long distance commuting.

Just
> to make sure you get the gist of this idea, the purpose is that one only
> rides downhill for the whole commute along the ramp. Each ramp is one
> direction only, down, and would have merging lanes from each elevator, and

a
> braking lane on the approach to each elevator. You could consider it an
> elevated highway for cycles. However, I am more inclined to favor the
> decentralisation of administration and industry so that each local area
> hires its local people for local business. This is a local shop, we'll

have
> no trouble here!
>
>


An easier and cheaper variation on this is to have two tubes or tunnels
running parallel to each other. Each tube is big enough for cyclists to ride
in with room to overtake. A tube would have fans at each end, one sucking
and the other blowing so as to cause a strong tailwind that blows the
cyclists along from one end to the other. The other tube is to travel in the
opposite direction. You have entry doors along the way so that other cycle
traffic can join in. You'd be protected from the weather too. The tubes
could be made of perspex so you can still enjoy the view.

Marty ( I have a dream) Wallace
 
H

hovil de cosa

Guest
On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 06:45:38 +1000, Dominic Sansom wrote:
> Here's the brief:
>
> Invent, create, design or suggest a device, piece of equipment,
> improvement, and idea... anything... that will have a positive effect on
> cycling or cyclists.


Some kind of highly explosive rocket powered magpie annihilation device
would be a winner.
 

aeek

New Member
Jun 15, 2004
757
0
0
Marty Wallace said:
running parallel to each other. Each tube is big enough for cyclists to ride
in with room to overtake. A tube would have fans at each end, one sucking
and the other blowing so as to cause a strong tailwind that blows the

no room to overtake - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Just like travelators, you'll have some people who don't bother pedalling.
Mix this with those who are going for their personal speed record.
Cyclorage is a good thing ????
 
M

Marty Wallace

Guest
"aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> Marty Wallace Wrote:
> >
> > running parallel to each other. Each tube is big enough for cyclists to
> > ride
> > in with room to overtake. A tube would have fans at each end, one
> > sucking
> > and the other blowing so as to cause a strong tailwind that blows the
> >

>
> no room to overtake - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
> Just like travelators, you'll have some people who don't bother
> pedalling.
> Mix this with those who are going for their personal speed record.
> Cyclorage is a good thing ????
>
>
> --
> aeek
>


You didn't read it properly. It says "Each tube is big enough for cyclists
to ride in, with room to overtake."

Marty