The dude from jersey who rides for Aqua Sapone

Ronde Champ

Guest
The below discussion reminds me of something. Does any East Coaster know Mario Bastinalli or
something like that - the dude who rode Sommerville this past year in an Aqua Sapone kit? He seems
to appear once a season at some Joisy race all kitted out Italiano style.

Is he a pro? What's his deal?

Thanks, Ronde Champ

[email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ran into Bostick on his bike commute tonight, we had a little chat. He says he will be on a DIII
> team out of Atlanta, with Gaggioli, Chad
Gerlach,
> Cameron Hughes, and a few others. Don't think Gerlach and Gagg will leave
the
> west coast all year, but they will do qute a bit of racing in the area, including the TdGeorgia.
> Team was put together by the infamous "Mapei Guy". Local 1,2 riders know
who I
> am talking about. We will see if it all comes together. Greg

The imfamous 'Mapei guy'. I have seen him at races. He does exist. Word from some riders in his area
(southeast) is that he actually believed he was on the team. He said something about being an
alternate for P-R the year Tafi won...delusional. Don't know what his connection to the team was,
but they said every year he would have the new Mapei kit and bike, the Lazer helmet, even the socks!

Chris

ronde champ wrote in message ...
>The below discussion reminds me of something. Does any East Coaster know Mario Bastinalli or
>something like that - the dude who rode Sommerville
this
>past year in an Aqua Sapone kit? He seems to appear once a season at some Joisy race all kitted out
>Italiano style.
>
>Is he a pro? What's his deal?
>
>Thanks, Ronde Champ

I've asked myself the same question. He has been at Somerville before in the Cantina Tolla kit - the
main sponsor before A&S. I did an extensive Google on him and could only find his name in the
results of some small amateur Italian races. He is not on the Acqua Sapone website.

I did this because we sat next to him and his family last year at Somerville. It seemed to me that
he has family that lives here in the States - maybe near Somerville. They mostly spoke Italian but
it was obvious that there were some Americans in the group. There was plenty of English being
spoken as well.

I'm thinking he is a posser.

Wade

ronde champ <[email protected]> wrote:
> The below discussion reminds me of something. Does any East Coaster know Mario Bastinalli or
> something like that - the dude who rode Sommerville this past year in an Aqua Sapone kit? He seems
> to appear once a season at some Joisy race all kitted out Italiano style.

> Is he a pro? What's his deal?

There is a Bastianelli family from Jersey that has a history of results at nationals in the 70's in
the Midget category. There were three, Stella, Diana, and Italo. Italo was the Midget champ in 1974.
The timing is such that Italo's kid might be old enough to race as a jersey pro.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Mario is from the central NJ area. He comes back for Somerville because it is his local race, at
least in NJ. He visits his family and does the race. He moved to Italy after an undistinguished
career in NJ, chasing the dream of being a pro. Now, he seems to be one of those fringe "pros". I
used to know him back in the late 80's early 90's when he was a junior. Back at that time, he raced
for Atlantic Bicycle Club. His family is an old Italian bike race family. The father's name is Tito.
Tito still races the occasional Masters 55+ race in NJ. Whoever referenced the national midget
champs is accurate.

David Sommerville wrote:

> "Mario" left a DNA sample on about 15 feet of prime New Jersey Pavement.

*******?

Mario does ride for Aqua Sapone. (We have some pictures of him with Cippo and Deluca). But any true cyclist would know that you can't race in a USCF race above the Cat4 level with another team's jersey. He has been riding over in Italy since 1991 and for the Aqua Sapone/Cantina Tolla team the past four years. He comes over from Italy to visit family once a year and to ride Sommerville.. The Bastianelli family has been racing at Somerville for years. (Actually my husband won a few times as a kid) We actually have a great picture of my husband with Pop Kugler as a midget rider. We consider Sommerville a family tradition. It isn't just a "Joisy" race to us. The reason we spoke Italian at the race is out of respect to my sister in law who does not speak English. Yes....Mario has won some races in Italy. They are actually quite impressive wins. You know the kind. HUGE hills(actually mountains) hundreds of pro and elite riders,(mostly the Italiano kind I think) I think you get the picture. I haven't seen any Cat 3 races like that in "Joisy" lately. Don't worry though. Mario will be in Italy this year. He is expecting his second child(the Italiano kind) this spring. Mario is not Italo's son. He is his brother. My 10 year old (who races) was quite flattered that rumor has it Italo's kid is a pro.

