The Cycling Snobbery Is Really Turning Me Off About This Hobby.

Darktone

Jul 1, 2015
Wish I could find a place to ride where I was the only one. The rudeness of the cyclists I see in my area is bad. I stopped at a trail end yesterday for a rest and a few seconds later a woman in her riding outfit stopped about 30 feet from me and took a break also. I said hello and got no response what so ever. i think I am going to act the same way from no on and be a snob myself.

Don't know why cycling attracts those sorts of people.
There are some great people on bikes too. Just talk to the next few, you will come across some nice friendly people when riding.
NOOOOO don't give in! We don't need more snobs please!

That's nothing... I was properly bullied by some. :D

It does indeed attract some @ssholes. Racers are snobby, wannabes are even worst, especially if you are fast. :D

Keep in mind that alot of people you see on bikes have no interest in cycling except trying to appear eco conscious or some sh^t like that... and then are the fat section 8 newbies...

You sound quite new in cycling. ;) How long have you been at it?

Btw why don't you accept your fate and start riding a road bike in lycra? :D

I have been involved in a lot of hobbies in my life but I have never seen such disrespectful people. I deal with the public for work and I see great people everyday- must be when they hop on a bike they lose their manners?

Do not let one experience make a change in you especially the not so good ones. Maybe she did not hear you or she perhaps an introvert. You will always find people like her so do not give in to the thought of becoming a snob. If someone had been indifferent or snob I am sure there are a few more out there who are warm and outgoing.

Darktone said:
I have been involved in a lot of hobbies in my life but I have never seen such disrespectful people. I deal with the public for work and I see great people everyday- must be when they hop on a bike they lose their manners?

No dude... These people were like that before. ;)

Lone female addressed by a stranger. Could be something aside from snobbery.

jhuskey said:
Lone female addressed by a stranger. Could be something aside from snobbery.

Where are my posts from the Corn Ride thread? :D

Yes, but many are the opposite of what you speak of. I was waiting a mile away from my house for my brother and his friend to go on a ride. I was standing there next to my bike and a group past me going at different speeds(some trailing behind). Would you believe all 3 asked me if I needed help individually? It is pretty cool that some people are so fast to want to help a stranger. Off course I didn't need assistance that time, but its nice to know it would have been there.

I've only noticed all sorts of rude behavior directed towards myself, but not to other riders, so I don't think this is much of a problem in my area. The reason I am treated rather rudely though is because I am overweight and anyone overweight who is caught doing any form of exercise (especially at gyms) is teased and laughed at. Its really discouraging. But that's a whole other matter than snobbery among bikers... Don't let one person not acknowledging you - which could be for any number of reasons - make you stop cycling. That's a silly reason.

I worked with the public as well when I was fit to work, and I ran into my fair share of ****** off people every day. I don't think it is biking that makes them act like jerks, the ones you've run into that gave you a bad vibe are more likely to just be like that in general.

Oh I am not going to quit riding. If the lone female rider was afraid then why of all places to stop would she pick a spot a car length away from me??

When you figure women out please let me know. I think we can make a **** load of cash.

Women ? Nuts? That's for damned sure! Sorry ladies, but ...

I believe far more people are kind than cruel - and I too have been at a stop for whatever reason and have have people ask if I needed help. And I've offered to help others.

You get what you give overall. When dealing with the spectrum of humanity you will encounter all types ... Cycling isn't an exclusive by any means.

MotownBikeBoy said:
Women ? Nuts? That's for damned sure! Sorry ladies, but ...

We prefer to call them... "Complex". :D (Shhh, they might hear you ninja... :D )

If you see a guy with a flat and you don't stop you are rotten. :p

I'm of the mind that maybe she just didn't hear you. Did you notice if she was wearing ear buds (never a good idea if you are riding on busy roads)? But anyway, I guess it is possible she was just a rude person or just wasn't feeling social.

I've had my fair share of experience with rudeness too. I remember when I first started riding roadies. I was out for a spin on my ole trusty steel frame Trek 400, toe clips and friction shifters on the downtube and rocking a 5-speed freewheel. There I was decked out in cargo shorts and a t-shirt just cruising along. I came across not one, but two small groups of riders during my ride. I waved both times... and not a single wave or acknowledgement of my presence either time.
Now, fast forward a year to when I got my Trek 5500 and started wearing lycra shorts and jerseys, and wouldn't you know it, the waves began to be returned. Coincidence? I think not.

Don't let it discourage you. Just keep riding for yourself and don't worry about the snobs out there.

Actually had a woman smile and say hi to me yesterday that I gave up saying hi to after she never responded to me before.

You know, I've found this to be the case with most hobbies. Scotch drinkers hate on those who don't drink single malts, bodybuilders hate on those who don't do isolation workouts, video game players hate on those who play Skyrim. It's just part of the territory unfortunately.