The day I met Bjoern Daehlie

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David Dermott, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Well, I didn't actually meet him personally, but I skied in his tracks, and got some
    pictures of him.

    I've been experimenting with my new photo/slide scanner (HP Scanjet
    4470c), digitizing old photos, and filling up disk space with JPEG image files!

    These images were scanned from the negatives (I can't find the prints!!) Pictures were taken March
    1996 at the Holmenkollen Mens 50 km race. Erling Jevne won this race.

    Bjørn Daehlie (in the yellow jersey) coming and going:

    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/hk_bd1.jpg
    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/hk_bd2.jpg

    This was about 5 km before the finish line. This was a unusually flat section of trail, the racers
    are taking a "rest" before the roller-coaster hills on the final section.

    A group of fans (Team Vitamex) along the 2 x 25 km race trail:

    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/hk_fans.jpg

    Tents set up along the trail: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/hk_tents.jpg

    Finish line in the stadium:

    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/hk_maal.jpg

    Story, with links to those pictures, at:

    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/holm96.html

    David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada email: [email protected] WWW pages:
    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

    Tags:

  2. David, Nice story. However, did you know you posted it to rec.bicycling.racing? Cheers, Bruce

    To respond by email remove YOURDOG

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > Nice story. However, did you know you posted it to rec.bicycling.racing?

    He's wearing a yellow jersey though...

    news:[email protected]...

  4. "Ronald" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse news:[email protected]...
    > > Nice story. However, did you know you posted it to
    rec.bicycling.racing?

    > He's wearing a yellow jersey though...

    Yeah, and wasn't Tyler a skiier at first? Maybe Bjorn will come to France and kick Lance's butt, if
    no one else will.

    HB

    > "Bruce Freeburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > David, Nice story. However, did you know you posted it to
    rec.bicycling.racing?
    > > Cheers,
    > > Bruce
    > >
    > > To respond by email remove YOURDOG

  5. Greg Fangel

    Greg Fangel Guest

    I met Bjorn too! We shared racing stories together while we were in Switzerland last winter. His
    stories were from the front of the pack and mine were from the back of the pack.

    www.gtfangel.com/photos/bjorn_greg.jpg

    Greg Fangel

    "David Dermott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Well, I didn't actually meet him personally, but I skied in his tracks, and got some
    > pictures of him.
    >
    > I've been experimenting with my new photo/slide scanner (HP Scanjet
    > 4470c), digitizing old photos, and filling up disk space with JPEG image files!
    >
    > These images were scanned from the negatives (I can't find the prints!!) Pictures were taken
    > March 1996 at the Holmenkollen Mens 50 km race. Erling Jevne won this race.
    >

    > Bjørn Daehlie (in the yellow jersey) coming and going:
    >
    > http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/hk_bd1.jpg
    > http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/hk_bd2.jpg
    >
    > This was about 5 km before the finish line. This was a unusually flat section of trail, the
    > racers are taking a "rest" before the
    roller-coaster
    > hills on the final section.
    >
    > A group of fans (Team Vitamex) along the 2 x 25 km race trail:
    >
    > http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/hk_fans.jpg
    >
    > Tents set up along the trail: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/hk_tents.jpg
    >
    > Finish line in the stadium:
    >
    > http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/hk_maal.jpg
    >
    > Story, with links to those pictures, at:
    >
    > http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/holm96.html

    > David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada email: [email protected] WWW pages:
    > http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

  6. Lars

    Lars Guest

    If you do the Birkebeiner you can meet and talk to many of these world famous Norwegians at Rena,
    the day before the race. I talked to Erling Jevne and Jørgen Aukland (FIS worldcup winner 2003
    marathon series) in one shop at Rena this year. Very nice guys.

    news:<[email protected]>...

  7. Greg Fangel wrote:
    > I met Bjorn too! We shared racing stories together while we were in Switzerland last winter. His
    > stories were from the front of the pack and mine were from the back of the pack.

    Well, I've actually competed against him, in a relay:

    The 15-leg Holmenkollen (foot) race has a couple of quite steep legs, I always run #5 from Vindern
    to Slemdal, which has 130 m ascent in 1310 m length. Two years ago I heard a lot of spectators
    around me on the steepest part, turned out BD was (quite slowly actually!) overtaking me.

    In my faster days I would have beaten the time he did that year, but when I was somewhat faster, he
    was _very_ fit indeed. :)

    Terje
    --
    - <[email protected]> "almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"

  8. Tapio Rauma wrote:
    > "Terje Mathisen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Greg Fangel wrote:
    >>
    >>>I met Bjorn too! We shared racing stories together while we were in Switzerland last winter. His
    >>>stories were from the front of the pack and mine were from the back of the pack.
    >>
    >>Well, I've actually competed against him, in a relay:
    >>
    >>The 15-leg Holmenkollen (foot) race has a couple of quite steep legs, I always run #5 from Vindern
    >>to Slemdal, which has 130 m ascent in 1310 m length. Two years ago I heard a lot of spectators
    >>around me on the steepest part, turned out BD was (quite slowly actually!) overtaking me.
    >>
    >>In my faster days I would have beaten the time he did that year, but when I was somewhat faster,
    >>he was _very_ fit indeed. :)
    >>
    >>Terje
    >>--
    >

    > Erythropoietin?

    What has this story got to do with EPO, on either my or BD's side?

    Terje

    --
    - <[email protected]> "almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"