Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

The dream is back

Started by Capri · · Last activity · 332 posts · 13,389 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
20 September 2004
Last activity
17 October 2004
Original author
Capri
Posts
332
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
13,389
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 332
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Scott" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote >

    If this topic thread entitled "The Dream is back" is what ARBR is all
    about

    Quoted message said:

    then I am going to go out and shoot myself.

    Oh, goody! There's hope! There's hope! Keep the "boring" topics
    coming! Anything about recumbents, touring, cycling in general should
    do. Just imagine the glory of a post-Ed ARBR!

    As far as the dream coming back, right on! Just don't let Kill-joy Ed
    dampen your spirits. It's great to hear of people getting motivated.
    Train well and get out there. Send us all a note when it happens.

    Scott--Not missing Ed.

    Well, a cheer leader I have never been. And I don't think ARBR needs to
    perform that particular function. It is up to an adult to motivate himself.
    Only children need encouragement to do what they ought to do. As far as I
    know, there are no children here - only us old men who are all over 40 years
    of age. Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  2. Quoted message said:

    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote


    "Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent"

    Howdy Ed and others:

    You're wrong on the above comment. Not only do I have two children who are
    active bent riders, but they are girls. The love their bikes and get a real
    kick out of whupping up on the young lads in our neighborhood who try to
    keep up with them. At least where I'm from here in lower Delaware,
    recumbent bikes are on a popular upswing and now when I ride every day, I
    see at least another one every time out. For an area as rural as this, I
    think that's terrific.

    In direct contrast to the comment you made above, there are significant
    numbers of young ones who are riding in our area. Perhaps it is an issue of
    demographics or the like, but they're popular here, both with young and old
    alike.

    --
    "Sea" ya!
    --Lars S. Mulford
    "You can find evil anywhere you look.
    The question is, why are you looking?"
    Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent.

  3. "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ... For God's sakes, someone start saying something
    interesting or else I will truly start trolling this group.

    START?

    Quoted message said:

    ... I have never
    understood why we can't have disagreement about something without getting
    into invective. ...

    And yet you seem to understand afterall:

    Quoted message said:

    I must confess that I
    occasionally (!?) lose all patience with some and go berserk myself, but I always
    try to provide some content for the discussion to revolve around despite the
    name calling.

    Since when?

    Quoted message said:

    Just pure name calling is too infantile for words.

    Doesn't seem to stop you.

    Quoted message said:

    I would agree that most here on ARBR are quite nice, but it only takes a few
    rotten apples to spoil the barrel.

    I guess you should know. You are the rottenest I've seen here, and
    I've been looking in for a long time.

    If you really had the taste for trash talk you claim to have, you
    would have left here for monkey island a long time ago. People come
    here to actually discuss recumbents, not have pie fights, but you take
    advantage and throw pies anyway.

  4. Edward Dolan said:

    Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent.

    You've clearly been studying the cover of the latest issue of VeloVision
    /really/ closely then...
    http://www.velovision.co.uk/cgi-bin/show_comments.pl?storynum=638

    At a recent meeting of uk.rec.cycling posters in Edinburgh, one of the
    participants was a young girl who took /enormous/ delight in trying out
    the Windcheetahs present. On return home she announced to her mum that
    daddy had said he get her a KMX recumbent trike, even though that was
    news to daddy. I don't think she was contemplating dying before riding
    it...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. "Lars S. Mulford" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:5Ky4d.3320$fa.2184@trndny09...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote


    "Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent"

    Howdy Ed and others:

    You're wrong on the above comment. Not only do I have two children who
    are
    active bent riders, but they are girls. The love their bikes and get a
    real
    kick out of whupping up on the young lads in our neighborhood who try to
    keep up with them. At least where I'm from here in lower Delaware,
    recumbent bikes are on a popular upswing and now when I ride every day, I
    see at least another one every time out. For an area as rural as this, I
    think that's terrific.

    In direct contrast to the comment you made above, there are significant
    numbers of young ones who are riding in our area. Perhaps it is an issue
    of
    demographics or the like, but they're popular here, both with young and
    old
    alike.

    Lars, I have known of exactly two kids hereabouts over a period of 25 years
    who got recumbents as they thought it would be a good idea at the time.
    However, they did not keep them long as the rest of the kids made life
    fairly miserable for them no doubt. Kids are the most peer oriented group in
    the universe and they want to do what all the other kids are doing all the
    time. Until the bike culture of the kids change, I do not ever foresee any
    kids or other young folks taking to recumbents. It is only us older folks
    who can go against the grain.

