The Cycling Snobbery Is Really Turning Me Off About This Hobby.

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Darktone, Jul 31, 2015.

1. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Your feelings were hurt because someone didn't say hi? Don't make your happiness dependent on someone else's approval. Real life isn't facebook, no one has to "like" your status.

2. Darktone

Darktone New Member

No way we're my feeling hurt one bit. Just the rudeness of these people catch me off guard. It's not like we live in a big city. I see most of these people around town. How pathetic they must be.

3. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

You're upset because a female rider didn't want to engage in a conversation with a guy she didn't know, at the end of a trail? The fact is, just being a cyclist doesn't automatically make someone a nice person.

Darktone likes this.
  4. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

I know I already posted, but I experienced the kindness of fellow cyclist again. I rode my first 50 mile ride last week. I was at mile number 49 and my chain started to clank, (didn't change gears fast enough while doing uphill). I nearly fell clipped in,but stopped myself, got of the bike, and started to fix the chain. 2 cyclist rode passed and asked me if I needed help...

5. Darktone

Darktone New Member

6. Darktone

Darktone New Member

Never wanted conversation but when I am sitting at a bench five miles out of town and another cyclist stops to take a break a car length from me I feel the polite thing to do is to acknowledge them- a simple nod would have sufficed for being polite. not really sure how you decided I wanted conversation ?? I really don't want conversation at all but a nod or hello is all that was warranted.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands Member

Right, first of all, could she hear you? Sometimes when I am riding, I will have my headphones in on one side (never both, so that I can still hear the traffic) and this means that if anybody tries to get my attention from that side, I wouldn't be able to hear them. If she could hear you, then she is just rude - but don't let it put you off the sport. You should find that you can still enjoy your own journey even if everybody you pass ignores you. You just have to remember that not everybody has the same manners as you, and once you've come to terms with this you should find that you can have a lot more fun on the road.

8. Darktone

Darktone New Member

You guys are reading this all wrong- I am no way giving up this hobby- 580 miles last month alone. I am having a blast. Only listen to the facts I have said and don't put things into this that are not true like I am not enjoying myself biking. I am just not going to acknowledge the cyclists in racing suits anymore unless the say something first.

9. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

TT suit.jpg

This is a racing suit but I don't own one.

10. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

So... how are we supposed to interpret you initial post and title? I've copied it below for convenience. Do you know what a "turn off" is? (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/turnoff). Turned off and having a blast are opposite ends of the spectrum.

"The Cycling Snobbery Is Really Turning Me Off About This Hobby.

Wish I could find a place to ride where I was the only one. The rudeness of the cyclists I see in my area is bad. I stopped at a trail end yesterday for a rest and a few seconds later a woman in her riding outfit stopped about 30 feet from me and took a break also. I said hello and got no response what so ever. i think I am going to act the same way from no on and be a snob myself."

11. Darktone

Darktone New Member

I am guessing that most that are responding are the snobs I am talking about? :D

12. Darktone

Darktone New Member

So long snobs I am done with this place. For those that are in this for fun- enjoy your biking! I know I will!

13. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

When I go swimming I wear a swimsuit not a skin suit for racing. When I go cycling I wear bibs and bright colored jersey, not a TT suit. This is all done to be practical not elitist. If I went into outer space I would be a space-snob and weara spacesuit.
    Wearing bibs and a jersey doesn't make me snob or a cyclist but knocking out 300 watts average does make me a decent
    cyclist and the option to be a snob.

14. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

When we moved in this village in 2001, I momentarily forgot my biking because it took us several months to be settled with out things. Besides, the house has continual repairs and enhancements. When I finally had time to ride, I would navigate around the park oval (it is actually rectangular in shape) and sometimes rest near the other riders. I got acquainted with the riders here because they were the ones who approached me, so accommodating that I really appreciated their gesture. By the way, there were not all bikers, some of those friendly people were joggers.

15. Mengtian

Mengtian New Member

Would it have made any difference if she was walking and did not say helo or nod? What the heck does this have to do with cyclists at all? BEcause she happened to be on a bike? Here is a tid bit of info or ya: some folks just like to keep to themselves. Did you think that possibly she had other things on her mind? Maybe she had persona problems she was thinking about. A divorce, a family memeber with cancer, maybe she was a vet and has a form of mental illness. And YOU get upset without knowing anything about her or why she did not acknoledge you.

You are making only negative assumptions about her.

16. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

He has already made the assumption that anyone wearing a jersey and bibs is an elitist snob. So who is the intolerant one here?

Mengtian likes this.
  17. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Damn some trolls are smooth... It got you by the jersey!!! :D

Mengtian likes this.
  18. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

It is not true that all cyclist are snobs. I am but not everyone.

19. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Farewell, you will not be missed. Conversations are far more interesting among people who respect each other, but offer varying points of view. As of late, there have been too many posters looking for sympathy, legitimacy for their viewpoint and approval for their own agenda. It is beginning to sound like a support group in here. If you cannot deal with a bit of criticism and differing views without being offended and calling names, then you should go to another site where only your "friends" can see your comments.

I often take an opposing view to keep things interesting and reveal the character of a poster.

Mengtian likes this.
  20. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

If you were blocking my way going uphill at 2mph on your huffy bike,id be snobby towards you as well,lol.....In all seriousness though, people are just having a little fun at your expense with some of these post.Just a little light humor...One sign that someone may not want to be approached is sunglasses. Sometmes they aren't just to block the sun.