The Dancing Chain, by Frank Berto

John McGraw wrote:

> I'd use log
> log paper to day to know where my cross over redundant gears are, if I
> could find the graph paper. Any suggestions on where to find it would
> be deeply appreciated. John

Google "Graph paper software" and you'll find several programs that will
print the stuff out.

But these days, when I want to do a gear chart, I use a spreadsheet
package. Depending what you need, you may find it better to set up an
extra column containing the logarithm of the gear inches, but simply
plotting the gear inches on a logarithmic axis may be fine.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

In rec.bicycles.racing g-spot <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have that book; I rate it excellent. It is really one-of-a-kind if you're
> into that sort of thing.

In that case I won't buy it. I'll just wait for you to
cut 'n' paste it here.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

Bob Schwartz wrote:

> In rec.bicycles.racing g-spot <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I have that book; I rate it excellent. It is really one-of-a-kind if you're
> > into that sort of thing.

> In that case I won't buy it. I'll just wait for you to
> cut 'n' paste it here.

I already did. You must have been asleep.

Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (John McGraw) wrote:
>
> > And I don't want to hear a bunch of retro grouch ****, I've ridden for far
> > more years w/ friction than indexed, & I'll take indexed anyday, Thank You
> > Very Much!
> > John

> It's not that hard to keep an index set-up tuned so it shifts properly.
> I know a couple of people who have actually said that using friction
> shifting proves they are better riders. Yeah, whatever...

Well it certainly can cause one to appreciate how good we have it
today, & to not worry if all cogs are HyperGlide compatible or not.
John

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> What other cycling books do people like? 'Tis the season, after all...

I like unusual stuff.

I really enjoyed _100 Years of Bicycle Accessory and Component Design:
The Data Book_, a picture book of pen & ink sketches, mostly by Daniel
Rebour, of historical bike parts and details. Just pages and pages of
beautiful drawings of bicycle ingenuity, in detail. Lots of people just
call this one "The Data Book."

I like _Bike Cult_ by William Perry. Tons of picture, almost a magazine
format, dealing with every aspect of cycling, not just racing or this
year's "must have" components. Too bad it's printed on cheap paper.

_Bicycling Science_ by David G. Wilson is good if you're serious about
the science and engineering aspects of bikes. Most people wouldn't
think of it as a recreational read, though.

You've got to read _Effective Cycling_ by John Forester if you haven't
yet. Sure, it's bound to make you gnash your teeth in places, but it's
a groundbreaking book. Maybe _the_ groundbreaking book.

_Metal Cowboy_ by Joe Kurmaskie has the best cycle touring story telling
I know.

I have a couple issues of _enCycleopedia: The international buyers'
guide to alternatives in cycling._ It's more of a squarebound magazine
than a regular book, but if you want 150 pages of the most creative bike
designs in the world, these volumes have it. Recumbents, trikes,
folders, streamliners, loaded tourers, utility bikes, etc. etc. $20
from the Overlook Press. ISBN 0-87951-854-5

Richard Ballantine's stuff is generally good, mostly for beginners or
for the coffee table. He's got several books out.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Bill Baka wrote:
>
> > On 3 Dec 2004 21:41:49 -0800, John McGraw <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> I'd use
> >> log log paper to day to know where my cross over redundant gears
> >> are, if I could find the graph paper. Any suggestions on where to
> >> find it would be deeply appreciated. John

> > I miss it too so I would be in on the "If you ding it deal". It might
> > be possible to print some but then you might have to write a program
> > to generate the proper lines.

> You can usually still find it in university book stores, at engineering schools.
> ISTR seeing it in the old VA Tech bookstore. I'm going down there shortly,
> maybe I'll have a look and report back.
>
> I know I have some, somewhere as well. I just threw out all my extra computer
> punch cards from my first year of college! I've saved all kinds of graph paper
> over the years, because I knew it would come in handy, and not always be
> available.
>
> Matt O.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions for finding log-log graph
paper. I'm saving the addresses. Also I think I'll call Stacys in the
City & Palo Alto, and the Stanford bookstore.
Thanks again, John

Carl U amaze me w/ U're ability to find stuff on line. Is there a
site(s) that U have read to help to become so good? Or is it just an
inherent, creative knack? I mean, I know about cows & circles, (crop
circles?) an all, but it doesn't seem to help much w/ google.