    Nevertheless, it is good to hear of occasional exceptions. On my tours, I
    too have noted that it is more often a girl rather than a boy who is mostly
    likely to have a recumbent. In every instance that I have investigated, it
    was always a family influenced thing. Usually the father was into
    recumbents, and the wife and kids followed. It is extremely rare to ever see
    a young person on a recumbent.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  6. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Edward Dolan said:

    Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent.

    You've clearly been studying the cover of the latest issue of VeloVision
    /really/ closely then...
    http://www.velovision.co.uk/cgi-bin/show_comments.pl?storynum=638

    It is most likely the soap box racing car thing where the father is the one
    doing all the work and doing all the influencing. However, if kids are
    riding recumbents around on their own for reasons other than racing, then
    perhaps things are starting to change.

    Quoted message said:

    At a recent meeting of uk.rec.cycling posters in Edinburgh, one of the
    participants was a young girl who took /enormous/ delight in trying out
    the Windcheetahs present. On return home she announced to her mum that
    daddy had said he get her a KMX recumbent trike, even though that was news
    to daddy. I don't think she was contemplating dying before riding it...

    Kids are notorious for their flash in the pan inspirations. But it is only
    the long haul that interests me. I do not see kids riding recumbents. Racing
    events don't count.

    We have a little town (almost a ghost town) here in SW Minnesota named
    Dundee. I think this area of the state was originally settled by the English
    and the Scotch, but they now constitute a very small minority. But the old
    place names remain. If you could see Dundee, Minnesota and compare it to
    Dundee, Scotland, you would not see the slightest resemblance. We would have
    a good laugh together about it.

    My town of Worthington is named after Worthington, Ohio, which in turn is
    named after Worthington, England. I believe Worthington is a fine old
    English place name. We also have a main drag here that is named Oxford
    Street.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  7. [email hidden] (Group Moderator) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "The Testimony" by Robert L. Bass

    Okay, Ed. I'm with you. Bring on the firearms. Bass, what the heck
    is this? Send such a message to your buddy on a private email. Or go
    to alt.jesusfreaks.whatever. Or at least have the courtesy to point
    out that Jesus led you to recumbents or something. Now, what kind of
    bent would Jesus ride? Maybe a high racer because he could walk on
    water? The Buddha, of course, transcended the need for cycling all
    together. He became one with the bent and then cycled off into
    Nirvana. I'd love to run with this, but I gotta go.

    Scott

    Praise be to the Laid-back Cyclists!

  8. "James S. Prine" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    At least my topic thread, "Ed
    Dolan on women", engendered a little lively discussion - even if 50% of
    the
    contributors were nothing less than total idiots.

    Well, it is hard to find *total* idiots, one must endeavor to smoke them
    out
    with ever more cunning methods.

    Actually, I agree with you on the recent content here...about as
    invigorating
    as watching 'raindrops' slide down the windows of one's home.

    When one is accidently locked *outside* said home and it's 12 degrees F,
    of
    course....

    James S. Prine
    http://hometown.aol.com/jsprine/

    At 12°F I'd expect ice, sleet, snow, but not rain.

    Quoted message said:
  9. "john riley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >... For God's sakes, someone start saying something
    > interesting or else I will truly start trolling this group.

    START?

    I have list of a thousand and one outrageous things I can say if I wanted
    to.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ... I have never
    understood why we can't have disagreement about something without getting
    into invective. ...

    And yet you seem to understand afterall:

    Quoted message said:

    I must confess that I
    occasionally (!?) lose all patience with some and go berserk myself, but
    I always
    try to provide some content for the discussion to revolve around despite
    the
    name calling.

    Since when?

    Others always begin the name calling and then I polish them off. And I
    always do provide content, but the name calling takes precedence with most
    here.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Just pure name calling is too infantile for words.

    Doesn't seem to stop you.

    Fire must always be fought with fire. Being a gentleman with a foul mouth
    idiot is a waste of time and effort.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would agree that most here on ARBR are quite nice, but it only takes a
    few
    rotten apples to spoil the barrel.

    I guess you should know. You are the rottenest I've seen here, and
    I've been looking in for a long time.

