the cycle politic?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by G.Daniels, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    do arabs ride bicycles? where, how many in relation to singapore, are arabs interested in fuel
    conservation? have arabs demonstrated a concern for maintaining ecological balance? do arabs ride in
    the european cycling series? are there any arab bicycle production facilities-designers. convert
    arab to muslim where necessary. are discussions of these questions limited to rock throwing? as
    trujillo once said "hey dude,you peel it and the choices begin to narrow." daniels the
    lebanese-tunisian.

    Tags:

  2. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Arab countries have not produced societies economically successful enough to bicycle (or do much of
    anything else) for pleasure. Nor have they produced much of value to the world. The combined
    economic output of the 20-odd arab countries roughly equals that of Spain.

    Do arab (or muslim persian) countries ride for practical purposes like, say, China? You certainly
    don't see as much of it. That's a good question.

    "g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > do arabs ride bicycles? where, how many in relation to singapore, are arabs interested in fuel
    > conservation? have arabs demonstrated a concern for maintaining ecological balance? do arabs ride
    > in the european cycling series? are there any arab bicycle production facilities-designers.
    > convert arab to muslim where necessary. are discussions of these questions limited to rock
    > throwing? as trujillo once said "hey dude,you peel it and the choices begin to narrow." daniels
    > the lebanese-tunisian.

  3. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    g.daniels wrote:
    > do arabs ride bicycles? [...] do arabs ride in the european cycling series?

    IIRC, there were entrants in the 1984 Olympic road race visibly from Saudi Arabia (I think they had
    the words "Saudi Arabia" on their uniforms, but the memory fades. I was watching at the roadside).
    also, again IIRC, they got dropped in relatively few laps.

    Regards,
    --
    Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

  4. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    g.daniels wrote:
    > do arabs ride bicycles?

    Sand and heat, perhaps.

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

    >g.daniels wrote:
    >> do arabs ride bicycles?
    >
    >Sand and heat, perhaps.

    Probably has more to do with the Arab drivers. According to expatriates I know who lived in Saudi,
    the road is full of the largest possible SUVs being driven at suicidal speeds, with little or no
    regard for any rule of traffic law (such as obeying traffic lights).

    That would be enough to cut down MY mileage! ;-)

  6. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > do arabs ride bicycles? where, how many in relation to singapore, are arabs interested in fuel
    > conservation? have arabs demonstrated a concern for maintaining ecological balance? do arabs ride
    > in the european cycling series? are there any arab bicycle production facilities-designers.
    > convert arab to muslim where necessary. are discussions of these questions limited to rock
    > throwing? as trujillo once said "hey dude,you peel it and the choices begin to narrow." daniels
    > the lebanese-tunisian.

    During the Afghanistan war I saw several photos of Afghanis on bicycles, as well as this story on a
    bicycle race:

    http://www.totalbike.com/news/article/567/

    I think there was a profile in the New York Times of a boy who made his living as a bicycle
    courier in Kabul.

    If I remember correctly, the Taliban prohibited women from riding bicycles.

  7. Spam Hater

    Spam Hater Guest

    Gary Young wrote:

    > If I remember correctly, the Taliban prohibited women from riding bicycles.

    Can someone tell me what the taliban DIDN'T prohibit? I am surprised breathing didn't fit in there
    somewhere...

    Joe
    --

    I don't herd cats anymore. All you end up with are scratches and a bunch of pissed off cats.

  8. [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > do arabs ride bicycles?

    The subject of the movie, "The Day I Became a Woman" is Irani, not Arab, but you might find it
    interesting.

    The middle portion of the film is about a young woman who is in a bicycle race. Dressed in heavy
    black chadors, the racers pace along the coastal path competing with intensity. Then from out of the
    dust, the young woman's husband appears on horseback demanding her to return home. When this fails,
    he returns with his father and then numberous cousins and uncles all on on horseback, but still she
    refuses to stop.

    Maybe you could catch it on video?

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/ Books
    just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

  9. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "spam hater" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Gary Young wrote:
    > >
    > > If I remember correctly, the Taliban prohibited women
    from riding
    > > bicycles.
    >
    > Can someone tell me what the taliban DIDN'T prohibit? I am
    surprised
    > breathing didn't fit in there somewhere...

    It did, depending on the circumstances. They often put a stop to it.

    Matt O.

  10. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    > [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > do arabs ride bicycles?
    >
    > The subject of the movie, "The Day I Became a Woman" is Irani, not Arab, but you might find it
    > interesting.
    >
    > The middle portion of the film is about a young woman who is in a bicycle race. Dressed in heavy
    > black chadors, the racers pace along the coastal path competing with intensity. Then from out of
    > the dust, the young woman's husband appears on horseback demanding her to return home. When this
    > fails, he returns with his father and then numberous cousins and uncles all on on horseback, but
    > still she refuses to stop.
    >
    > Maybe you could catch it on video?

    I saw the end of that on SBS. It was very boring and unbelievable even though the social message may
    have been important. Mark Lee

  11. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    spam hater <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gary Young wrote:
    >>
    >> If I remember correctly, the Taliban prohibited women from riding bicycles.
    >
    >Can someone tell me what the taliban DIDN'T prohibit? I am surprised breathing didn't fit in there
    >somewhere...

    There were a lot of things you could do to cause them to invoke that particular prohibition
    as well. :-(

  12. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    boring boring boring.

  13. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > boring boring boring.
    one of the messages missed and misunderstood "much to our chagrin"is that life in the desert does
    tend to be boring boring boring

    see that stuff about wandering in the wilderness, john the b., ect.

    think wilderness wandering brain chemistry vs the big mac attack brain chemistry