On 4 Dec 2004 15:55:37 -0800, John McGraw <[email protected]> wrote:

> Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] (John McGraw) wrote:
>>
>> > And I don't want to hear a bunch of retro grouch ****, I've ridden

>> for far
>> > more years w/ friction than indexed, & I'll take indexed anyday,

>> Thank You
>> > Very Much!
>> > John

>> It's not that hard to keep an index set-up tuned so it shifts
>> properly.
>> I know a couple of people who have actually said that using friction
>> shifting proves they are better riders. Yeah, whatever...

> Well it certainly can cause one to appreciate how good we have it
> today, & to not worry if all cogs are HyperGlide compatible or not.
> John

Only problem I can find is that if you want to go to a different rear
cluster, like from 7 to 8, the indexing is shot.

--
Bill (?) Baka

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.racing g-spot <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have that book; I rate it excellent. It is really one-of-a-kind if
>> you're into that sort of thing.

> In that case I won't buy it. I'll just wait for you to
> cut 'n' paste it here.

We need to bring back POTM.

On 4 Dec 2004 16:17:43 -0800, John McGraw <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Bill Baka wrote:

>> > I miss it too so I would be in on the "If you ding it deal". It might
>> > be possible to print some but then you might have to write a program
>> > to generate the proper lines.

>> You can usually still find it in university book stores, at engineering
>> schools.
>> ISTR seeing it in the old VA Tech bookstore. I'm going down there
>> shortly,
>> maybe I'll have a look and report back.
>>
>> I know I have some, somewhere as well. I just threw out all my extra
>> computer
>> punch cards from my first year of college! I've saved all kinds of
>> graph paper
>> over the years, because I knew it would come in handy, and not always be
>> available.
>>
>> Matt O.

> Thanks so much for all the suggestions for finding log-log graph
> paper. I'm saving the addresses. Also I think I'll call Stacys in the
> City & Palo Alto, and the Stanford bookstore.
> Thanks again, John
>
> Carl U amaze me w/ U're ability to find stuff on line. Is there a
> site(s) that U have read to help to become so good? Or is it just an
> inherent, creative knack? I mean, I know about cows & circles, (crop
> circles?) an all, but it doesn't seem to help much w/ google.

Can you find me an old Dietzgen slide rule? I had a super one in
college (1967) and then they came out with those darn calculators
in about 1971.

--
Bill (?) Baka

[email protected] wrote:
> Just received notice that "The Dancing Chain" by Frank Berto

<snip>

Dumbass -

The problem w/ Frank Berto is that his wife is a goddamm horse rider
who campaigned extensively to get mountain bikes banned from Mount Tam.
K. Gringioni.

ps. horses are lame

Bill Baka wrote:

> Can you find me an old Dietzgen slide rule? I had a super
> one in college (1967) and then they came out with those
> darn calculators in about 1971.

Was the Dietzgen the white bamboo slide rule? I still have my yellow
metal Pickett HI log/log slide rule [in the original leather holster]
that I bought in 1963 and used regularly until I bought one o' them
new-fangled calculators in the mid-Seventies [which I think I still
have, too].

Kurgan Gringioni writes:

>> Just received notice that "The Dancing Chain" by Frank Berto

> Dumbass -

> The problem w/ Frank Berto is that his wife is a goddamm horse rider
> who campaigned extensively to get mountain bikes banned from Mount
> Tam.

> ps. horses are lame

I think you miss the point. Before MTB's we had dirt motorcyclists
who tore up trails and terrorized all other trail users while being
oblivious to nature and the outdoors. For them it was merely the
challenge of an obstacle course on single track trails. They were
banned from wilderness parks around here 40 years ago. Then came the
MTB and the story started all over again, with gonzo downhillers who
ruined the welcome for bicycling that had gotten along with other
trail users for many years.