    Many thanks for the wonderful compliment. You have just made my day. Keep
    reading me at all costs as I have yet new depths to plumb when confronting
    the typical ARBR idiot. There are also a few intelligent souls here on ARBR
    but they seem to avoid me for the most part. I am always getting stuck with
    all the idiots. Well, it is unpleasant work, but someone has got to do it.

    Quoted message said:

    If you really had the taste for trash talk you claim to have, you
    would have left here for monkey island a long time ago. People come
    here to actually discuss recumbents, not have pie fights, but you take
    advantage and throw pies anyway.

    I always carefully tailor my responses to whoever and whatever is being
    said. I have resolved from the get-go not to let idiots always have the last
    word, which they usually do because those of us who are gentlemen will not
    stoop that low. But I have decided to stoop as low as is necessary to deal
    with idiots and scumbags of which there are many here on ARBR. I do not
    include you in that category (yet), but I have made note of your
    disgruntlement with me. If others talk trashy to me, then I return it with
    interest.

    Why many people are here on ARBR is quite a mystery to me. Apparently, if a
    newsgroup exists, people will come regardless if they have anything to say
    or not.

    I am proud of my modest contributions to ARBR. If it weren't for me, the
    group would have died and gone to hell long ago. After all, there is only so
    much to say about recumbents without endlessly repeating ourselves.

    Surely there are other less contentious groups where you would feel more at
    home. Maybe BROL would suit you better. I understand they are heavily into
    namby-pambyness and do not allow characters like me to darken their door.
    That suits me to a T as I cannot imagine someone like Mr. Ball, the
    moderator of the group, passing judgment on my posts. That would be like an
    idiot trying to judge a genius. How ridiculous can you get!

    By the way, now that I have spiced up this thread, dubiously entitled "The
    dream is back", I really am feeling good once again. Keep those posts coming
    folks because now MY dream is back truly. The only sin in posting to a
    newsgroup is to be boring. I don't think anyone here can ever accuse me of
    that.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan (known far and wide as the rottenest apple in the barrel) -
    Minnesota

  10. "Scott" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Group Moderator) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "The Testimony" by Robert L. Bass


    [...]
    Bass, what the heck

    Quoted message said:

    is this? Send such a message to your buddy on a private email. Or go
    to alt.jesusfreaks.whatever. Or at least have the courtesy to point
    out that Jesus led you to recumbents or something. ...

    Scott, the message that you are referring to was not posted by Bass, but by
    this stalker guy Group Moderator. There is apparently a history there which
    I know nothing of nor do I want to know anything about it. But it is not
    Bass who is posting this sort of nonsense, but Group Moderator.

    Frankly, I do not understand stalking. I am never that interested in anyone
    that I would want to expend any time or effort on them. I have only very
    minor problems with Bass and as far as I know he has been OK on this group.

    Mostly what people don't like about me is my style, which I must admit can
    be off putting. I do not hold it against anyone if they don't like my style.
    Sometimes even I don't much like my style. But I am too old to change
    anything about myself at this late date. I am stuck with me.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  11. Quoted message said:

    Okay, Ed. I'm with you. Bring on the firearms.

    Funny you should mention that. I installed a very sturdy shotgun rack on my
    EZ-1 SC and keep it 'filled' with a Mossberg 12-gauge riot gun.

    Drivers tend to give me *plenty* of room on the street, but I'm not certain if
    it is the shotgun or the rear-facing 20mm cannon on the B.O.B.....

    <LOL>

    James S. Prine
    http://hometown.aol.com/jsprine/

  12. Quoted message said:

    At 12°F I'd expect ice, sleet, snow, but not rain.

    LOL...Louisiana weather isn't subject to the laws of thermodynamics that plague
    the rest of the Omniverse <g>.

    James S. Prine
    http://hometown.aol.com/jsprine/

  13. Lars,

    I rode last year's GOBA (a 350 mile week-long ride in Ohio) with my
    daughter who stoked on our Bikee E2 tandem. Maybe it's because as
    captain I was slow as molasses on the hills but she wants to go
    again....on her Cannondale single. My son rides a Klein road
    bike...he thinks my GS is kinda dorky.

    In my own experience, young people I know don't have a recumbent yen.
    Too bad!

