The Election

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
Well, by this time tomorrow we should know the outcome of the election, but of course that doesn't mean the process will be over. If McQuaid wins, I hope and think Cookson will go to the CAS re: the midstream change in election rules. If Cookson wins, McQuaid has said he'll walk away. Of course, McQuaid's word isn't worth much these days, and I think it's likely that McQuaid will try to raise a stink of some sort. Could/would he go so far as to screw with cycling from within the IOC? I figure that Cookson has at least 19 votes: Europe (14), Oceana (3), and 2 from America (Canada and US). Does anyone have any feeling on which Asia, Africa, and the rest of the American contingent will go? The secret voting only increases the uncertainty. The whole story seems to have caught the attention of the cycling community. This morning NPR (National Public Radio) for those not in or around the US did a story on the election.

My man has just told me that Cookson's been elected in the last couple of minutes.

McQuaid tried to get the Thai and Moroccan federations to back him. Shyster.

Good riddance you clown.

limerickman said:
My man has just told me that Cookson's been elected in the last couple of minutes. McQuaid tried to get the Thai and Moroccan federations to back him. Shyster. Good riddance you clown.
I just read the same. It's a good day.

Reactions: limerickman
The election was shambolic by all accounts with McQuaid and his supporters trying to bring the election process in to disrepute.

certainly only step one in a long term reconstruction project for cycling. fingers crossed that cookson brings the sport out of the dark corners. More than that is a hope that he understands cycling's health involves more than a globe-trotting pro tour.

Stand by for the litigation. Don't count the fat douchebag out until Cookson is formally in. Get a Swiss court to issue an injunction preventing Cookson from being installed, pending an "investigation" into the voting process? Could it happen? Stay tuned.

Brian Cookson - 24 votes
Pat McQuaid - 18 votes

How the hell did pat get 18 votes? I'm guessing from Asia and africa were votes could be brought??? it's irrelevant anyway, Cookson won!!
cool.png