The Dizzying Evolution of a Noob's Brain

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by FlyingPancreas, Sep 2, 2013.

1. FlyingPancreas

FlyingPancreas New Member

Still shopping for a bike, but think I'm quite close to pulling the trigger now. I think. Must get ass to town.

Something like three weeks ago when I decided to get a bike and started web-shopping, I immediately thought I should get a road bike. It's what I'd ridden in my past life and is kind of the *standard* bike medium, so it's what I should get.

Then I decided every pothole and crack in the road was going to break my bike and kill me, and also who knows when I might need to veer of the road and ride over boulders and tree stumps? So it was clear I must buy a hybrid with front suspension and 2-foot-wide knobby tires. Road bike? Madness.

And then it became clear that front suspension is, for me, stupid. It adds weight I don't need, and how in the hell can a suspension lockout possibly function consistently without breaking? Plus, it seems Philly is a lot more bike-friendly than I realized, at first. I'll be riding on pavement 99% of the time, even on the many bike trails in Philly which are mostly paved...

So naturally what I must have is a flat-bar road bike with a rigid fork. It should have an aluminum frame and a carbon fork, because... well, because I don't know squat about bikes and it seems like the upper end of bikes within my price range of less than $1k are made this way.

But maybe steel/cromo would be better for dampening street vibration - we all know how the streets vibrate...

And now the Jamis Coda Elite is at the top of my list.

I have no idea what will be there tomorrow. I'm a moron.

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Test ride some bikes. Test ride the Jamis Coda. Test rides are great way to sort your thinking.

3. FlyingPancreas

FlyingPancreas New Member

I will test ride like the wind!

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

That's the spirit.