    BentJay
    GS GTO
    Bikee E2

    See my tour journal at: http://aroundthelake.crazyguyonabike.com

  14. Thats not the case in my area, every recumbent rider I've seen in the past 3
    years has got to be 35 or older with most in the OLDER category. Young
    people like to look at them but they sure don't want to buy them and the
    reason is people in the 20 to 30 age bracket think they are slow and they at
    least in the Dallas Texas area that IS the case

    Tonight I rode 42 miles at 21.03mph (low hills, some fast straights) and I
    cannot tell you how many people told me "Hey I didn't know those things
    could go that fast".

    "Lars S. Mulford" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:5Ky4d.3320$fa.2184@trndny09...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote


    "Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent"

    Howdy Ed and others:

    You're wrong on the above comment. Not only do I have two children who


    are

    Quoted message said:

    active bent riders, but they are girls. The love their bikes and get a


    real

    Quoted message said:

    kick out of whupping up on the young lads in our neighborhood who try to
    keep up with them. At least where I'm from here in lower Delaware,
    recumbent bikes are on a popular upswing and now when I ride every day, I
    see at least another one every time out. For an area as rural as this, I
    think that's terrific.

    In direct contrast to the comment you made above, there are significant
    numbers of young ones who are riding in our area. Perhaps it is an issue


    of

    Quoted message said:

    demographics or the like, but they're popular here, both with young and


    old

    Quoted message said:

    alike.

    --
    "Sea" ya!
    --Lars S. Mulford
    "You can find evil anywhere you look.
    The question is, why are you looking?"
    Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent.

  15. Quoted message said:

    Not only do I have two children who are
    active bent riders, but they are girls. The
    love their bikes...

    When I used to ride my DF the neighborhood kids wouldn't even give a nod.
    But when I drive by groups of kids on my RANS Vivo the almost invariable
    reaction is "Whoooa... Kewl bike!" Once in a while I let one of the
    neighbors ride the bike. They usually need a hand getting started but most
    are fine after a minute or so. Several have indicated they want to buy one
    themselves. I don't let kids drive the 'bent for liability reasons though
    many have asked.

  16. "Scott" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Group Moderator) wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "The Testimony" by Robert L. Bass

    Okay, Ed. I'm with you. Bring on the firearms. Bass, what the heck
    is this?

    Take a look at the headers, friend. I didn't post that. It's one of the
    nut-cases from the alarm newsgroup.

    Quoted message said:

    Send such a message to your buddy on a
    private email.

    He's not a friend. He's a stalker; been at it about seven years now.

    Quoted message said:

    Or at least have the courtesy to point out
    that Jesus led you to recumbents or
    something...

    Perhaps He did. I'm not sure about it, but I rarely mention Him in this
    newsgroup.

    Quoted message said:

    Now, what kind of bent would Jesus
    ride?

    Now there's an interesting question. I'd have to give it some thought. I
    suppose, being humble, he'd ride a BikeE. The Pharisees probably would have
    forced him to ride a DF though. :^)

    Quoted message said:

    Maybe a high racer because he could walk on
    water?

    He wouldn't need a fairing since the winds obey Him.

    Quoted message said:

    The Buddha, of course, transcended the need for
    cycling all together. He became one with the bent
    and then cycled off into Nirvana.

    Naah. I've seen plenty of Buddha-esque folks on tour and almost all of them
    drive trikes.

    Suggestion: Next time you think you need to complain about one of my posts,
    check to see who actually made the post. The one you're upset about wasn't
    from me.

    Of course, as a Christian I'm obliged to forgive your transgression. :^)

    Have fun.

    Regards,
    Robert

  17. Edward Dolan said:

    It is most likely the soap box racing car thing where the father is the one
    doing all the work and doing all the influencing. However, if kids are
    riding recumbents around on their own for reasons other than racing, then
    perhaps things are starting to change.

    The /existence/ of the KMX is very good evidence that it is.

    Quoted message said:

    Kids are notorious for their flash in the pan inspirations. But it is only
    the long haul that interests me. I do not see kids riding recumbents.

    I very rarely see /anyone/ riding recumbents, and I've come across lots
    of adults who wouldn't be seen dead on them. However, that is not
    conclusive evidence that no adults are interested, and that transfers to
    children, only with the added proviso that the affordability issues
    become even more acute.

    Quoted message said:

    Dundee. I think this area of the state was originally settled by the English
    and the Scotch,

    Scotch is a drink, made by Scots.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  18. Edward Dolan said:


    After all, there is only so
    much to say about recumbents without endlessly repeating ourselves. ...

