"The Dancing Chain", by Frank J. Berto

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.marketplace' started by [email protected], Feb 18, 2005.

  1. Just received my copy of "The Dancing Chain" (2nd edition), by Frank
    Berto.

    "The Dancing Chain" is the story of the modern bicycle and the gadget
    that makes it tick: the derailleur.

    Available from Amazon.com for $34.62, which includes free super-saver
    shipping.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1892495414/veluninc/

    Highly recommended!

    Tags:

  2. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > "The Dancing Chain" is the story of the modern bicycle and the gadget
    > that makes it tick: the derailleur.

    Don't try telling that to the trackies.

  3. Donald Munro wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>"The Dancing Chain" is the story of the modern bicycle and the gadget
    >>that makes it tick: the derailleur.

    > Don't try telling that to the trackies.

    Right, the gadget that makes it "tick" is the freewheel, not the
    "derailleur," unless the derailer is misadjusted.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer

    Sheldon "Literalist" Brown
    | The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the |
    | unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world |
    | to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the |
    | unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  4. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer

    I followed the link on that ^^^^^ page to the derailer adjustment page,
    where you need to update the proper spelling of the French word, when
    you get a chance.

  5. gym gravity wrote:
    > Sheldon Brown wrote:
    >
    >> http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer

    > I followed the link on that ^^^^^ page to the derailer adjustment page,
    > where you need to update the proper spelling of the French word, when
    > you get a chance.

    I've fixed it, thanks.

    While spelling/typo corrections to _postings_ are the lowest form of
    usnet "noise", corrections to _Web_ pages (at least to _my_ Web pages)
    are always most welcome.

    However, it is better to send these corrections in the form of a private
    email, rather than crossposting on three Usenet groups in hope that I'll
    see it.

    Sheldon "Instant Update" Brown
    | Occident, n.: The part of the world lying west (or east) |
    | of the Orient... whose principal industries are...cheating, |
    | which they are pleased to call..."commerce." These, also, |
    | are the principal industries of the Orient. |
    | -- Ambrose Bierce, 'The Devil's Dictionary' |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  6. and a noted naval architect.