The dreaded chain tattoo

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by stevenaleach, Sep 18, 2003.

1. stevenaleach

stevenaleach New Member

Ok, I need a good solution to the
    ~~DREADED CHAIN TATTOO~~

Anyone know of:

extremely light weight chainguard?
    calf guard?
    Non messy chain lubricant?
    Any other solutions?

Tags:

2. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi there

Not touching the chain with your leg is about the only solution. A chain guard could work alright depending on the type of bike you have.

cheers!

3. BugMan

BugMan New Member

Forget about the chaingaurd - it'll scream 'dork' louder than if you just keep riding around with the tatoo!

In all seriousness, though, keeping your drivetrain clean will help a lot. I like the wax-based chain lubes, which are self-cleaning and keep your drivetrain from getting the black buildup. You've just got to be diligent, however, about applying it - it's easy to forget about it and end up riding around on a dry chain.

4. Sidi

Sidi New Member

For years i was always talking about getting that tattoo'd onto my calf.
    So one night a few years ago, actually almost a decade ago- how time flies- my wife and i went out onto town and had a few drinks and we just sorta got tattoo'd that night.
    I got the greasy oil smudge chainring mark without the chain and she got herself a butterfly just below her bikini line.
    I figure i cannot avoid for the life of me that thing anyway so i got it permanently on myself now.
    No regrets at all about it and now i wear it proudly!
    Funny how some people dread that mark and i got it tattoo'd on my right calf.
    I don't care if you think it is a sign of a dork because that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. For me it is mark of what i am and what i do now.

5. stevenaleach

stevenaleach New Member

Just out riding for the sake of riding, I couldn't care less about the D.C.T. But riding to college, grocery store, library, etc. etc. It is a problem. I don't like wearing shorts (I hate shorts actually), and I don't like grease smudged on the leg of my pants at all.

6. jordon198

jordon198 New Member

Have you been riding long? I stared 2 months ago, and it seemed like I could not return home without one. I don't know if its because I'm getting in a little better shape or what, but I don't get dirty anymore.

Unless you count yesterday when a car pulled out infront of me, I come to a perfect full stop without flying over the handle bars, then fall over when I forget my damn feet are attatched to the bike. I must have done something right though all the scratches were on me not my bike.

7. mfallon

mfallon New Member

Hmm, I just recently started cycling and I must be doing something wrong because I haven't gotten one yet. I'll have to try harder:)

8. ohiojeff

ohiojeff New Member

someone mentioned wax. i am a bit old-fashion, but i still wax my chain. it really isnt hard, and it is very clean. if you listen to your drivetrain, you know when it's time to redo it when things get clunky. really i only have to lube mine every month or so using wax, and it is very weather proof.

9. alex001

alex001 New Member

just spray lightly with wd-40 and wipe off