    Surely there are other less contentious groups where you would feel more at
    home. Maybe BROL would suit you better. ...

    The only sin in posting to a
    newsgroup is to be boring. I don't think anyone here can ever accuse me of
    that. ...

    Ed, why are you here? You think recumbents are boring. You don't GAS about them. By your own admission, you are just here to argue. Surely there is a better place for this.

    BROL does suit me better, but it seems like this is easier to find for alot of people who want to talk about recumbents, so I do look in. It is irritating to see you constantly and pointlessly hijack threads. I DO accuse you of being boring. Incredibly boring! Repetious infinity!

    You will take that as an invitation to some higher level of invective, but that is the part that is the most boring of all.

  19. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Edward Dolan said:

    It is most likely the soap box racing car thing where the father is the
    one doing all the work and doing all the influencing. However, if kids
    are riding recumbents around on their own for reasons other than racing,
    then perhaps things are starting to change.

    The /existence/ of the KMX is very good evidence that it is.

    Most likely just another flash in the pan. Here today - gone tomorrow.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Kids are notorious for their flash in the pan inspirations. But it is
    only the long haul that interests me. I do not see kids riding
    recumbents.

    I very rarely see /anyone/ riding recumbents, and I've come across lots of
    adults who wouldn't be seen dead on them. However, that is not conclusive
    evidence that no adults are interested, and that transfers to children,
    only with the added proviso that the affordability issues become even more
    acute.

    Recumbents are only for the select few, but kids won't ride them because it
    is not part of their kid culture. The only kids you ever see on recumbents
    are those who have been influenced by their parents, usually their father.
    Not until kids are being influenced by other kids will the situation ever
    change.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dundee. I think this area of the state was originally settled by the
    English and the Scotch,

    Scotch is a drink, made by Scots.

    Main Entry: 2Scotch
    Function: noun
    1 : SCOTS
    2 plural in construction : the people of Scotland
    3 often not capitalized : whiskey distilled in Scotland especially from
    malted barley -- called also Scotch whisky

    Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

    You speak and write the language they way you want and I will do the same.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  20. "Mark Leuck" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    reason is people in the 20 to 30 age bracket think
    they are slow and they at least in the Dallas Texas
    area that IS the case

    Tonight I rode 42 miles at 21.03mph (low hills, some
    fast straights) and I cannot tell you how many people
    told me "Hey I didn't know those things could go that fast".

    To paraphrase the "G*ns don't kill" bumper sticker,

    "Bikes don't go slow (or fast), People do!" %^)

    So a paceline of "serious" upright road bike riders passed
    me and my friend on our bikes like we're standing still. They
    think, man, those recumbent bikes are slow. But my friend
    is riding a road bike. Do they think, "man those road
    bikes are slow"? No, they think that poor guy has to
    go slow because of his friend is on a recumbent! %^)
    I'm pretty sure when they pass a road bike rider, they
    simply think they're faster riders.

    The perception that uprights are faster than recumbents is
    skewed by a number of factors. Not the least of which is
    the fact to compete as a go-fast or wanna-be you "gotta
    fit in." Gotta have the 'right' type of bike, h*lm*t, jersey,
    aftershave... %^) Comparing the subset of upright riders
    who want to go fast with the subset of bike riders who
    choose recumbents almost certainly leads to no accurate
    conclusion regarding the inherent speed potential of
    recumbent bikes.

    I'm certainly beyond the 20-30 year-old range and likely
    won't ever sustain 21 mph for two hours, unless there's
    a 20mph tailwind. After I bought my first recumbent,
    my question to myself was why didn't I do this sooner,
    like when I was 20 or 30. I'm faster on my recumbent than
    *I* was on my upright and I have better stamina and I'm
    having more fun!

    If younger people don't want to try recumbents, that's their
    choice. There are a number of good reasons to ride uprights!
    There's certainly a lot more choices and availability over a
    broader price range. Even so, some (perhaps most) upright
    riders don't know what they're missing.

    I'd invite you up to ride the rural roads just up the road from
    Dallas where I ride, but I'm afraid I fit the stereotype of
    recumbent riders. I'd never keep up with you at sustained
    20+ mph average, but then neither would most upright
    bicyclists. %^P

    Jon Meinecke

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.