the eagles nest

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by therebel, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. therebel

    therebel Guest

    anyone walked up to the eagles nest at Berchtesgaden, Austria .if so which
    is the best approach , how long to walk it , difficulty, trails very busy,
    easy parking. any info at all really, can't find much info on the net.

    Tags:

  2. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "therebel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > anyone walked up to the eagles nest at Berchtesgaden, Austria .if so
    > which
    > is the best approach , how long to walk it , difficulty, trails very
    > busy,
    > easy parking. any info at all really, can't find much info on the net.

    Keilstein

    It's not in Austria, it's in Germany. Obersalzburg. Avoid the smaller rd NW
    of it as it's
    always got crashes on it it's so steep.

    You can walk up if you wish although it is pretty hard going. I took the bus
    which includes
    a ticket for the lift. If you walk YOU CANNOT GET ACCESS to the Eagles Nest.

    I think it's about 10km up the rd. Single track built by the SS. The gaurds
    used to run up
    the rd at a changeover.

    It's surreal eating in the restaurant seeing where he stood etc.

    http://winsoft.net.au/~bartonr/Berchtesgaden.htm

    The campsites at Konigsee were full in Aug. I had to drive out for 10km to
    find one.
    And it was a crappy one that you had to pay for hot water for showers and
    dishes.

    Anyway the local Chalet with B&B was actually cheaper than the campsite !

    And the german meals and beer is VERY CHEAP out of ski season.

    Nick

  3. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "therebel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > anyone walked up to the eagles nest at Berchtesgaden, Austria .if so
    > which
    > is the best approach , how long to walk it , difficulty, trails very
    > busy,
    > easy parking. any info at all really, can't find much info on the net.

    Just found a good link.

    http://www.eagles-nest.de/index2_e.htm

    Nick