Wade, stop by at Sommerville this year and meet the Bastianelli family. My son wants to meet the man who calls his godfather a posser. Ciao!

Originally posted by Ronde Champ

The below discussion reminds me of something. Does any East Coaster know Mario Bastinalli or
something like that - the dude who rode Sommerville this past year in an Aqua Sapone kit? He seems
to appear once a season at some Joisy race all kitted out Italiano style.

Is he a pro? What's his deal?

Thanks, Ronde Champ

[email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ran into Bostick on his bike commute tonight, we had a little chat. He says he will be on a DIII
> team out of Atlanta, with Gaggioli, Chad
Gerlach,
> Cameron Hughes, and a few others. Don't think Gerlach and Gagg will leave
the
> west coast all year, but they will do qute a bit of racing in the area, including the TdGeorgia.
> Team was put together by the infamous "Mapei Guy". Local 1,2 riders know
who I
> am talking about. We will see if it all comes together. Greg

The imfamous 'Mapei guy'. I have seen him at races. He does exist. Word from some riders in his area
(southeast) is that he actually believed he was on the team. He said something about being an
alternate for P-R the year Tafi won...delusional. Don't know what his connection to the team was,
but they said every year he would have the new Mapei kit and bike, the Lazer helmet, even the socks!

Chris
:D

it's "poseur", "Somerville" & "Joisey"...and Mario Bastianelli is not on now, nor has he been ever
on any UCI team roster for Domina Vacanze, Acqua & Sapone, Cantina Tollo...whatever! it'sa alla
woppo crocka ****!

Originally posted by Themobe
it's "poseur", "Somerville" & "Joisey"...and Mario Bastianelli is not on now, nor has he been ever
on any UCI team roster for Domina Vacanze, Acqua & Sapone, Cantina Tollo...whatever! it'sa alla
woppo crocka ****!

My fault on the spelling of Somerville. The other two poseur and joisey I was knocking on the other guy. Mario does ride for Acqua Sapone. Mario is not on their "Pro" team. He rides for what we may consider their semi-pro "B" team or comparing to baseball their "farm" team. Mario does receive a small salary from his team. He does have a full time job outside of cycling. He usually races only on the weekend with other team members in smaller races throughout Italy. I guess if he or any of his other members of his team do prove themselves they can eventually move up to the big time. Mario and his family has never considered him to be the other " Mario". We are very proud of his accomplishments in cycling. He has gained great friendships with other talented cyclists and found his riding to be very wonderful experience. He made a choice to ride in Italy and be with his extended family. He was very fortunate to become and still is part of team in Italy. Mario has made it much farther in the world of competitive cycling then most could over dream of. I am not sure why there are a few cycling "groupies" thinking the Bastianelli family is trying to pull a fast one over on the cycling community. I think some folks should spend some more time on their bikes. If you know so much about the world of cycling why don't you spend the time mentoring some child who has some interest in cycling. This way you might actually contribute something to the world of cycling besides nonsense.

>He rides for what we may consider their semi-pro "B" team
it's called "elite without contract"; used to be called "dilletanti"; like a cat2 amateur in
USA. Most of the action is now in the U23 category and the "elite without contract" racing in
Italy is not much to brag about, especially in the south. Very few races in the 1.6 or 1.7
category where "ewc" riders can compete. And most certainly, riders on "ewc" teams are not
moving "up to the big time" but are older than 23 and are no longer eligible to race in the
highly competitive U23 category.

Most riders "ewc" hold two licenses and can rarely race in FCI events. Lamberto Righi's Almanacco
del Ciclismo 2002 lists no Acqua&Sapone sponsored "B", semi-pro or "elite without contract" team.

So if "your" Mario was wearing the pro team jersey, that's pretty amusing!

As for your nonsense about mentoring some child, whatever...

Patty B wrote in message <[email protected]>...

>Mario does ride for Aqua Sapone. (We have some pictures of him with Cippo and Deluca). But any
>true cyclist would know that you can't race in a USCF race above the Cat4 level with another
>team's jersey.

