The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- Why Off-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited

wrote:
> Originally posted by Mike Vandeman I'm being a Pd.D. in Psychology. I
> don't need a license for that.

Doctor of Pedagogy in Psychology. You profess to teach that which you
admittedly do not understand yourself.

Nice.

Just nice.

--

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:50:41 -0700, "cc" <[email protected]> wrote:

..
.."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..news:[email protected]...
..> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:20:01 -0700, "cc" <[email protected]> wrote:
..>
..> .
..> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..> .news:[email protected]...
..> .> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:21:05 -0400, "tcmedara"
..> .<[email protected]>
..> .> wrote:
..> .>
..> .> .S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
..> .> .> davidmc wrote:
..> .> .>> Mike Vandeman wrote:
..> .> .>
..> .> .> {I will snip it now -- see how that works?!??!?!?#(*&#$@*@!)}
..> .> .>
..<snip>
..>> .> .> Bill "impressed, mightily" S.
..> .> .
..> .> .I was gonna comment on the same thing earlier, but I knew I had to
..live
..> .this
..> .> .one for you, Bill. I'm not even sure why I even look at these MV
..threads
..> .> .anymore, sorta like not being able to look away from the car wreck,
..even
..> .> .after you've seen all you care to see.
..> .>
..> .> Mountain bikers havd no self-control, or they wouldn't be addicted.
..> .>
..> .
..> .I'm not sure exactly who you think you are, but it must hard to make
..friends
..> .when you are clearly so superior to everybody.
..>
..> I'm not the least bit superior. I just tell the truth, something you
..should try.
..>
..> .It's too bad, Mike. Not just for you. I mean, you obviously are in a bad
..> .place if you continue to post here. You must realize that you're not
..> .reaching anybody, yet you continue. Which means that you really don't
..have
..> .anything better to do, enjoy the abuse, or like patronizing others to
..make
..> .yourself feel better.
..> .
..> .I think the worst part, though, is that your ilk give environmental
..> .advocates a bad name. I am a very green person,
..>
..> How do you express that? By MOUNTAIN BIKING????
..
..Mike, I do truly enjoy nature, and do so on my bike. I also find it a good
..way to get to higher elevations, and like to eat lunch out in the middle of
..nowhere.

Me too. But I WALK. Are you incapable of walking?

..Not that you care, but it's not all about "hootin' and hollerin'".
..
..We all do things every day that are not best for nature (if we're willing to
..admit it) because we enjoy them. If we are at least aware of the risk we
..pose, and do the best to minimize it, I think it's the next best thing to
..not doing it at all. After all, I do bike in part to enjoy nature.

Your motivations are irrelevant to the anmals and plants you are selfishly
killing for sport.

..Besides all that, I am quite active - and have been for a long time - in
..advocating many earth-friendly activities.

Mountain biking isn't one of them.

I also enjoy nature in many other
..ways. It's funny, I've seen much more damage done by hikers and equestrians
..than by bikers. Not that I care to argue about it, but do you post on ATV,
..hiking, and horseback-riding forums?
..
..<snip>
..
..> What do you think I am doing?!
..
..Mike, you do not talk with us, but at us. Generally I don't start
..conversations with others by calling them liars or accusing them of being
..stupid. I can see that you're above any level of compromise, but have you
..ever tried talking about how to ride less destructively?

All the time: stay on pavement! DUH!

..cc
..

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

As a college student a can respect anyone who earned their doctorate.
But I can not respect someone who declares themselves a PH.d. at the
begining of an article, for authority, while talking completely out of
thier field. As a college student, I also know how specialized people
are and how narrow thier education becomes as a grad student. Your
PH.d. gives you no qualifications here.

Bryan Donovan

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:29:45 -0700, bryan <[email protected]> wrote:

..As a college student a can respect anyone who earned their doctorate.
..But I can not respect someone who declares themselves a PH.d. at the
..begining of an article, for authority, while talking completely out of
..thier field. As a college student, I also know how specialized people
..are and how narrow thier education becomes as a grad student. Your
..PH.d. gives you no qualifications here.