Trails are systematically being closed to bicycles in response to what
are essentially unmotorized dirt motorcycle riders, the same ilk as
those of the past but on MTB's. On my last two rides through The
Forest Of Nisene Marks (redwood park), one of our favorite roads, one
of our riders got crashed into by an out-of-control MTB rider causing
injury and bicycle damage (pretzled wheels). The dislocated shoulder
of one of the perpetrators made him wait several hours before a ranger
picked him up in his jeep. In Purissima Creek park I have been sworn
at by three-abreast MTB'ers descending out of control as I dived off
the trail. Many trails on Mt Tamalpais are similar and I empathize
with Mrs. Berto. Such incidents are common enough for trail closures.

If you feel there is no reason for banning bicyclists from trails, you
are not sensitive to the damage and injury caused. This is like
snowmobiles in Yosemite and other national Parks which are much like
someone running a chainsaw in your back yard all day. We keep reading
of rude motorists harassing bicyclists on the road in much the same
tone as trail users talk of MTB riders, yet readers of wreck.bike see
no parallel.

http://tinyurl.com/44m2m

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

Ned Mantei wrote:

> There is also an earlier book by Frank Berto,
> "Bicycling Magazine's complete guide to upgrading your bike"
> (Rodale Press, 1988).

Well-written and informative book, indispensible in its time to bike
upgraders, still valuable today as an example of good testing
methodology, and as a historical reference. I treasure my autographed copy.

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 07:08:43 GMT, [email protected]
wrote:

>Kurgan Gringioni writes:
>
>>> Just received notice that "The Dancing Chain" by Frank Berto

>> Dumbass -

>> The problem w/ Frank Berto is that his wife is a goddamm horse rider
>> who campaigned extensively to get mountain bikes banned from Mount
>> Tam.

>> ps. horses are lame

>I think you miss the point. Before MTB's we had dirt motorcyclists
>who tore up trails and terrorized all other trail users while being
>oblivious to nature and the outdoors. For them it was merely the
>challenge of an obstacle course on single track trails. They were
>banned from wilderness parks around here 40 years ago. Then came the
>MTB and the story started all over again, with gonzo downhillers who
>ruined the welcome for bicycling that had gotten along with other
>trail users for many years.
>

> We keep reading
>of rude motorists harassing bicyclists on the road in much the same
>tone as trail users talk of MTB riders, yet readers of wreck.bike see
>no parallel.
>
>Jobst Brandt
>[email protected]

That should should be some readers " of wreck.bike" . I too support
the protection of nature and see little difference between motorized
and nonmotorized, when it comes to that kind of riding.
If you are doing damage and/or harassing others, you should be banned
from that area.

Life is Good!
Jeff

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 09:39:58 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>What other cycling books do people like? 'Tis the season, after all...

Richard's Bicycle Book by Richard Ballantine was always a personal
favourite.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 09:39:58 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message <[email protected]>:
>

>>What other cycling books do people like? 'Tis the season, after all...

> Richard's Bicycle Book by Richard Ballantine was always a personal
> favourite.
>
> Guy

I seem to recall a rather graphic account of how he deals with
attacking dogs.

Steve

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:21:51 -0600, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
wrote:

>If you are doing damage and/or
>harassing others, you should be banned
>from that area.

Who is the "you"?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 11:32:56 -0500, Steven Bornfeld
<[email protected]>:

>> Richard's Bicycle Book by Richard Ballantine was always a personal
>> favourite.

> I seem to recall a rather graphic account of how he deals with
>attacking dogs.

Find an old enough copy and you'll also see that the open end of a
dropped handlebar is called the "stash" ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:12:55 -0500, John Forrest Tomlinson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:21:51 -0600, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>If you are doing damage and/or
>>harassing others, you should be banned
>>from that area.

>Who is the "you"?
>
>JT

Wasn't it obvious, before you snipped the majority of my post?

Life is Good!
Jeff