And I have some pictures of me with riding with Pros. Doesn't make me one. I have seen that uniform
rule abused a bunch of times...

>He has been riding over in Italy since 1991 and for the Aqua Sapone/Cantina Tolla team the past
>four years. He comes over from Italy to visit family once a year and to ride Sommerville.. The
>Bastianelli family has been racing at Somerville for years. (Actually my husband won a few times as
>a kid) We actually have a great picture of my husband with Pop Kugler as a midget rider. We
>consider Sommerville a family tradition. It isn't just a "Joisy" race to us. The reason we spoke
>Italian at the race is out of respect to my sister in law who does not speak English.

I wasn't knocking the fact that there was Italian being spoken. I assumed that Italian was the first
language for many of your group. I pointed it out in my post because that fact made me believe that
maybe this guy really did ride for A&S. But as I said, I found only one reference to Mario in an
extensive Google. No references to him being on A&S or Cantina Tolla or any other Italian Pro team.

>Yes....Mario has won some races in Italy. They are actually quite impressive wins. You know the
>kind. HUGE hills(actually mountains) hundreds of pro and elite riders,(mostly the Italiano kind I
>think) I think you get the picture. I haven't seen any Cat 3 races like that in "Joisy" lately.
>Don't worry though. Mario will be in Italy this year. He is expecting his second child(the Italiano
>kind) this spring. Mario is not Italo's son. He is his brother. My 10 year old (who races) was
>quite flattered that rumor has it Italo's kid is a pro.
>

>Wade, stop by at Sommerville this year and meet the Bastianelli family. My son wants to meet the
>man who calls his godfather a posser. Ciao!

I'm not worried. I don't do Cat 3 races and I've only ever raced in NJ 4 times in my 11 years of
racing. I was just calling it like I saw it. I did some research. Came up with nothing. I added that
to my knowledge of professional racing from working for a company that sponsored a few Italian
teams. Also my experience with Italian "farm teams" (Mapei and Polti) is that their uniforms were
similar but different from their Div 1 counter parts. So I came to the conclusion that the A&S rider
at Somerville was not really and A&S rider. You've shown me no proof to change that opinion.

Wade

I’m not sure where you two guys are getting your info from but it sounds like your getting the same bad intel that Iraq’s Minister of Information is getting!

This is my last visit to this page and thus will not respond to any further misinformation given by others. It is obvious that there are a few out there that for whatever reason seem to be pathologically obsessed with Mario’s career much like that of a jilted psychotic lover. I feel compelled not to educate these non-believers but to ensure that those that may read this are not influenced by their rhetoric.

I am not an expert on Italian cycling. However, a Google search of “Dilettanti” or “ EWC” found that these riders are indeed compared to semi-pro riders and not Cat 2 riders as “Themobe” may lead one to believe. (http://www.biciveneto.it/riders.htm). Although I cannot say for certain, I believe this to be the category Mario competes in for the Aqua & Sapone team.

PS:
“Themobe,”
Using an alias without an email on the web is nothing more than cyberspace graffiti.

See links below for some of Mario’s placings on the web:
Mario Bastianelli 74th place Cantina Tollo Aqua & Sapone Team
Mario Bastianelli 24th place Cantina Tollo (Of note is Danilo Di Luca, the 33rd place rider, and member of Cantina Tollo’s Professional team at the time.)

>Mario’s placings
the "races" that you cite are not even races; they are "gran fondo" events. Like a fast century
ride, not a real massed start event.

Mario's listed affliation is not the Acqua & Sapone team, but "G.C. Cantina Tollo (UDACE)" UDACE is
a second-tier federation, not affliated with the UCI.

So the original poster pretty much de-frocked Mario Bastianelli; "The dude from jersey who rides for
Aqua Sapone" didn't & doesn't.

Perhaps some people don't like it when Freds, even from Italy, show up at a great race like
Somerville and wear a pro team jersey when they are not.

just more cyberspace graffitio's from the Iraq Cycling Ministry of Information...

I find this posting curious. It is standard procedure for people to either BE or SEEM insulting on
the internet. If you think that politeness is so important that you can't read messages one must
wonder if you live under your bed at home.

The proper response is to ignore the jerks and hold a conversation with those who are polite.

http://www.fed-
http://www.idea-

"TheMobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Perhaps some people don't like it when Freds, even from Italy, show up at a great race like
> Somerville and wear a pro
team
> jersey when they are not.

