the eagles nest

therebel

Guest
anyone walked up to the eagles nest at Berchtesgaden, Austria .if so which
is the best approach , how long to walk it , difficulty, trails very busy,
easy parking. any info at all really, can't find much info on the net.

"therebel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> anyone walked up to the eagles nest at Berchtesgaden, Austria .if so
> which
> is the best approach , how long to walk it , difficulty, trails very
> busy,
> easy parking. any info at all really, can't find much info on the net.

Keilstein

It's not in Austria, it's in Germany. Obersalzburg. Avoid the smaller rd NW
of it as it's
always got crashes on it it's so steep.

You can walk up if you wish although it is pretty hard going. I took the bus
which includes
a ticket for the lift. If you walk YOU CANNOT GET ACCESS to the Eagles Nest.

I think it's about 10km up the rd. Single track built by the SS. The gaurds
used to run up
the rd at a changeover.

It's surreal eating in the restaurant seeing where he stood etc.

http://winsoft.net.au/~bartonr/Berchtesgaden.htm

The campsites at Konigsee were full in Aug. I had to drive out for 10km to
find one.
And it was a crappy one that you had to pay for hot water for showers and
dishes.

Anyway the local Chalet with B&B was actually cheaper than the campsite !

And the german meals and beer is VERY CHEAP out of ski season.

Nick