Yes it does. Expertise in scientific method and interpreting mountain bikers'
pseudo-scientific "studies". But it takes ZERO scientific knowledge to report on
the OBVIOUS damage done by mountain biking. Anyone can do it, as long as they
are HONEST (that rules out all mountain bikers).

..Bryan Donovan
..
..Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]
..> ===
..> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
..> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
..> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..>

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> Yes it does. Expertise in scientific method and interpreting mountain
> bikers' pseudo-scientific "studies". But it takes ZERO scientific
> knowledge to report on the OBVIOUS damage done by mountain biking.
> Anyone can do it, as long as they are HONEST (that rules out all
> mountain bikers).

All mountain bikers are dishonest. Sounds like a pretty stand-up
hypothesis.

I'm going to go ahead and step out on a limb and divine that you in fact
have no higher degree than a B.S. tops.

I wouldn't even be surprised if you were a high school student with the
maturity of your debating skills.

Thats the joy of the internet, though. We all can try to pretend to be
whatever we want.

If you'll excuse me I've got to go pick up my Congressional Medal
of Honor before heading down to Cape Canaveral for my moon walk
this evening.

--

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:01:05 GMT, Joz wrote:

> I'm going to go ahead and step out on a limb and divine that you in fact
> have no higher degree than a B.S. tops.

I'm going to go out on a limb and divine that I'm not the only one who's
putting you in my killfile. If you continue to bite on every hook that the
troll tosses to you, you might find someday (if you ever want to post
something actually bike-related) that no one is listening. Bye!

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Bb wrote:
> -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at
> least)

1) If you want to kill file me, then go nuts. It's no skin of my nose.

2) I didn't realize you could set up a kill file without having
an account

3) What attitude?

--

Joz wrote:
> 2) I didn't realize you could set up a kill file without having
> an account?

Hrm, I always forget that I'm in the minority viewing this through a
forum and not a news browsing tool.

Bb - Even if I wanted to be off your kill file, I wouldn't have your
email addy to do so.

--

Joz says:

>Hrm, I always forget that I'm in the minority viewing this through a
>forum and not a news browsing tool.

That could explain a lot..... Those cyclingforums guys would like you to think
this is a moderated group (HAH!), and I suppose for you poor saps, it is.

>Bb - Even if I wanted to be off your kill file, I wouldn't have your
>email addy to do so.

Don't need an addie to killfile, just whatever name is stuck on your posts.
You can't take yourself "off" anyone's killfile - that's the whole point ;-)

Steve

Joz wrote:
> Bb wrote:
> > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at
> > least)

> 1) If you want to kill file me, then go nuts. It's no skin of my nose.

WTF are you talking about?!? (Hint: QUOTE!!!)

> 2) I didn't realize you could set up a kill file without having
> an account

No skin of our noses. (Sic -- or whatever the proper term would be in this
case.)

> 3) What attitude?

If you try really hard, I bet you can figure this one out. (Hint: it's
BB's sig file; wasn't directed at you.)

Bill "j/k Jozzie; we're really pussycats (bit of a stretch for that one)" S.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:15:22 GMT, Joz <[email protected]> wrote:

.. wrote:
.. > Originally posted by Mike Vandeman I'm being a Pd.D. in Psychology. I
.. > don't need a license for that.
..
..
..
..Doctor of Pedagogy in Psychology. You profess to teach that which you
..admittedly do not understand yourself.

Of course. Everyone does that. It's called "science".

..Nice.
..
..Just nice.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

MV blathers big time:

>.You profess to teach that which you
>.admittedly do not understand yourself.
>
>Of course. Everyone does that. It's called "science".

Wrong as usual - the word "science" means "knowledge", not guesswork

Steve "look it up"

Stephen Baker wrote:
> MV blathers big time:
>

>>.You profess to teach that which you
>>.admittedly do not understand yourself.
>>
>>Of course. Everyone does that. It's called "science".

> Wrong as usual - the word "science" means "knowledge", not guesswork

Actually I think a big part of science IS guesswork, followed by trying
to prove that the guess is correct.

Jim Messick says:

>Actually I think a big part of science IS guesswork, followed by trying
>to prove that the guess is correct.

Whoooooossshshhhh....... ;-)