Jesus.

So the guy's a poser. Boo hoo hoo.

What's the difference between him and our North American D3 "pros" who don't get paid?

What's the difference between that poser and the dudes who are on a club team and want all sorts of
free **** because they are under the illusion that the sponsors benefit from having them wearing the
sponsors' names on their love handles?

What is the difference?

Those 150 posers who are at the start line of a great race like Somerville are just ruining it.

Kurgan Gringioni

ps. I sent my "palmares" last week to the local Masters Fatties team. It got rejected. My body area
is not ample enough to display all the sponsors' logos and therefore would detract from the
marketing potential of the TEAM.

Let's see if we have this straight then - some Italian guy comes over to visit with his friends and
family. He likes to ride a race over here. They ride together and speak Italian between themselves.
He wears a jersey from his favorite team or perhaps he belongs to a development portion of the team
which is unknown or unclear. You object strenuously to this.

Is that because he waxes you so easily or because you hate to stand on the sidelines cheering on
someone that doesn't really belong to the team of your hero?

It really doesn't matter whether the guy is a poser or not. There are plenty of those around of all
nationalities (hint, hint). The real problem is that you are complaining about it as if it was
something important.

I suggest you get a life and stop posting anonymously.

"TheMobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >Mario's placings
> the "races" that you cite are not even races; they are "gran fondo" events. Like a fast century
> ride, not a real
massed start
> event.
>
> Mario's listed affliation is not the Acqua & Sapone team, but "G.C.
Cantina
> Tollo (UDACE)" UDACE is a second-tier federation, not affliated with the UCI.
>
> So the original poster pretty much de-frocked Mario Bastianelli;
"The dude from
> jersey who rides for Aqua Sapone" didn't & doesn't.
>
> Perhaps some people don't like it when Freds, even from Italy, show up at a great race like
> Somerville and wear a
pro team

[email protected] (TheMobe) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Mario's listed affliation is not the Acqua & Sapone team, but "G.C. Cantina Tollo (UDACE)" UDACE
> is a second-tier federation, not affliated with the UCI.
>
> So the original poster pretty much de-frocked Mario Bastianelli; "The dude from jersey who rides
> for Aqua Sapone" didn't & doesn't.

Whatever list you are looking at is a little behind the times. He rode for G.C. Cantina Tollo
(UDACE) and now rides (or did in 2002) for a similar organization which is affiliated with Aqua
Sapone. There are pictures around the internet somewhere of him riding in the US in his old Cantina
kit in 2001 or earlier. One of the shops I frequent know him from growing up. I really don’t know
what this is all such a big deal. From what I understand the outfit he rides for could be equated to
the elite (but not pro) squad of Colavita-Bolla. Its definitely part of the organization (but not
the pro part) and they wear the same kits and ride the same bikes as the pro squad. I don’t think
this makes him a poser….

steve

Steve Litvin wrote:
> [email protected] (TheMobe) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>

>>Mario's listed affliation is not the Acqua & Sapone team, but "G.C. Cantina Tollo (UDACE)" UDACE
>>is a second-tier federation, not affliated with the UCI.
>>
>>So the original poster pretty much de-frocked Mario Bastianelli; "The dude from jersey who rides
>>for Aqua Sapone" didn't & doesn't.
>>

> Whatever list you are looking at is a little behind the times. He rode for G.C. Cantina Tollo
> (UDACE) and now rides (or did in 2002) for a similar organization which is affiliated with Aqua
> Sapone. There are pictures around the internet somewhere of him riding in the US in his old
> Cantina kit in 2001 or earlier. One of the shops I frequent know him from growing up. I really
> don’t know what this is all such a big deal. From what I understand the outfit he rides for
> could be equated to the elite (but not pro) squad of Colavita-Bolla. Its definitely part of the
> organization (but not the pro part) and they wear the same kits and ride the same bikes as the pro
> squad. I don’t think this makes him a poser….
>
> steve

I'm picturing a baseball newsgroup in Italy getting in a huff about those posers that call
themselves the Pawtucket Red Sox. Imagine walking around in BoSox uniforms like they all thought
they were Pedro or something!

I'm sorry Patty's leaving. Those were some good posts.

Bret