The dreaded hernia

Your doc was probably referring to an 'inguinal hernia'.

Take a look here: http://www.pedisurg.com/PtEduc/Inguinal_Hernia.htm

also google 'inguinal hernia'

Carrera said:
Progress report:

I totally stopped weight training as I figured it would help my hernia. I found it has worked well. I'm doing more cycling and find this doesn't bother my hernia - not even climbing.
I also have a suspicion that maybe my doctor could have misdiagnosed me. The pain was always more testicular than anything else so I may have simply strained the testicle area lifting weights (if that's possible). I was also having symptoms of getting up in the night to urinate (8 times or more) and this has stopped now I've rested.
I figure I'll leave weights off for some time, focus on the bike and then slowly resume weights in the future (but going lighter than I did).
I think I'm enjoying a change of routine, going out on the bike instead of being in the gym and the hernia seems far better.

Carrera said:
I was diagnosed today as having a mild hernia. I suspect I've had it for at least 10 years already and it only ever bothered me when doing cheat barbell curls. However, over the last few months it's affected me on squats as well.
My doctor said I'll need surgery at some point to correct it but didn't recommend any intervention at this point as the hernia is supposedly quite mild. However, it certainly does bother me that he recommended I avoid strenuous activity and be more careful how I exert myself in future.
Somehow I get this impression of living my life in cotton wool and I'm not too happy about it.
I knew a guy who got a severe hernia doing squats and was in a lot of pain. He winded up having surgery and ceased physical training for some 8 months. After that, he was able to resume his normal work-load and is fine today.
I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of this problem. If I only have a mild injury is there any way I can treat it so it gets better without the need for surgery? Also, why has the doctor not opted for surgery?
The doctor did recommend I do plenty of situps but said that, unfortunately, there are no exercises that can be done to help heal up this kind of injury. Anyone had a similar problem?
do plenty of situps? i have 2 hernias 1-hiatus which allows food to come back up after eating when performing exercises at very strenuous intensities and another on the lowerside of my desending colan that i think is pretty cool as a need to dump indicator, cause when i'm in need of a dump my indicator sticks out loads and you can play with your faeces long before you have passed.

but you can always just poke it back in and keep it compressed, you can get like a bandage that has like a half tennis ball thing on that will push it back in, if used over a long period of time allegedly allows the damaged tissue to repair whilst stopping anything from protruding the damaged tissue.

Carrera -
I am in the same exact boat...My doctor said that I had a mild hernia...and I'm like can I go in now and get it fixed? He said no..because a mild hernia is like an oxymoron...either you have a hernia or you don't. He did the cough test and said that he felt a little bulge, but nothing major.

He said it could be 10 years or it may never actually become a hernia...I just hate having to feel like this and watch myself when I work out.

I just left the DR's nurse a message for a referral to a surgeon. I heard there is a digital test or something that really let's you know what's going on down there.

Good luck, and I'll keep you posted on the surgeon's findings.

Carrera said:
I was diagnosed today as having a mild hernia. I suspect I've had it for at least 10 years already and it only ever bothered me when doing cheat barbell curls. However, over the last few months it's affected me on squats as well.
My doctor said I'll need surgery at some point to correct it but didn't recommend any intervention at this point as the hernia is supposedly quite mild. However, it certainly does bother me that he recommended I avoid strenuous activity and be more careful how I exert myself in future.
Somehow I get this impression of living my life in cotton wool and I'm not too happy about it.
I knew a guy who got a severe hernia doing squats and was in a lot of pain. He winded up having surgery and ceased physical training for some 8 months. After that, he was able to resume his normal work-load and is fine today.
I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of this problem. If I only have a mild injury is there any way I can treat it so it gets better without the need for surgery? Also, why has the doctor not opted for surgery?
The doctor did recommend I do plenty of situps but said that, unfortunately, there are no exercises that can be done to help heal up this kind of injury. Anyone had a similar problem?

Carrera - I was diagnosed with the same thing...I actually went back to another doctor and he said there really is no such thing as a slight hernia....that would be an oxymoron. It either is a hernia, or it isn't...I asked him the same thing...can we do the surgery now? he said no...because it isn't a hernia.

He did the cough test and he felt a little bump when I coughtd...but it wasn't severe enough yet.

I too hate to watch what I do. The doctor said just to keep doing what I'm doing, and just remember to exhale on squats or deadlifts.

I'm going to see a surgeon sometime soon to have something called a digital test done. This should tell me more.

Take care!

I winded up resting from weights and haven't touched a weight since before Christmas. Cycling causes no problems at all and keeps my legs up.
Diagnosis is beyond me. All I can say is I would get a kind of pull in the testicle area when doing barbell curls. It was like a kind of kick that gave me a jolt. Then it started to cause problems on squats and once I felt a kind of strain right across the testicles when trying to squat, so I stopped.
There's another weird symptom too. I find that if I either weight train or cycle really hard uphill, I tend to get up a lot during the night to take a leak. At one point it got chronic so I saw my doctor (who said I had been drinking too much coffee and tea during nightshifts). However, strain seems to trigger it off.
It may be I pulled something around the testicle area but have never seen such a problem listed anywhere.

scote3232 said:
Carrera - I was diagnosed with the same thing...I actually went back to another doctor and he said there really is no such thing as a slight hernia....that would be an oxymoron. It either is a hernia, or it isn't...I asked him the same thing...can we do the surgery now? he said no...because it isn't a hernia.

He did the cough test and he felt a little bump when I coughtd...but it wasn't severe enough yet.

I too hate to watch what I do. The doctor said just to keep doing what I'm doing, and just remember to exhale on squats or deadlifts.

I'm going to see a surgeon sometime soon to have something called a digital test done. This should tell me more.

Take care!