The electric bicycle is silent inexpensive and reliable.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> I meant appealing, sorry for the misspelling.

No need to apologize. The occasional typo doesn't bother me, but since
yours could be misinterpreted to the opposite of your intention (like I
did at first), I thought it should be clarified.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)

In article <[email protected]>,
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 04:32:56 GMT, RonSonic <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >I see them on the trails I've used. Usually a mom, recent immigrant with
> >bunches
> >of kids on bikes. Nobody rats them out.
> >
> >Now those little pocket motorcycles, I'll pay for the ammo.
> >
> >I'd guess that if you stuck to pedal power on the MUPs you'd get away with
> >it.

> Yeah. And where I live *most* MUPs are quite flat.

Jurisdiction matters: in British Columbia, limited-speed electric-assist
bikes (I think they can have a maximum speed of 32 km/h under their own
power) need no driver's license or insurance, just like bicycles. I
assume they would be treated like bicycles for the purpose of using them
on bicycle facilities.

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:50:44 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 04:32:56 GMT, RonSonic <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I see them on the trails I've used. Usually a mom, recent immigrant with
>> >bunches
>> >of kids on bikes. Nobody rats them out.
>> >
>> >Now those little pocket motorcycles, I'll pay for the ammo.
>> >
>> >I'd guess that if you stuck to pedal power on the MUPs you'd get away with
>> >it.

>> Yeah. And where I live *most* MUPs are quite flat.

>Jurisdiction matters: in British Columbia, limited-speed electric-assist
>bikes (I think they can have a maximum speed of 32 km/h under their own
>power) need no driver's license or insurance, just like bicycles. I
>assume they would be treated like bicycles for the purpose of using them
>on bicycle facilities.

Here all you need is a bunch of kids and a headscarf.

Maybe hand out brochures in the hallway of the traffic court. Sell 'em to guys
and gals who just got their licenses yanked for DUI.

Ron

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Jurisdiction matters: in British Columbia, limited-speed electric-assist
> bikes (I think they can have a maximum speed of 32 km/h under their own
> power) need no driver's license or insurance, just like bicycles. I
> assume they would be treated like bicycles for the purpose of using them
> on bicycle facilities.

In Ontario, Canada, same country, different planet. ;-)

From the Ministry of Transportation:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/emerging/index.h

Power-Assisted/Electric Bicycles

Cannot be operated on roads in Ontario

Power-assisted/electric bicycles may fall within the HTA definition of a
"motor assisted bicycle", but they do not meet safety standards (e.g.,
brakes, lights, etc.) for on-road use.

A power-assisted bicycle is a vehicle that:

* has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals
* is designed to be propelled primarily by muscular power and to
travel on not more than three wheels
* has a motor that has a power output rating of 500W or less (note:
the motor is electric, and is incapable of propelling the cycle at speed
of 32km/h or greater on level ground, without pedaling.)

End Quote

Marcus

>From a buddy: There are also newer electric scooters with pedals
(legally just a bicycle) that just arrived in Vancouver BC that have
close to 23MPH Ego-II e-scooter speeds. Still faster are the {est.
25MPH top speed} EVT-168 and {est. 29MPH stop speed} EVT-4000e scooters
which, unfortunately, are brushed, and use up battery charge quickly
imho. (EVT's in Canada may be faster, but I can't confirm that
definitively.) One other alternative is the [very comfortable] electric
"Harley" sold by ERide at 4th and Pine -- this is bigger than classic
Vespa's and require licensing like a 50cc. The electric Harley scooter
is brushLESS (you should confirm that fact independently) so it should
be using less of battery charge. The brushed-motor EVT electric
scooters also require licensing, btw. One excellent alternative to
ebikes and electric scooters is the powered electric bike TRAILER at
E-Ride, too. Made In Canada, and very practical, and MUCH safer for the
cyclist, imho. One upcoming line of new electric scooters is the E-Max
from Germany via China. However, I see from Jason's E-Max Diary and the
VISFORVOLTAGE forums that the E-Max scooters have allegedly serious
problems with their batteries and controllers dying very early, and
delays in getting replacement, etc. etc. So, even if the EMax
German/Chinese electric scooters have brushless motors and 40MPH
speeds, I would suggest to potential buyers of the E-Max that they
delay their purchase until such time that positive long-term product
reviews confirm the durability of the EMax, which is simply going
through growth pains -- that's normal for products from China. (The EVT
scooters are from Taiwan, suppossedly, but potential buyers should
check out that fact because Chinese-quality isn't as good as
Taiwan-quality imho in the bicycle industry. The VIN label should state
date/country of manufacture.) Oh, before buying an Ego-II electric
scooter, check out the latest forum postings about their customer
service.